Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garston Waste Recycling Dump?

Blog Entries

Not to mention the Redrow Cressington heath that will be even closer, almost backing onto it!

The meeting was chocker, loads of residents old and new. There was very old lady (80ish) who got a huge round of applause. Most people spoke sense and I was disappointed to hear that Garston Councilor Peter Millea [who I've known since I was a kid] has a lot to do with this thing being built.

There's gonna be another meeting in a weeks time with lots of people being invited [Peter Millea] plus others who can't use short notice as an excuse next time!

There will also be letters being made [to lodge objections]available from 9am in the morning from Garston Village Hall until 8pm tomorrow.

This won't only effect Garston, Cressington and Speke residents but even further inland!

The company building it have been closed down in several other places around the UK!

40 tonne lorries carrying waste every 11 minutes, through Speke Boulevard, into Garston [already congested] 24 hours a day!

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks for the quick and excellent feedback Kev. Can't say that I share your surprise at Peter Millea's alleged involvement. He is the on the Council's executive board with responsibility for Assets and Development (including planning and transport). It is very rare that a proposal of this nature is made without some prior consultation, in respect of feasibility and liklihood of success, with those near the seat of power.

I begin to despair for us residents of Garston if this is the type of thing the Council feels appropriate. There is talk in high places and even on the local radio of how Garston is beginning to turn around. However for every good thing that happens it seems to me that there are two or three things which then take us in the opposite direction.

I cringe when I think of the millions that must of been spent on the so called upgrade of the Village, and the months of inconvenience experienced by us all. Is the village an example of good planning, is it architecturally eye catching, was it worth the investment and inconvenience? Are the numerous flat or, to use the modern parlance, apartment developments what was needed or wanted in Garston? Goodness me there are times when St Mary's Road and the Village, take on the modern day appearance of an old Wild West ghost town. Talk about planning and transport there is no evidence of any type of co-ordination of either in this area. I can't see it getting any better soon.

Thank you for the update, Kev. I'll be at the next meeting even if it means me taking a days holiday.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Good luck with your objections, Garston does not deserve this, it has been through so much in the last thirty years, and on my last visit(when I met Taffy) although still looking grim, looked to be turning the corner.

Default waste

Only just heard about this. I contacted friends in Cressington Park and they had no idea. I would say they need to leaflet all the houses in Cressington Park because lots of judges and barristers live there, that would light the blue touchpapaper at the council.

Blog Entries

I suggests they do, this will only effect their house prices more than the credit crunch has done.

I know someone who was recently given a 30K discount on a house there and the valuer for the mortgage company then valued it at another 30K less than the original discounted price!

Mad
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Waste recycling centre

Hi all

Went to the meeting this evening in the Village Hall. No representation from John Allen company, again. A plan of action is being formulated and a fighting fund has been established.

Another meeting has been planned for a fortnight today, (21st) again in the Village Hall at 7pm.

Lots of useful information gathered and shared tonight, along with some good proposals on how to proceed.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the report back.

I didn't hear anything about the meeting last night and was only told this morning by my mum.

Gutted
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Waste plant

we need to publicise this:-

index
    it has space for local resident's petitions.

I'm a student archaeologist, and have been looking at any ways in which this may be put to use. I've spoken this morning to my man-in-the-know and he's given me some pointers.

That's all I have at the moment.

Signed the petition, Voddiegal. Shame I didn't know about last night's meeting as I would like to have gone.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Blog Entries

MP joins war on waste site

Oct 14 2008 by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Echo

MORE than 2,000 people have signed a petition against plans to build a waste reprocessing plant in Liverpool.

The massive site, including several 30ft silos, has met with opposition from residents in Garston.

MP Maria Eagle said she had serious concerns over the plans to build the biological and municipal waste plant, saying it could hamper the area?s regeneration.

She said: ?This proposal is not appropriate to the area, given its size and proximity to residential neighbourhoods and the amount of heavy traffic it will generate.

?I fear Garston?s progress, and continued regeneration, could be jeopardised by a development such as this proposal.?

Residents have expressed fears about the volume of traffic the site will generate, with the company behind the plant, Jack Allen Holdings, admitting more than 200 lorries a day will access the site.

But the company said it hopes to transport much of the waste by other forms of transport, including rail and maritime.

Councillors said they fear that will not do enough to cushion the blow for the community. Cressington Cllr Peter Millea said the campaign against the plant was gathering pace.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Got a leaflet in my letter box today. There is a meeting this coming Tuesday, 21st October, at the Garston Urban Village Hall. 7pm till 8-30pm.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Fight the power!

Theres a waste dump In Otterspool which Is like 5 minutes away from Garston so why does another one need to be built?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Feedback

Another heated but productive meeting last night in the Village Hall.

Professor Kline, a local resident, has been in touch personally with Maria Eagle, she has responded to his letters and is now fully aware of the situation.

Again, Peter Millea failed to attend, perhaps he was too busy watching Liverpool play? Why we bother with this man is beyond me. As one gentleman said last night, if he won't come to the meeting, let's take the meeting to him! Great idea!

Again, Jack Allen Holdings refused to participate in the meeting. This leads me to believe:-
    1 They are surprised by the level of local opposition and are reluctant to face angry, informed and co-ordinated residents.

2 They are using this as a diversion and stalling tactic, so that as we are busy arranging meetings, they are concentrating their efforts elsewhere.

After talking to my archaeological colleagues, and reading what passes for the Environmental and Archaeological Impact Assessment allegedly performed by Jack Allen Holdings, I believe that there could, IF THERE WAS ENOUGH LOCAL SUPPORT AND INTEREST be grounds for further investigation of the area. In order to request that the City Council's own archaeology unit take a look at the site, there needs to be significant and sustained local interest in the history and archaeology of the area.

Obviously, as stated before, I am a student archaeologist, and by no means an expert, but it seems to me that a site with "multi-phased occupancy" (i.e. in use since Roman times) would be very interesting!

Date of next meeting to be decided, but probably 2 weeks.

In the meantime,

HAVE YOU WRITTEN TO THE COUNCIL TO OBJECT?
    ARE YOU DISPLAYING A PROTEST POSTER IN YOUR WINDOW OR CAR?
    HAVE YOU SIGNED THE PETITION ON THE WEBSITE?

www notothelorries dot com No to the Lorries

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, lets hope a positive outcome begins to look likely.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast