Sefton Park covers some 269 acres of land, it was acquired by Liverpool Corporation from the Earle of Sefton in 1867. Architects Lewis Hornblower and Edouard Andre, who won a competition that year, designed the layout.
The park was opened by the Duke of Connaught in 1872 and the Palm House in the park completed in 1896. The Palm House was a gift to the city by Henry Yates and designed by the Edinburgh firm McKenzie and Moncur.. The building is over 70 feet high has ,4,000 panes of glass and12,000 metal parts. The total cost at the time was £12,000. Inside were a collection of exotic plants the like of which had never been seen in the city before.
There are nine marble statues including the 'Whispering Angel' by Sir Benjamin Edward Spence, dating from 1850. Eight of the statues were placed outside the Palm House, four in bronze and four in marble, of famous explorers including Columbus.
Read More .........