Liverpool Seamen’s Orphanage Institution / Newsham Park Hospital
Before 1869, there was no institution in Liverpool for the support and education of the orphans of British seamen. The first move to establish such an institution was made by a group of leading Liverpool ship-owners in 1868. On 9 August 1869, the Liverpool Seamen’s Orphan Institution opened in temporary rented accommodation in Duke Street, and by the end of that year there were 46 boys and 14 girls in residence. On 7 April 1870, Liverpool Town Council gave 7000 square yards (0.6 hectares) of land on the north-east side of Newsham Park to construct a Seaman’s Orphan Institution. On 11 September 1871, the foundation stone of new building was laid by Mr. Ralph Brocklebank, first President. The foundation stone of the chapel was laid on 1 August 1873. (wiki)
Below are several pictures of the Institution from the late 1800s.
BOYS AND MASTER ON FIRE ESCAPE AT SEAMEN’S ORPHANAGE Seamans Orphanage 1906 1890 SEAMENS’ ORPHANAGE MASTER WITH TWO BOYS AND A CRICKET BAT 1890’S CLEANING FLOOR AT SEAMAN’S ORPHANAGE (CHARITY) 1895 LIVERPOOL SEAMENS’ ORPHAN INSTITUTION 1895 LIVERPOOL SEAMENS’ ORPHANS INSTITUTION NEWSHAM PARK Share
The post Liverpool Seamen’s Orphanage Institution / Newsham Park Hospital appeared first on YO! Liverpool.