The authors William Farrer & J. Brownbill writing about Toxteth, described it as follows:
This township, stretched for 3 miles along to the River Mersey, and stretches inland for 2 miles. The ground in the northerly half rises somewhat steeply from the river; inland there are several undulations, the highest point, at the corner of Smithdown Lane and Lodge Lane, being about 190 ft. The total area is 3,598 acres of which about half, 1,737 acres, was taken within the borough of Liverpool in 1835, and with the exception of Prince's Park is now quite covered with streets of dwelling houses; the outer half, with the exception of Sefton Park, containing 387 acres, has, within recent years, fallen largely into the hands of the builder. This portion also was included within the borough of Liverpool in 1895.
Take a look at the website for a whole range of - Old Photographs Of Liverpool - Articles - Links and other useful information............... Liverpool Picturebook