There is documentary evidence
of the existence of a boat and station for saving livesí at Formby Point in 1776.

It was William Hutchinson, the Liverpool Dock Master; who, supported by the Dock Trustees, arranged for Britainís first life-boat station to be established at Formby The exact date of the establishment of Formby station remains uncertain but was apparently between 1771 and 1776. A minute of the Liverpool Common Council dated 5 March 1777 indicates that the boat and boathouse had already been there long enough to need repair.

Read more..................