Lime Street Station
Lime Street Station Liverpool although one of the world’s first true public railways linking Liverpool to Manchester, began as a terminus outside the city centre at Crown Street rather than Lime Street. In the very earliest days, trains were hauled up and down from Edge hill by ropes, rather than by locomotives.
The original terminus of the 1830 Liverpool and Manchester Railway (L&MR), located at Crown Street, in Edge Hill, to the east and outside of the city centre. Construction of a purpose-built station at Lime Street in the city centre began in October 1833, the land being purchased from Liverpool Corporation for £9000. A tunnel was constructed between Edge Hill and the new station prior to station construction in 1832.