Liverpool Corporation Passenger Transport (known at first as "Liverpool Corporation Tramways") first came into being back in 1897, but did not run buses until 1910. In 1945, following the Second World War, the process of replacing the tramways with buses began. As part of the post war planning policy, slum clearance became a priority, creating new towns outside the main metropolitan areas that in turn needed appropriate transport links. Bus routes were, therefore, extensively developed to reach out to these new urban areas and their new commuters. By 1957 the entire tram network had been replaced by a new system of bus routes and in 1962, the Liverpool Junior Chamber of Commerce carried out a study on of transport governance. The result of that study was to recommend that a Transport Executive, separated from politics, should be set up to present the best forms of transport for the City.


ADVERTISING






Read more...