Thread: Liverpool Festival of light

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool Festival of light

EIGHT of the most innovative lighting designers in the world are coming to Liverpool this October to create a month-long festival of light spanning the River Mersey.

The Pool of Light is the most ambitious project of its type undertaken by the Professional Lighting Designers? Association (PLDA) and has been organised by Liverpool Vision.

The designers will lead teams of volunteers from all over the world ? including people from Liverpool ? and within workshops they will design and create lighting ideas concentrating on seven real locations in the city centre and Wirral.

The temporary lighting installations are delivered from scratch in just one week, and will be linked by a specially illuminated Mersey ferry.

The lighting designers, from countries including the US, Germany and Sweden have already visited the city touring the locations to ensure their talent and experience can create the greatest visual impact.

Ian McCarthy, programme director at Liverpool Vision, said: ?The Pool of Light is about Liverpool having the confidence to show itself off. Lighting is now recognised as important in making towns and cities better places and Liverpool has done much in recent times to make the city attractive at night.

?The extension of the working day, the blurring of the distinction between work and leisure time and the gradual shift towards the 24-hour city mean that lighting towns and cities is increasingly important.

?This festival will emphasise the benefits of lighting in making the most of our architectural heritage and how we are blending the old with the new in Liverpool.?

Five of the lighting schemes will be in and around Liverpool?s Baltic Triangle and the other two will be at Hamilton Square, Birkenhead, and at the ventilation shaft at Seacombe.

In addition, lighting events in this year?s Liverpool Biennial will play a part in adding to the night-time colour of the city, including the Hope Street Project, an art installation linking Liverpool's two cathedrals with lasers.

The switch-on on October 31 coincides with the Pool of Light ? Light and Scale Conference which will examine the importance of good architectural lighting and describe the workshop schemes and involve high-profile keynote speakers.

Guided walking tours will be available to the public from November 1. Cllr Jean Stapleton, Wirral?s cabinet member for regeneration and planning strategy, said: ?We have been working closely with colleagues in Liverpool on this project.

?Wirral and Liverpool will be linked at night by a specially lit ferry creating a beautiful spectacle on one of the greatest cultural attractions across the River Mersey, which is our most famous gateway.?

Cllr Warren Bradley, leader of Liverpool City Council, added: ?The Pool of Light should bring the wow factor again towards the end of our successful year as European Capital of Culture.

?This festival will also enhance our growing international reputation for imaginative lighting of our landmark buildings, but importantly this is also an inclusive project and our residents will also see the benefits imaginative lighting can bring.?

FOR further information on the Pool of Light, or to get involved, visit Pool of Light | Homepage

lizawilliams@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Just thought I'd add that I'm the tour guide on these guided walks and that tickets have gone on sale today at the 08 Place. You can also self-guide yourself by downloading a map from the Pool of Life site. The walks I'm leading will cover the 5 installations on the Liverpool side of the river and the history of the area too. They're going to be held on Thursdays 6,13,20 and 27 November at 6pm and on Fridays 7,14,21 and 28 November. Tickets are ?3 for adults and ?2 for children over 10 and OAPS. Pre-booking is essential. Should be a good night ending with a drink in the Jamaica Bar at the Novas Urban Contemporary Centre.

More info on my site atHome??? Liverpool??? Beatles??? Southport????? Public Walks??? Talks?? L
    Last edited by julieoapw; 09-30-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: More information added

Went on a preview tour of all 7 installations last night and have put a few photos up on my site:

New Page 1

showing the Novas CUC, St James Garden and Wirral Museum. I also went to the lighting conference and it was interesting to hear the meaning of all the installations.

Please note the walk on 20th November is now completely sold out and only a few places are left for 7th and 14th November.

Took these at Seacombe Ferry terminal Last night. Posted in Arts, didn't know this was here!

The Ferry (sorry still had long exposure on!)

And Birkenhead Museum

Last edited by corky100; 11-02-2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added a photo

Excellent pictures, julieoapw and Corky. I will have to get the sizzle back and return to the streets once again.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.W View Post
    Excellent pictures, julieoapw and Corky.
    I agree,excellent stuff

Quote Originally Posted by corky100 View Post
    Took these at Seacombe Ferry terminal Last night. Posted in Arts, didn't know this was here!
    Quite understandable Corky as this thread was under Festival of Light rather than Pool of Light.

Good shots!

Thanks for kind comments about photos - have plenty more but don't want to give too much of the surprises away!

great. at least this is going on for a bit yet so I'll be able to visit them myself when I'm better
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Oh, these are great guys, thanks.

I'll have to do some exploring myself!

Finally got around to posting up photos I took for the Pool of Light walks, on my site. There are photos of all 7 installations, spread over 3 pages. They start http://www.geocities.com/liverpool08guide/polphotos.htm here.
    Last edited by julieoapw; 01-04-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: correction of web address

Absolutely fantastic photos Julie. Well done.

Thanks Zappa. Just bought Mrs Zappas Italian book with the book tokens I got for Xmas so looking forward to a good read - looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    Thanks Zappa. Just bought Mrs Zappas Italian book with the book tokens I got for Xmas so looking forward to a good read - looks great!
    Well done you. Thank you for your support from both of us. I am sure you'll enjoy it.
    Keep up your fantastic work.