Heywood's Bank, Brunswick Street
Heywoods Bank is the earliest surviving bank building in Liverpool, and one of the first purpose-built banks in the country. Arthur Heywood, who was later to become the founder of the Banking house, came to Liverpool in 1731 and served an apprenticeship of five years to John Hardman of Allerton Hall, Member of Parliament for the borough in 1754. He was followed ten years later by his brother Benjamin who, in 1741, was apprenticed to James Crosby, Mayor of Liverpool in 1753. Arthur Heywood afterwards lived in Lord Street, where he also had his business premises. The construction of the building in Brunswick Street was commenced in 1798, in 1883, the business was sold to the Bank of Liverpool Limited. The retirement of two partners and the untimely death of a third is understood to have influenced Mr. Arthur Heywood, who had carried on the business since the death of John Pemberton Heywood in 1877, in his decision to sell.