Still construction training opportunities for young people available. See below for details, together with this supportive article from the Liverpool Echo.
A perfect sunny afternoon for having a look at how things are going in Granby, Liverpool 8.
Walking along Kingsley.

Past Beaconsfield.

This end all done. Plus Dane at work on the far end.
But I’m principally here today to see how things are going on the Granby 4 Streets Community Land Trust’s ’10 House Project’.
The new Granby 4 Streets website.

All 10 houses are in Cairns Street.

Here we are.

A welcome sight in a busy street.

The Community Land Trust houses.

No. 49 Cairns Street.

We’ll be getting inside for a look round soon.

In between other occupied houses.

But first a quick visit to Eleanor and Erika of the Community Land Trust.

Glad to be getting on with things after so long planning and dreaming.

A warm drink later it’s time to go over to number 49. Last visited a couple of weeks ago when the contractors were just starting on site.
A look round upstairs.

The house is almost completely stripped out now.

Back to its bare bones.

The newell post awaits new hands to swivel round it once the house is all renewed.

Empty spaces turned back into rooms.

A new roof put on.

And new windows put in.

To look out onto a renewed street.

Liverpool Mutual Homes at work on the other side of the road.
Along the landing and down the stairs.

I’ve always loved seeing houses stripped back like this to where you can see the structure so clearly. Always feels like anything is now possible.
Out into the yard.

Occupied homes on either side.

Even the kitchen window’s been bricked up here, damply.

A breeze blocked back door.

Sunlight in the downstairs back room.

In the living room. Sunlight sneaking in like the future.

One last look around.

Through to the hall.

All clean, all clear.

Ready to begin again.

Once any structural needs are clear, number 49 should start to be turned back into someone’s home any day now.
From ‘empty’ to ‘home’

Together with 9 other Community Land Trust houses.

All two bedroom. Five for rent, five for shared ownership. And I’ll be back regularly to see how it’s all going.
Meanwhile, across the road?
Liverpool Mutual Homes are at work here, and round the corner in Jermyn Street.

Some scaffolding being taken away.

As the first five LMH houses in Cairns Street are almost done now.
Lots of people here today getting them finished off.

While the CLT houses watch enviously from across the road.

Their days in the sun now arriving.

So great to see.

A busy day on Cairns Street.

Taken from the angle where I’ve taken so many photographs of not much happening over the years.
September 2013.

Watched over by ghost signs from the past.

Reminding me to remind you again that there is a training opportunity right now for 50 young people to get involved here.
Seventeen young people signed up at this event, so there are still plenty more places available. Get in touch with Merseyside Youth Association at the email and phone number above if you’re interested.
Meanwhile at this end of Cairns Street, near to Princes Avenue, Plus Dane are on site.

So the whole place is coming back to life.

Piece by piece, brick by brick.

And on the other side of the skips and the clearings?

Decent homes and a new life for hundreds of people. And for the place itself. Granby 4 Streets, coming back to life on a sunny afternoon.
Back on Princes, at the end of Cairns Street, I get the bus home.

Don’t forget, the new Granby 4 Streets CLT website for detailed information about what’s being done by whom, how to get involved and applying for a home. And do pass the word around about the training opportunity for 50 young people.
Still construction training opportunities for young people available. See above poster for contact details.
Recommended article: Chomsky: We Are All – Fill in the Blank.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.

More...