In the late 1870’s and early 1880’s, the annual number of Scandinavian emigrants passing through Liverpool reached 50,000. Therefore decision was made to establish a religious mission in Liverpool, in order to meet the pastoral needs of Scandinavian seamen and the growing number of emigrants, some passing through the port en-route to North America and other overseas destinations. The Swedish-Norwegian Church Council in London, where a mission had already been established by the Evangelical Patriotic Foundation (Evangeliska Fosterlands-Stiftelsen) in 1862, decided upon a similar mission in Liverpool.


The commission to design and build the church at 138 Park Lane, Liverpool, was given to a young architect, William Douglas Caroe, who went on to be a major representative of the closing phase of the Gothic revival in Britain.

Read more............