Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edwards' Grocery in Granby Street

Default Fishmongers

There was a fishmongers between Ponsonby Street and Cawdor Street that was owned by a large lady. There was no refrigeration and the flies used to buzz all around the shop. It was completely open to the front.

She used to sell rabbits too. They were hung outside complete with their head and skin.

She used to run charabanc excursions to places like Blackpool and Southport.

The other thing about Granby Street was that there were no pubs. I think that there was some restriction imposed by the original (Methodist?) owners of the land that kept any development 'dry'.

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    DaveH, I remember the fishmongers shop, I think it was called 'Warburtons'.
    It was on the block south of Selbourne St. I think.
    I think you may be right about the name. It sold various meat items as well as fish. When I remember it, it was run by a stout, jolly couple. They sold exotic items like shark. At one point in the 70s they bought in a huge whole tuna and there was a photo in the Echo or Post of them struggling to get it through the door. All you could see was this enormous fish and some legs below.

I remember the Tuna incident.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default Granby St

I live in the Granby and help to produce our local newsletter 'The Jangler' and I would love to uncover any old photos such as this one from Shytalk for an article I would like to run in a future issue of the newsletter. If anybody has any old pictures of the people, shops and houses in the Granby I would be very grateful to see them.

I remember Ted Bramwell, my mother used to buy our meat there when we lived in Granby St. 1959-64. His delivery guy at that time was Charlie Scott who lived in Bloom St. We had a shop at the other end near Parly. Bramwells stood out from the other butchers shops, he had a refrigerated display that filled the whole window. Below is a picture of our shop.

Smile granby street

DaveH, I remember the fishmongers shop, I think it was called 'Warburtons'.
    It was on the block south of Selbourne St. I think.
    '
    Hi My name is June and my family lived over Warburtons the ' wet' fishshop in fact my brother and sister where both born there in 1951 and 1953. Goodalls on the corner which sold all types of haberdashery , clothes etc The elderly Griffiths sisters lived above there . My uncle was the manager of Irwins on the corner of Harrowby street and my nan lived over mr Gibson the cobblers just down the road from Yaus laundry . For a time my dad worked for Mr Price the chandlers the end shop by Parly got a pic some where I'll have a look for it.

I don't remember a lot of the shops in Granby Street, but I do remember the Fishmongers and the Chandlers at the top of Granby. June your post prompted my memory of Goodalls, which I can now remember.

The other two shops I remember were the Lauderette and Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by juniper563 View Post
    '
    Hi My name is June and my family lived over Warburtons the ' wet' fishshop in fact my brother and sister where both born there in 1951 and 1953. Goodalls on the corner which sold all types of haberdashery , clothes etc The elderly Griffiths sisters lived above there . My uncle was the manager of Irwins on the corner of Harrowby street and my nan lived over mr Gibson the cobblers just down the road from Yaus laundry . For a time my dad worked for Mr Price the chandlers the end shop by Parly got a pic some where I'll have a look for it.
    I'm looking forward to seeing that pic. When I was in Granby the shop was run by a Mr. Abe Learman who I believe was Mr. Price's son in law, it was still known as Price's though.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Hi Ruth I have a few pictures you may like ,I lived in Granby Street from 1949 to 1966 As in a previous posting of mine I said we lived over Warburtons the wet fish shop 39a Granby then 121 Harrowby st over Irwins where my uncle was manager before moving to garston. Then we moved to 12a Granby over Mr Gibson the cobbler next door to the chinese laundry and then mum and dad bought a newsagents <Mrs Hughes> no 4a I'd worked there after school and saturdays in 1963 which was next door to her husbands second hand shop. All moves done on a handcart which dad got from somewhere . Dad worked for a time in the Prices chandlers the photo shows dad and Abe Learman on the step .One photo shows my mum, sister and a neighbours lad outside our shop. the other a view towards Upper parliament street no idea who the old girl is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad and Abe outside shop.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	10513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mum ,Ellen nd neighbours boy outside our shop 1962.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	804.0 KB 
ID:	10514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outside shop looking to upper Parliament st.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	10515  

I remember you June, the boy in the middle picture is Bobby Brislen, he lived over the chandlers next door to you, he was disabled. I think he had Polio as a baby.
    I remember your Mum and brother but not your sister, I don't think I ever met your Dad.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Red face granby street

Hi small world yes thats right its Bobby he had 2 sisters Carol and I forget the other sisters name. My brother and sister John and Ellen were born when we lived over Warburtons. I've attached a pic of me with our dog Bengo outside our shop taken with dads box brownie i think in1963/64
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me and Bengo outside shop 1964.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	770.7 KB 
ID:	10516  

Thanks for sharing these photographs with us, June.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

June, Those snaps are great, take me right back in time.
    The older Brislen daughter was Margaret, but known as Peggy. She was about the same age as me, would be about 70 now. She was a nice girl but quite shy.

P.S. Any more pics?

Sorry no more photos.... have found a peggy brislen on friends reunited and have emailed her will let you know if I get a reply ... fingers crossed

Does anyone recall Peewees barber shop on Granby Street, Am sure it was by the fresh Fish shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast