Thread: End of Capital of Culture PARTY

Blog Entries

Default End of Capital of Culture PARTY

LIVERPOOL?S waterfront will be the setting for a spectacular people?s party to mark the end of Capital of Culture year.

The ECHO understands highlights from 2008 will be shown on giant screens at the city?s historic Pier Head.

Included in the audio-visual show is the new Museum of Liverpool which is taking shape on the waterfront and is due to open in 2010/2011.

The party is on January 10, 2009, after the New Year festivities are finished.

There will be celebrations during the day in districts including Wavertree, Toxteth, Alt Valley, Kensington, Tuebrook, Old Swan and Knotty Ash.

They will culminate in the evening extravaganza along the banks of the River Mersey.

It is understood plans to stage a Capital of Culture closing event at the ECHO arena were shelved in favour of the waterfront party.

Talks are under way with several Liverpool acts and city poet Roger McGough is understood to be writing a special piece of work to mark the occasion.

The party will include a singalong of Liverpool anthems before coming to a spectacular end with a firework display from two ships on the river.

The event will be funded by the Northwest Development Agency, Liverpool Vision, the Culture Company and the city council.

More details are expected to emerge at a culture meeting later this week.

The event will mark the end of Capital of Culture 2008 to the start of 2009 Year of the Environment.

Liverpool council leader Warren Bradley said: ?The event will mark the official opening of the canal link with the Pier Head.

?The council have had a lot of input, particularly in relation to the logistics of the event, and additional funding has been put in.?

Liverpool Echo

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

When did it start ? It has meant sod all to me this C.o.C.

True, the only things I could of considered a capital of culture event were La Machine, the Ringo Starr opening performance and maybe some other things that we don't get annually like the QE2 coming to Liverpool.

It gave the council an excuse to finally regenerate the city but they've messed that up too.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Red face

I live in Old Swan Ive not heard anything going on about the end of the CoC ??

LaineyT

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Well said Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    True, the only things I could of considered a capital of culture event the Ringo Starr opening performance
    Max, you have got to be takin' the 9155.

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    Max, you have got to be takin' the 9155.
    Well the opening even he did was part of the capital of culture ceremony. Most of the events that have happened happen annually so they can;t count as capital of culture events.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

More wasted money .....

You are right about the event Max,but as for his performance,he should have stayed at home.

I was on a chat room the other day discussing my post about how Capital of Culture was overrated and I got the feeling he misread or understood some of my points, even though he gave decent points. Sometimes I word my posts wrong.

I didn't say It wasn't successful like he thought my point was(It has been successful most of the year), I was saying was Capital of Culture was overrated and some of the events I could not consider capital of culture as they weren't unique and that we already get without Capital of Culture.

We wouldn't of got things like La Machine the bland regeneration In the city centre and the MTV EMA awards without the Capital Of Culture.

As for Liverpool one, that was planned before COC, but would they have approved It If Liverpool wasn't trying to win the COC? Places like Newcastle and Birmingham bidded for COC also and were regenerating areas to try and win It too.

Theres the fact a lot of the culture company event organisers wern't even from Liverpool and most of them ended up having to be paid off because of the contracts they had.
    Last edited by Max; 10-11-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.