YO! Liverpool
View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

Brunswick Street James Street and Chapel Street

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Edwards View Post

Heywood's Bank, Brunswick Street
Grade II

Heywoods Bank is the earliest surviving bank building in Liverpool, and one of the first purpose-built banks in the country. Arthur Heywood, who was later to become the founder of the Banking house, came to Liverpool in 1731 and served an apprenticeship of five years to John Hardman of Allerton Hall, Member of Parliament for the borough in 1754. He was followed ten years later by his brother Benjamin who, in 1741, was apprenticed to James Crosby, Mayor of Liverpool in 1753. Arthur Heywood afterwards lived in Lord Street, where he also had his business premises. The construction of the building in Brunswick Street was commenced in 1798, in 1883, the business was sold to the Bank of Liverpool Limited. The retirement of two partners and the untimely death of a third is understood to have influenced Mr. Arthur Heywood, who had carried on the business since the death of John Pemberton Heywood in 1877, in his decision to sell.

Read more................

Submit "Brunswick Street James Street and Chapel Street" to Digg Submit "Brunswick Street James Street and Chapel Street" to del.icio.us Submit "Brunswick Street James Street and Chapel Street" to Google Submit "Brunswick Street James Street and Chapel Street" to Facebook



For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!