Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: St James Church dig up 2,500 bodies, including slaves

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Interesting pics, Cad, thank you.

To go off topic for a mo', just as as a matter of interest, does anyone know the significance of the 'rabbit'(?) on the church bell tower? There's a polar bear on the building on the corner of Prescot Road /Sheil Road in similar style.

Anon
    It's part of the Liverpool Biennial Arts Festival

Thanks very much for sharing the photos Cad

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    It's part of the Liverpool Biennial Arts Festival
    Oh thank God, that means it can't last forever, right? It's hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by annajane View Post

Don't worry, next time I'm up the tower, I'll change the fuse so it blows when it's turned on

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Don't worry, next time I'm up the tower, I'll change the fuse so it blows when it's turned on
    Your secret is safe with us
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by annajane View Post

Bad luck, it's not really part of the Biennial which ends in November but something called "Winter Lights" and as such will be there until February. Artist Ron Haselden has worked with primary schools to brighten up dark empty spaces. "Rabbit" is a 20 foot neon version of a drawing by a pupil of St Vincent de Paul's primary school. If you view it from the Cathedral Estate, as you go around the Pool of Light installation, you can't see the church and it just looks like a giant rabbit bouncing in the air. I like it - I think it's fun.

Was looking up the church today and have to agree that the blacks registered there are most likely Black Loyalists. I came across an article in the Daily Post from aApril 2007 about a group called the Lighthouse who are dedicated to preserving the church - their members include Pat Neill, Robin
    Riley and Lawrence Westgraph.
    The article says that many Black Loyalists frequented the church and by the 1780s, many people knew that one of the best ways of protecting yourself from being enslaved again was to get baptised, hence the rush to the nearest church to be baptised!
    The Parish Registers which still exist show many African and West Indian names although Lawrence also says that some of the black people in the records were definitely slaves. For instance, there's a young negro baptised in 1792, "with the consent and approbation of his master Thomas Aspinall esq." a well known slave trader from this period. The lad in question may have worked as a domestic servant but with no chance of return home, then that's surely slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi taffy

Thanks, taffy. Although I do not know the full facts of the St. James's church internments or St. James cemetery burials of blacks, one of my areas of interest has been blacks in the War of 1812. I also know that, as you factually say, blacks did fight for the British during the American War of Independence. Indeed as mentioned in an article that I wrote, George, Christopher T. ?Mirage of Freedom: African Americans in the War of 1812, ? Maryland Historical Magazine, Vol. 91, No. 4 (Winter 1996): 427-450, during the Revolution, Lord Dunmore, the deposed governor of Virginia, offered freedom to escaped slaves and they fought for him in what was termed an "Ethiopian Regiment."

Similarly during the War of 1812 some 3,000 to 5,000 former slaves were transported out of the Chesapeake, largely to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and some 200 men were trained as "Colonial Marines" fighting with the British in actions in spring to fall 1814 in the Chesapeake. These latter men were later rewarded with land in Trinidad and their descendents live today in three "company towns" in Trinidad. See The Corps of Colonial Marines, research by John McNish Weiss.

All the best

Chris

I thought that our website could support this event happening on 04 April 2009. I work in a school in Liverpool 8 and friends and supporters of the church have arranged this event as follows:

ST. JAMES? OPEN DAY - Saturday 04 April
    Chocol8 Hunt
    Aim:
    ? Engage with local community & provide information about what we are planning with the St. James building.
    ? Gain feedback about how local people think the building and churchyard could be used.

What we?re planning for the day:
    2.00 ? 4.00pm
    ? Power point presentation about St. James church inside the building
    ? Display about the church
    ? Chocol8 Hunt (Fairtraded chocolate eggs hidden in the churchyard for children to find)
    ? Face painting
    ? Egg painting
    ? Beat the goalie
    ? Pop the balloons on the bunny
    ? Refreshments ? soft drinks & hot chocolate

They are sending some flyers to our school shortly, in the meantime I've just cut and pasted the info sent through today.

Hope there's some interest! Will keep you informed

Default Official reopening of St James Church, Toxeth

St James Church, Toxteth has been officially closed for about 35 years. The Church of England has now officially regained legal ownership of the Church from the Churches Conservation Trust. Services have been regularly held in the church since September 2009 at 4pm on Sunday afternoons. Fascinatingly, these services are held inside a tent inside the building. So if you've ever felt the need to worship God in a tent, Liverpool now has this facility !!!

The church is run by the Rev Neil Short who has been tasked with bringing the church fully back to life. He will be officially inducted by the Bishop of Liverpool to the new Parish of Liverpool St James in the City on Sunday November 22nd at 4pm at the Church. Here's the web site for St James in the City

http://www.stjamesinthecity.org.uk/

This must be one of the few times that a redundant church building has been brought back to use as a Church.

St James Church, Toxteth has been officially closed for about 35 years. The Church of England has now officially regained legal ownership of the Church from the Churches Conservation Trust. Services have been regularly held in the church since September 2009 at 4pm on Sunday afternoons. Fascinatingly, these services are held inside a tent inside the building. So if you've ever felt the need to worship God in a tent, Liverpool now has this facility !!!

The church is run by the Rev Neil Short who has been tasked with bringing the church fully back to life. He will be officially inducted by the Bishop of Liverpool to the new Parish of Liverpool St James in the City on Sunday November 22nd at 4pm at the Church. Here's the web site for St James in the City

http://www.stjamesinthecity.org.uk/

This must be one of the few times that a redundant church building has been brought back to use as a Church.
    That's certainly one for the books!! Have you been inside Taf'? I've passed it many times,but was unaware of it's status,till I saw it on here!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Ready for Christmas bingo

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    That's certainly one for the books!! Have you been inside Taf'? I've passed it many times,but was unaware of it's status,till I saw it on here!
    Not for a tent service but I have been inside a few times over the last few years. The tent is there simply to give a more manageable space to heat in the short term. The title of this thread is misleading as there are no current plans to dig up 2500 bodies and no slaves are buried in the churchyard

It's great to see that it's being restored for it's original purpose and not being demolished or turned into a wine bar....Good luck to everyone concerned.
    "Such Power Exists?"

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Ready for Christmas bingo
    Well at least for the Christmas Service !!! Bingo does provide an important social function though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345