The RMS Carpathia, the British passenger
liner that was best known for rescuing survivors from
the ship Titanic in 1912. The Carpathia was in service
from 1903 to 1918, when it was sunk by a German U-boat.
The Carpathia was built by Swan and Hunter for the Cunard Line. Construction of the vessel began on September 10, 1901, with the laying of the keel. Following completion of the hull and main superstructure, the ship was launched on August 6, 1902. When finished the next year, the ship measured 558 feet (170 metres) in length and had a gross tonnage of more than 13,500. It could carry approximately 1,700 passengers. On May 5, 1903, the Carpathia embarked on its maiden voyage, sailing from Liverpool, England, to New York City. Although not as opulent as other passenger liners -it initially had no first-class accommodations- the ship became popular with both tourists and emigrants. During the summer season the Carpathia operated mainly between Liverpool and New York City, and in the winter it travelled from New York City to Trieste, Italy, and Fiume, Austria-Hungary (now Rijeka, Croatia). In 1905 the Carpathia underwent major renovations, increasing its capacity to 2,550 passengers and creating accommodations for first-class travellers. Several years later its service was largely limited to voyages between New York and Mediterranean cities.