Thread: Liverpool Saving Bank on Park Road

Default Liverpool Saving Bank on Park Road

I worked in the L.S.B on Park Road in the Dingle many years ago !, I had been using the Bank since I was about 2 and had always been fasinated by the high ceiling, mosaic floors and the beautiful glass and wood doors with huge brass handles, and it was the place to be quiet, the only sound I remember was the THUMP of the stamp when the cashier completed a transaction!.Anyway I ended up working there it was a joy to see the building from the other side of the counter.
    Sadly the building closed its doors years ago !, and remains empty there is a picture on toxteth.net.

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    I worked in the L.S.B on Park Road in the Dingle many years ago !, I had been using the Bank since I was about 2 and had always been fasinated by the high ceiling, mosaic floors and the beautiful glass and wood doors with huge brass handles, and it was the place to be quiet, the only sound I remember was the THUMP of the stamp when the cashier completed a transaction!.Anyway I ended up working there it was a joy to see the building from the other side of the counter.
    Sadly the building closed its doors years ago !, and remains empty there is a picture on toxteth.net.
    Hello squiggs

Welcome to Yo.

Great memories. Thanks for sharing this reminiscence with us. I'll seek out the photograph of the savings bank on toxteth.net

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    I remember it well my mum had her account there i could go in with her passbook and take money out with her permission. great big wooden counters.............. try that these days...if i remember rightly it became Martins then midland

Default Park Road SB

Sounds good, Squiggs. Tried to get up a pic on Toxteth net of how it looks
    now but no luck. Any chance of seeing one from somebody? Stan H.

Former bank, Park Road, two weeks ago. This ended its' days a branch of the TSB. There are still a few buildings of the Liverpool Savings bank, still around.
    Flickr has a couple of pics:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=tsb+park+road+liverpool

There's one on my site (streets page) of that block before the collapse too.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Park Road SB

Thanks for the pic Marky and for yours Ged. Not being a building expert
    I'm not sure whether all that scaffolding is a good thing or a bad. But I fear
    the worst to be frank. Will all the interesting things inside just go into the
    skip or is there some sort of agency on hand to preserve and/or conserve any
    better items? Stan H.

Devastated to see the old branch in that condition.
    I too worked there during the 70's and 80's and loved it to bits.
    We were always told that it was a listed building (as was the shop next door which was owned by the bank) and there was a huge argument when head office found out that they had dug up a section of the terrazzo in the porch to sink a rubber mat into it (the floor had been the main reason for the listing, we were told).
    I managed to save a few of them from going to the tip in the builder's van and used them to tile a thin strip by the back door of my old house
    I haven't been past the bank for several years. Is it still there?
    I'm hoping that sheet on the roof is suggesting it's being renovated rather than pulled down.
    I have to say, most of the "nice things" got skipped when they became computerised in the 70's (I got two high posting stools which I still have).
    Others went home with huge slabs of oak from the counter (replaced by laminate) and the oak cash drawers which were also replaced by modern ones (they were very hard to open and shut they were so heavy).
    They retained the paneling though.
    Ah, I could find my way around there in the dark - and often had to because the electrics kept going off!

Hillneerg.

I passed a few days ago and the old slates had been replaced with cheaper looking roof-tiles (the rear part of the roof wasn't yet finished).