Thread: Brucklay House

Measure twice, cut once. jeffthejoiner's Avatar

Default Brucklay House

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out the history of the above house which is situated at 70 North Mossley Hill Road. I have a little information regarding some of its former tenants / owners but I am trying to piece together the full story from when it was built to present day. My information so far is that Liverpool College once owned it to house' 4 Bachelor Teachers' it was used to billet Wrens during WW2, the Heyder, Whetton and Irvine families have lived there. I have yet to confirm that it was once the home of the Russian Consul! Any other information (early photos especially) will be gratefully received. Cheers, Jeff.

Blog Entries

Hi Jeff, fingers crossed you will get the info u need from someone
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

A History of the Blessig family Which mentions Bruckley House.

A Daily Post Article which has modern pictures of Bruckley both outside and inside.

The Liverpool Record Office seems to have lots of documents about it (spelt Bruckley for some reason):

Bruckley House, North Mossley Hill Road, Liverpool: correspondence, papers and drawings concerning premises and other properties of Donald Crawford in area. 720KIR/2640 1944-62

Apparently John Powers from the Cast and The La's stayed in Bruckley House during the 1990s - before refurbishment and he wasn't too complimentary.

As soon as I left The La's ', he told Melody Maker's Dave Simpson, ' Cast were formed. I lived in this mad place called Bruckley House. It was a great, lovely, horrible ******* of a house. Yeah, it was squalid. Looking at it, it was a dump. Dilapidated, no lights in the hall, pitch black trying to climb up the stairs on a night. But it was full of character, full of nutters, full of mad theories.

The eariest I could get was an 1892 advertisement in the Liverpool Mercury for a "THOROUGHLY good plain COOK within a fortnight" to serve at Brucklay House.

Sorry I have nothing earlier for you.

Measure twice, cut once. jeffthejoiner's Avatar

Many thanks, Fortinian, for your reply.
    I have seen both the links you posted but didn't know about the John Powers connection. It was the Blessig family link that led me to the Heyder family connection. I spent half of Monday in the LRO looking for Brucklay stuff with not much success but I didn't know about the Bruckley spelling and I am still waiting for responses from Liverpool College and the Russian Consulate. If I get anything else I will post it for your information, thanks again for your help.