Williamson Square, originally known as Willamson Field, has been a place of entertainment from the 15th century. It was a gathering place for troupes of itinerant jugglers, troubadours and orators. There were regular complaints to the City Fathers that those entertaining were attracting an unruly element and causing disorderly behaviour in the area.
In 1802, the building was demolished and in its place the distinctive curved lines of the New Theatre Royal graced Williamson Square attracting thespians from all over the country.

Read more...........