1907, this triangular township forms the south-eastern corner of the parish; its area is 850 acres, the population in 1901 was 261. The area is extremely flat, and in the northern portion of the township the level of the landscape is scarcely broken by even the smallest trees, and the hedges are but scanty. The surface, occupied by cultivated fields, where corn and potatoes find a congenial soil, is a mixture of clay and sand. A few farms are dotted about the district. A patch or two of undrained mossland near one of the railways discloses the nature of the surface before the time of reclamation.
The main road from Liverpool to Ormskirk passes through Aintree and the Mersey branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway joined the Liverpool and Wigan line at the south-eastern corner. Aintree, is famous for its great racecourse, which was opened 8 July, 1829. The old village was in the centre of the township, about two miles south-east of Sefton church, but housing in the area developed quickly joining Aintree with Walton and adding to the growth of Liverpool.