Crosbie Heights
After a long break, I am back in action. I decided to take time off after seven years running the blog. Not actually a holiday – I have been finishing six books in the meantime and they needed my focus. Now they are out of the way, I can concentrate on getting back on track.
Today’s title is very appropriate – it is the title of my new version of Paul Trevor’s fantastic photography of childhood in 1970s Liverpool. The work was shown at the Walker Art Gallery in 2011 and I published a soft cover book to accompany the exhibition. It rapidly sold out and has been in high demand ever since. It is now being republished in a new landscape format.
Paul’s work is in a word poignant. It captures the essence of growing up in inner city Liverpool. The hard surroundings do little to dampen the energy and enthusiasm of the children he photographed – although in today’s eyes, it is shocking how we allowed children (and still do) to grow up in such grim conditions. For one of the richest nations in the world, it begs many questions as to why so little is done to create a more fitting environment in our inner cities.

Haigh Street
Look at the school and its excuse for a playground in Haigh Street. How could any child flourish? Or the disaster of high rise living summed up in the top photograph of a young girl in her corridor playground.
I have launched a crowdfunding project on Kickstarter to get the book published. It is a fantastic collection of images – please take a look:goo.gl/e3Rj4a

More...