YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rialto Ballroom

Thanks

Default Rialto Ballroom

The Rialto in Upper Parliament Street was a popular venue for ballroom dancing. If you wanted to dance on Sunday you had to join the Sunday Club.

Monday night was dancer's night and all the dance teachers and competiion dancers used to go there for practice.

ADVERTISING

There must have been a fairly strict dress code because all the men wore their lounge suits and the ladies looked resplendent in their evening gowns. A new manager came in about 1960 and the Rialto started to go down hill with riff raff being allowed in.

Thanks

My grandmother told me about it. She loved ballroom dancing and she used to go there. She said the people would be dressed up so smart.

Thanks

I also like ballroom dancing but dont get to do it much any more...I sometimes wish it was still like the 'old days' when people got dressed up to go out...ladies in lovely ball gowns and the men all dapper in their evening dress....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    The Rialto in Upper Parliament Street was a popular venue for ballroom dancing. If you wanted to dance on Sunday you had to join the Sunday Club.
    Here's a photo of the old Rialto before it was torched in the 1981 riots

http://toxteth.net/places/liverpool/...t%20street.htm

Thanks

My claim to fame ! is that I was on the 80 bus the night the riots broke out (the police stopped the bus and told us to get down on the floor) and the driver put his foot down and races past the Rialto, so I must have been one of the last people to see the building intact !.

Thanks

Friends of mine who lived in Sunnyside, Devonshire rd, had gone abroad on holiday for 2 weeks - had heard no local news at all - on returning home, got the shock of their lives to see Lodge lane smouldering and half gone !!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast