In 1805, Liverpool City Council resolved to commemorate Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar by erecting a monument and voted to pay £1,000 towards its design and construction.
In Exchange Flags stands The Nelson Monument, Liverpool's first important piece of public sculpture, it was intended to "express the town's gratitude for the decisive victory of the English fleet at Trafalgar. To Liverpool merchants the defeat of the French meant that they could once again trade internationally in peace. Its architectural design dates from 1807-08, and the Friends of Liverpool Monuments consider it "the most important Neo-classical sculpture in Liverpool. The monument by Sir Richard Westmacott, RA, sculptor and Matthew Cotes Wyatt, designer has a granite. Pedestal made of Westmorland marble. Its overall height is 14 feet 2 inches.