Thread: Smithdown Road Cemetery?

Blog Entries

Default Smithdown Road Cemetery?

Has anyone heard any news about the prospect of them building houses on what is Smithdown Rd cemetery?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Has anyone heard any news about the prospect of them building houses on what is Smithdown Rd cemetery?
    I haven't heard this one but I'd be very surprised if the rumour were true. The cemetery is still in use and is full of listed monuments.

Toxteth Park Cemetery. I haven't heard anything. I'll look out for any notices. I can't think of where any new buildings would go, unless they demolish the derelict buildings at the Northern end.
    There are a about dozen Grade II Listed Buildings within the cemetery, though that means nothing to the Council.

Blog Entries

I was told that an article was in a Wirral newspaper, developers want it for land and there was recently a study about how much it would cost to remove the graves. The report concuded that it would indeed be too much.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

First they cut down all the big trees, then ripped out all the holly bushes. Surely they can't dig up the graves next as well.

Besides, what will Tom Slemen write about if this goes?.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The chapel In there Is also grade 2 listed so could be hard to get rid of that too.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

All of my family are "resting" there !, I would be outraged if anything happened and I am sure they would have to contact families before they could do anything.
    I did hear they where looking at another cemetary as the graves there are very old !, I think it was St Thomas ?? but am not sure.

First Interment in Toxteth Park Cemetery.
    Elizabeth Watling:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2563250...7525/?edited=1

Fine photograph, Marky. Thanks!

Keep us informed on the status of Toxteth Park Cemetery. Agree that the cemetery should be kept intact. It is too historic to lose.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Index to Burials Toxteth Park Cemetery

AKA Smithdown Road Cemetery.

Interesting web site with indexes to many burials

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    AKA Smithdown Road Cemetery.

Interesting web site with indexes to many burials

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/
    It is a wonderful site !, I have found many relatives burial sites which I am hoping to "visit" in the near future.
    The people involved are doing a wonderful job and are also very helpful.

Headstone tribute to England fast bowler buried in a pauper?s grave in Liverpool
    Sep 7 2009
    by Laura Sharpe, Liverpool Daily Post

LONG-lost relatives of an England fast bowler buried in a pauper?s grave gathered at a city cemetery to celebrate his life.

They laid a proper headstone in memory of John Jackson who died in a Liverpool workhouse more than 100 years ago.

Jackson, who earned the nickname ?Foghorn? because he blew his nose after taking a wicket, is buried in Toxteth Cemetery, on Smithdown Road.

The cricketing hero, who died in November 1901, was said to be one of the most outstanding fast bowlers of the 1850s.

Yesterday his great-great grandson Raymond Summers, from Ellesmere Port, joined 15 other family descendants at the cemetery to remember him.

Mr Summers said: ?It?s amazing that we have such a legendary cricketer in the family.

?All the time I was growing up I never knew he existed.

?It was only when my daughter and I started tracing the family tree that we found out his story.?

Jackson was born in Suffolk in 1833 and became a Nottinghamshire and All-England Eleven right-arm fast bowler, powerful batsman and occasional wicket keeper.

In 1853 he took part in the first ever overseas cricket tour and was photographed leaving Liverpool as the team set sail for Canada and the United States.

His overall first-class career record covered 115 matches ? in 1857 he took 111 wickets and in 1858 132 wickets for 1,228 runs.

Jackson was the first ever cricketer to appear in a Punch cartoon on August 29, 1863.

But his career was cut short at the age of 33 after he suffered a blood vessel injury in his leg.

After retiring from international cricket he moved to Liverpool and played for Dingle Cricket Club and between 1878 and 1880 for Birkenhead Grammar School.

Very little is known about his later life other than he died in abject property at Brownlow Hill Liverpool workhouse.

Mr Summers said: ?He had a great career and it?s not clear why he eventually moved to Liverpool in 1871.

?Until then he had kept his occupation as a full-time cricketer.

?But in the city he worked in a warehouse of some sort surviving on just five shillings and sixpence a week.

?In July of 1874 the cricketing association held a match in his honour with Trent Bridge playing the MCC. It raised almost ?300.

?He died in a workhouse infirmary on November 4 1901 and was laid to rest in a paupers grave in Smithdown Road Cemetery.

?It?s been fascinating finding out about him. I remember my great-grandmother Jackson but she never talked about him.

?She was a real character and liked a drink.

?But apparently she had fallen out with her husband Harry, who was John?s son, so that link to the Jackson family was lost and she never mentioned him.?

It was as Mr Summer researched Jackson?s career and contacted his former club in Nottinghamshire he discovered relatives living all over the country.

Yesterday one of those descendants Peter Collins arrived with a mini-bus full of long-lost relatives from Shropshire who met Mr Summers and his family for the first time.

They laid a new ?1,200 headstone at Jackson?s grave and held a small ceremony.

Mr Summers said: ?It?s nice to find new relatives and finally give my great-great grandfather the grave he deserves all these years later.

?I used to play cricket myself. It?s just a shame that none of his talent seemed to have passed down through the genes.?

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

A good story,Howie,and somewhere I'd like to do some exploring!

Default KIA Arras Sept. 1919

I couldn't find this man on CWGC, but the KIA date seems late to me.
    Toxteth Park Cemetery plot details:
    http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk...343&section=10

In Loving Memory Of
    Thomas Stephenson,
    Died 26th. June 1911,
    Aged 70 Years.

Also Annie,
    Wife of the above
    (rest obscured by grass)

Also
    Thomas
    Their Son