St Johns Gardens
In the mid 18th Century Liverpool began its
first phase urban expansion. In 1767 St Johns Gardens was enclosed as a general burial ground with a small mortuary Chapel. It was in 1775 that the first stones were laid for St Johnís Church which was designed in the gothic style by the architect Thomas
Litoller. Construction of the Church was completed in 1784. In 1854 work began on St Georgeís Hall, designed in Neo-classical style by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, winner of the architectural competition for the building.