Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool?s Independent Quarter

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool?s Independent Quarter

Never knew we had one of these too!

Oct 6 2008 by Richard Down, Liverpool Daily Post

SAMBA beats throbbed through a festival celeb- rating Liverpool?s Indepen- dent Quarter this weekend.

The Liverpool Samba School was joined by live music throughout Bold street and in eateries such as Cafe Union, while Laurel and Hardy look-alikes fooled around at the Soul Cafe.

To mark the Bold Street Festival on Saturday, balloons with the street?s name were handed out, as well as goody bags, and children were treated to magicians, face-painting, storytelling and a Design-a-Rubber Duck competition at Utility.

Dick Mawdsley, of Utility, who chairs the Bold Street Traders Association, said: ?It was brilliant. So many stores on the street took part and organised so many different events that it made a great day out.

?It created quite a lot of attention and because it was successful I think that some of the bigger retailers will come on board to make future events bigger and better.

?It helped reinforce the image Bold Street has developed as an unique area in the city.?

Visitors also got to see The Yoko Ono Ladders installation in St Luke?s Church, and the Atelier Bow Wow rockscape, on the corner of Renshaw Street, which are key parts of Liverpool Biennial 08. Bold Street retailers have previously spoken of their concerns that Liverpool One?s arrival could pull people away from their shops. But Mr Mawdsley said Saturday?s events were part of an ongoing programme to ensure the entire Ropewalks area did not get forgotten, but instead capitalised on its alternative reputation.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Never knew we had one of these too!

Oct 6 2008 by Richard Down, Liverpool Daily Post

SAMBA beats throbbed through a festival celeb- rating Liverpool?s Indepen- dent Quarter this weekend.

We don't have an independent quarter. It's just been made up by the Daily Post.

Blog Entries

Birmingham got carried away with quarters a few years ago.
    Gun quarter, jewellry quarter, business quarter, conference quarter, chinese quarter, one other I can't remember.
    How can you have six quarters? A city and a half?

They have the Gay quarter too which in all appearances is made of the backstreet's of the Chinese quarter. Good night clubs there.

The gun quarter now contains no gun making just sprawling factories and a boss recording studio. It used to be the place in Britain for making weapons. This i think is Birmingham's equivalent to the culture quarter.

Jewellery quarter is a large area and only a small part contains jewellery factories and the university.

So yeah why they created so many areas they only know

Did anyone get pics of Yoko Ono's ladders in St. Lukes.. I just find this strange to put ladders in this historic site..I believe I read somewhere it was for charity? Anyone?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broliv View Post
    They have the Gay quarter too which in all appearances is made of the backstreet's of the Chinese quarter. Good night clubs there.

The gun quarter now contains no gun making just sprawling factories and a boss recording studio. It used to be the place in Britain for making weapons. This i think is Birmingham's equivalent to the culture quarter.

Jewellery quarter is a large area and only a small part contains jewellery factories and the university.

So yeah why they created so many areas they only know
    Surprising how many jewellery factories/shops there still are though. Walked through from the Metro to Great Hampton St a few weeks ago (on my way to the Lord Cliffden) and was amazed by all the outlets.

Liverpool Echo said that Bold st has always been known as the independent quarter.

Always ?? ... I've never heard it called that in my life until this week

Me neither. I've always referred to the top end of Bold st, up Leece st/Hardman st and across to Canning as being rather Bohemian though. Lots of arty farty students and those of the guitar case carrying ilk

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I think what they mean it was always small independent shops in the early days while all the large stores were in Church St, London Rd and the like
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Surprising how many jewellery factories/shops there still are though. Walked through from the Metro to Great Hampton St a few weeks ago (on my way to the Lord Cliffden) and was amazed by all the outlets.
    Tis nice round there and about st peters square. OT but I miss the actress and bishop on a sunday afternoon with a decent pint and blues music

Last time I was in the Asha restaurant the owner was saying that all that side of the road was being demolished for yet another shopping centre. Is that still happening?

John

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Liverpool Echo said that Bold st has always been known as the independent quarter.

Always ?? ... I've never heard it called that in my life until this week
    Known only to the Echo, much as the Three Graces are/were! I still get a laugh when talking to ex-pat's about these, and they look at me stupidly and say, what's them,like!?!

New one on me! Just got used when guiding to say "Cultural Quarter" for William Brown Street and also talking about the 3 Graces (which only seemed to pop up when someone mentioned a 4th one) but not heard that one before. There is an attempt to turn the area around Greenland/Jamaica St into the New Cultural Quarter or something like that though.
    Last edited by julieoapw; 10-08-2008 at 02:08 AM.

I bet if they gave a little quiz to the Liverppol public, to locate these 'quarters' - there would be a few that no one knows.
    If someone asked me where the cultural quarter is - - well, that could be anywhere ! We have a number of cultural quarters.

When I was googling, I found that Hope St area is apparently the Creative area with the Greenland/Jamaica St area referred to as the Southern Creative Area!
    Boy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast