The MV Royal Iris, was built as a twin screw, diesel-electric, former Mersey Ferry. The vessel was built by William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton (Yard No. 1448) and launched in December 1950, costing £256,000. Her engines were produced by Ruston & Hornsby Metropolitan-Vickers. Her weight is 1,234 gross tonnes. She is 159 feet long and 48 feet wide, with a draught of 9 feet. At least during the first decade of her life, the ship's diesel-electric propulsion made her more economical to run than the other vessels in the fleet.
Cabin of the Royal Iris
on 6th August 1956 ©Trinity Mirror