Thread: Toxteth Market

Blog Entries

Default Toxteth Market

Oct 1 2008 by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Echo

Please don?t take away our market

A POPULAR Liverpool street market must move to make way for a Tesco superstore.

Residents and traders claim they were given little warning of the plan to uproot the market so the abandoned Mecca Bingo premises, in Park Road, Toxteth, can be demolished.

Council bosses say they are trying to find an alternative site ? but have had little success so far.

Traders and residents are now fighting to save the market, which they say is a cornerstone of the community.

Campaigner Joan Williams said: ?They have been told they have got to be out by the end of October, but there are two buildings to demolish and our councillors say Tesco has not even put in an application for planning permission yet.

?The council says it is looking for another site, but nothing is happening. It is a real shame for traders and local people just ahead of Christmas. Once the market is moved, it will be difficult to get it going again. I know people look down on markets, but it is essential for the community.?

One trader, who did not wish to be named, said the council seemed to have little regard for the market, which he claimed was ?downgraded? to a car boot sale in April.

He said: ?It is a proper market, but they shut down the superintendent?s office and now they are calling it a car boot sale.

?It is as though they are trying to make it seem insignificant, so they can get rid of it.?

A council spokesman confirmed Tesco had not yet applied for permission, but said the firm was buying the land and the market would have to move.

He also dismissed suggestions the market was officially ?downgraded?.

He added: ?The number of traders has diminished over the years and there are very few there now. We are still trying to find an alternative site, but it is proving difficult.?

marc.waddington@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Tesco are taking over the world, I knew It. They have an excuse to take over Park Road though.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

I remember the old market up by High park street, i loved it there as a nipper. it was sad to see it go downhill. any pics of it around?

Surley there is room for a market in the area? i can see lots of open ground? could Tesco noy pay for a new site? after all they will make a fortune moving here.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

TOXTETH market has been given a reprieve from closure after talks between traders and supermarket bosses who have bought the site. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate