In Victorian times the river Mersey was one of the most important rivers in the country, along its northern side was the port of Liverpool through which passed the extensive trade with North America and on the southern side was the port and manufacturing centre of Birkenhead with its shipbuilding yards. At the time of the Norman conquest Liverpool was a small fishing community; its rise in importance started in the reign of King John who required a port on the west coast in connection with his campaigns in North Wales and Ireland. In 1207 the King granted a charter to the town, and some thirty years later a castle was built. In time the castle became a royal one, through the Duchy of Lancaster, and it was eventually disposed of in 1718 to Liverpool Corporation who demolished it. Click on the link below to read the full article on Liverpool Picturebook.
Fort Perch Rock ©Tom Pennington