Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory in Duke Street

Default Factory in Duke Street

Does anyone know about a factory in Duke Street (Chinatown). The building is believed to be still standing and it was called possibly Langdon's?

My 85 year old mother thinks her aunt worked there and it produced work clothing.

I will try and post a photo of it later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_S View Post
    Does anyone know about a factory in Duke Street (Chinatown). The building is believed to be still standing and it was called possibly Langdon's?

My 85 year old mother thinks her aunt worked there and it produced work clothing.

By Gregs Dad:

Built in 1858 for Abbots cabinet makers. It had been extended as time progressed. Langdons extended the building in the 1930s. They made tents as well. There was a small workwear factory up Leece St on the left as well - not Langdons.

They folded in the early 1980s If I recall.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I knew many who worked there - including my ex wife. Lots of machinists & pressers producing work clothing.

It was called Europleasure in the late 1970s.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thumbs up Langdons

Hi,
    If my memory serves me well, Their Logo was a "Battle Ship"

Cheer's,

Tippo.

[
    QUOTE=Waterways;144106]By Gregs Dad:

Built in 1858 for Abbots cabinet makers. It had been extended as time progressed. Langdons extended the building in the 1930s. They made tents as well. There was a small workwear factory up Leece St on the left as well - not Langdons.

They folded in the early 1980s If I recall.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there a factory called Wetherall's, in that area? Made camping gear,or overalls,I think!

Weatherall's had a place in Colquitt Street, my ex worked there in the 60's, it was only a small place - on the outside anyway.
    Last edited by Davec; 07-04-2009 at 10:01 AM.

stan howard

Default langdon buildings uke street

i have an old 1924 reciept from john langdon and sons ltd, manufacturer of military accoutrements, uniforms, oilskin & india rubber goods, tarpaulins, tent, saddlery, horse clothing, outfitting etc. wholesale & export merchants and general warehousmen. government contractors, factories 75 old hall street, 35 - 39 parr street, 26 fleet street liverpool. corner of duke street, tele royal 4610 telegrams "militry" also offices at london and sheffield.

stan howard

Default langdons

the person who said that the trade mark for langdons was a battleship was nearly right, it looks more like a destroyer set in the middle of the the words uniform brand.

Blog Entries

I worked in Langdons general office from 1941 to 1950(office manager miss Proll)

The ground floor housed the wholesale warehouse selling foorwear,gloves,drapery bedding etc to the local shops; travellers were em ployed to sell the goods in various parts of the country. The next two floors housed machines for making boilersuits, overalls etc and tents. The very top floor with the small windows was the canteen where a cup of tea and a buttered cob cost an old halfpenny each!!! Happy days.

I have recently been informed that the building was originally a Scandinavian hotel, but I'm not sure about this.

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stan howard View Post
    i have an old 1924 reciept from john langdon and sons ltd, manufacturer of military accoutrements, uniforms, oilskin & india rubber goods, tarpaulins, tent, saddlery, horse clothing, outfitting etc. wholesale & export merchants and general warehousmen. government contractors, factories 75 old hall street, 35 - 39 parr street, 26 fleet street liverpool. corner of duke street, tele royal 4610 telegrams "militry" also offices at london and sheffield.
    That's a bit of a mouthful.

Default Langdons

I was very interested to see what has been posted about Langdons. My grandfather - Harry T Langdon - was chairman for many years and it was he who arranged for the company to be floted as a public company in the early 1950's. I remember the building well and went in there most Friday's to tell 'Mr Harry' (as he was known) that it was time to go home. Miss Proll has been mentioned - she became Company Secretary and was much respected. She became Mrs Hughes but was always known as Miss Proll. When Mr Harry was in his mid-80's he gave up the chairmanship to Geoff Jenkins who was his brother-in-law. In 1969 the company was bought by Electonic Rentals - a big TV rental company who had a camping equipment side and wanted to expand it through this acquisition. The site in Duke Street continued for a few years until Phillips bought ER; after that I think the business was closed. When I was last in Liverpool in 1998 the site was pretty well derelict with lots of broken windows which I found very depressing so the picture posted here cheered me up a bit as it looks as though the building is back in some sort of use. I have a letter heading from 1900 and one from 1963 which features the 'Uniform Brand' logo (the warship) and 'Cathedral Brand' which shows the anglican building. If I knew how to do it I would insert it here!

Blog Entries

As I mentioned previously,I worked at Langdons during the 1940's and I remember "Mr Harry". On one occasion when his secretary(Miss Sharp)was away I took her place for the day. I must admit that I was in awe of him but he put me at my ease!! I also remember his brothers "Mr Jack" and "Mr Ralph", the latter I think was an accountant. I did secretarial work for Mr D G Jenkins when he returned from the Dublin branch. I am now 82 years of age and still have happy memories of my time at Langdons.

Blog Entries

Nice personal touches guys. It sounds like an old film script or something out of Grace Brothers on 'Are you being served'. Love it. I meant your comments and recollections, not the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    I was very interested to see what has been posted about Langdons. My grandfather - Harry T Langdon - was chairman for many years....
    I am very interested in this thread, I am researching my family tree and Ralph T Langdon 'Mr Ralph' (accountant) was my Grandfather. I would love to hear more about the company and from family members

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast