Located on Tithebarn Street, Liverpool, Exchange Station was one of the four terminal stations in Liverpool's city centre it was also the only station not accessed via a tunnel. The grandly appointed station opened on 13 May 1850, replacing an earlier temporary station at Great Howard Street further north up the track. The station originally had two names as the joint owners could not agree on a name. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway named the station Liverpool Exchange Station with the East Lancashire Railway naming the station Liverpool Tithebarn Street.
Exchange Station 1850