Liverpool School Of Tropical Medicine
Pembroke Place


During the late 19th century Liverpool became one of the most important ports in Great Britain. A lack of sanitation and shipping controls led to regular outbreaks of diseases in the city and often entire crews of ships would be suffering from unknown infections. Sir Alfred Lewis Jones, a prominent Liverpool ship owner, together with fellow business men and health pioneers, founded the Liverpool School of Tropical Diseases (later to be renamed into Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine) in 1898 with an annual donation of 350 for 3 years.
Read More...........