Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Liverpool Prefab Houses

Dead right, they were still there in the 60's. Would anybody have a photo of them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I seem to remember that the pre-fabs on Garston Park (Long Lane side) had a flat roof, like the ones in the first thumbnail.

They were still there in the 60's, a single row along the edge of the park.
    Remember them well. We used to play cricket or football most nights in that park, when I was in my early teens.

Smile Our school sports...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Remember them well. We used to play cricket or football most nights in that park, when I was in my early teens.
    ...from Duncombe Rd. primary school were at the park, so we were there weekly.

Also used to play evenings and weekends there, and fly chuck gliders and even Jetex planes, but in the late 50's it wasn't a place to be after dark...

The local Nov. 5th bonfire/fireworks was also there, as well as the occasional fair.

Partsky

There was a small estate of prefabs on Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley, on the site of what is now the Somerfield. My friend lived in them unti the 60s. I thought they were great but she was ashamed of living there as she got stick at school for it. Anyone got any pics of them? I would love to see them. Years later, I found out that my Father in Law lived in one in Tinklepeg Lane (I am not making this up) in Kirkby, in between the Imperial Metals site and Knowsley Village although he always said he lived in a bungalow. Again, I gather he was teased because of it. God knows why. Where I live in Lydiate we have a small estate off the Southport Road called Seafore Close. They look like two storied hybrid prefabs. Local legend is they were built by either English Electric or Courtaulds for their workers. Hard to get a mortgage on them though.

Red face Long Lane Prefabs

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I seem to remember that the pre-fabs on Garston Park (Long Lane side) had a flat roof, like the ones in the first thumbnail.

They were still there in the 60's, a single row along the edge of the park.
    I lived in the Long Lane prefabs (number 33) from 1953 (Coronation Year) until 1963 when they were demolished. it was great living the with the Park as an extended back- garden.
    They were great little buildings with fitted kitchens, fridge multi-fuel burning stove, fitted cupboards in living room, hall, bedrooms and bathroom which also included a heated towel rail and partial central heating with heat from the burner. A large airing cupboard, and an immersion heater, front and back gardens, and even a pre-cast garden shed. The whole place was luxury. Buses past the door every 6 minutes, railway station 5 minutes away. Shops at the end of the road and in the village. Garston Park was a kids wonderland, footie, cricket, hide and seek, Punch and Judy in the summer, and a swing park with a "jerker" Been to the beam many times. Happy days, never a dull moment with magnetic football, cluedo and monopoly, didn't need an X-box. Then in 1963 moved to Halewood in an upstairs maisonette, "Enough said"

Many thanks to Ged and Norm, I'm happy you liked the info about the Long Lane prefabs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234