Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ogden's Boundary Lane, tobacco factory....

Default Ogden's Boundary Lane, tobacco factory....

Hi

I live in Sheffield and used to be in regular contact with Ogden's most days as we were part of Imperial Tobacco. I worked at J & H Wilson snuff manufacturers which closed in 1989 and business transferred to Liverpool.

I was wondering if anyone remembers the 'snuff' connection we had or worked at Ogdens who's name I'd remember in the offices there.

I remember visiting Ogdens once and was impressed with the clock tower (I believe it's apartments now) and the huge collection of cigarette cards they had on the staircase.

I also remember all the good perks we had, 200 free fags every 4 weeks, productivity bonuses and annual 'gift' bonus! What company these days would do that.

I can still remember their phone number 0151 263 2231 and the address was Boundary Lane, Liverpool L69 1DT how sad is that???

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillybean129 View Post
    Hi

I live in Sheffield and used to be in regular contact with Ogden's most days as we were part of Imperial Tobacco. I worked at J & H Wilson snuff manufacturers which closed in 1989 and business transferred to Liverpool.

I was wondering if anyone remembers the 'snuff' connection we had or worked at Ogdens who's name I'd remember in the offices there.

I remember visiting Ogdens once and was impressed with the clock tower (I believe it's apartments now) and the huge collection of cigarette cards they had on the staircase.

I also remember all the good perks we had, 200 free fags every 4 weeks, productivity bonuses and annual 'gift' bonus! What company these days would do that.

I can still remember their phone number 0151 263 2231 and the address was Boundary Lane, Liverpool L69 1DT how sad is that???

Thanks!
    I never worked at Ogdens - too young - but I lived nearby in Dawber Street. Our neighbours were the Taylor family and the Ackers family and both had at least one family member working at Ogdens in the early 1940's to 1950's. I didn't think it was in Boundary Lane though, thought Barker and Dobson was there? I was only a child then so could easily be mistaken.

I remember the cigarette allowance though as both families always managed to have some for sale to neighbours...Robin was one brand I recall, although I don't and never have smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by seasidenan View Post
    I never worked at Ogdens - too young - but I lived nearby in Dawber Street. Our neighbours were the Taylor family and the Ackers family and both had at least one family member working at Ogdens in the early 1940's to 1950's. I didn't think it was in Boundary Lane though, thought Barker and Dobson was there? I was only a child then so could easily be mistaken.

I remember the cigarette allowance though as both families always managed to have some for sale to neighbours...Robin was one brand I recall, although I don't and never have smoked.
    Barker & Dobsons was off Whitefield rd - just by Larch Lea.
    Larch Lea doesn't exist now but Whitefield rd is still there. Barkers closed approx late 1970s - I remember it well.

George

Hi

Thanks!
    Dated a girl once who worked in Oggies and she'd pinch some Baccy now and again
    I asked how she got it out..."In me knickers" was the reply.

Thank god it was in a plastic bag...snuff said.

Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks!
    My wife worked in the office there in the mid 70's - before doing A levels at night school and finally going to uni.
    She'd deal with orders over the phone and was always getting in trouble for prolonging the conversation by asking where a place was if she didn't know it. She claims her geographic knowledge of the UK comes from doing that!
    She was Ruth Humphreys in those days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Barker & Dobsons was off Whitefield rd - just by Larch Lea.
    Larch Lea doesn't exist now but Whitefiled rd is still there. Barkers closed approx late 1970s - I remember it well.

When I worked at Dunlops, in Rice Lane, a fitter called Stan joined us from B&D. Always remember a story he told us.

The gent's toilet in the factory had a big line of cubicles. The apprentices had a habit of locking doors then climbing out. You'd be caught short and run for the loo, only to be faced with 20 locked doors. You'd have to crouch and look under the door to find a cubicle with no feet on show so you knew it was empty and could climb in.

One day, a guy who was particularly homophoebic was doing this and spotted two pairs of feet in the one cubicle. He went and got a bucket of water and threw it over the top, shouting 'dirty perverts'.

The door opend and two men came out. One had a towel around his shoulders and the other was holding a comb and scissors - giving his mate a haircut during work hours!

Nearly 40 years since I heard that story but it still makes me chuckle.

Default My ball.

When as a child growing up in Nazarereth house Crosby we were taken to lots of factories at Christmas for parties but the best party of all was always Ogdens. Sometimes they would select just two kids from each home because it was such a popular party and the presents were really good. One year I was selected and Father christmas gave me a proper case ball that had an innertube and you laced it up. It was the top of the range case ball and I was made up. One year we all went together from Nazarereth house and the kids all got the most smashing presents so thanks to all the workers at Ogdens and all the other factories.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Default ogdens

i never worked there but i remember going to school on the bus to breck road anfield and there was a big advertising hoarding with a guy smoking a pipe and there was always smoke coming out of the pipe

My auntie worked at Ogdens for over 40 years and left when it was closed down, she always said she loved working there. I was brought up on the Queens Rd estate at the back of the factory and was amazed by it as a kid getting shown round by my auntie, sad to see it now derelict.

Debra

Our neighbours in Sir Thomas White Gardens worked at both Ogdens , and Barker and Dobson , we used to buy bags of sweets every friday from them .. Stripey black and white toffee , Everton mints i think they were , and Bon Bons ...

Kevin my uncle worked in Dunlop for years , all the kids in Tommy Whiites had Green flash .. Red Flash and all kinds of flash

George

Your Neighbours Debra,thier surname didn't begin with a 'K' by any chance?

Debra

Yes there were girls with that surname George ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Our neighbours in Sir Thomas White Gardens worked at both Ogdens , and Barker and Dobson , we used to buy bags of sweets every friday from them .. Stripey black and white toffee , Everton mints i think they were , and Bon Bons ...

Kevin my uncle worked in Dunlop for years , all the kids in Tommy Whiites had Green flash .. Red Flash and all kinds of flash
    Hi Deb,
    What did your uncle do - I might know him.
    I was there from 1967-1973 but my dad worked there from 1961 until about 1980, when he had to retire from ill health.

Ogdens had their own crown green bowls team and a very well kept green to the rear of the factory. I played against Ogdens for the Coronation Hotel in the early 70s. Didn't win like!

My uncle worked at Ogdens as an accountant from after the war until the early 60's when he became a teacher.

Since this was before the days of computers, he could do large arithmetic in his head.

Now in his late 70's he can still do sums with 10 and 12 digit numbers in his head. When I was a kid we would do the same sums longhand to check him.... he never made a mistake and it took us many minutes...

When I was at university, I spent one summer working at the British America Tobacco Co. on the Dock Rd.

It had an incredible class system for the lunch rooms - and even the toilets.

Upper management
    Middle management
    Lower management
    Workers - Male
    Workers - Female

We students had to go everywhere to inventory equipment, so we got Middle Management privileges, and we were not searched as we left, unlike the "lower classes".

My smoking co-workers managed to stock up for their next term or two at university...

Did the BAT factory become luxury apartments??
    I seem to remember it was a bit North of the present Costco site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast