YO! Liverpool
View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

Remaining Architecture

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post
Despite two 'World Wars' and the poor decisions by Liverpool's planners in the past, much of the architecture that makes the city the envy of many others, remains. There are many buildings the city has to be proud of, these are just a few.



For some years after the merging of the various public bodies in the Council, the different departments continued to occupy their old offices, situated in different and distant parts of the town, until the great inconvenience, growing year by year in proportion to the increase of public business, compelled the centralization of the buildings also.

The result was the erection of the Municipal Offices. The architect at the time said, "the new building has frontages to three streets 60 feet wide, and a reserve of land to a fourth street of equal width, on which, at some future time, it is not impossible that a new council chamber (not included in the arrangements of the present building) and other buildings may be constructed".
Its general arrangement, is that of a quadrangle of some 4,800 square yards, with domed pavilions at the four corners, and a tower about 210 feet high, rising out of the north front. A wide corridor runs round the building on each floor, and in each of the four internal angles are placed, in direct communication with four main entrances, stone staircases, on each landing. The offices on the ground and first floors are considered to be of equal value, and are so treated architecturally, the corridor being groined in brick and plaster, and, together with the staircases, lined with a rich tile dado, while the whole of the joiners’ work, such as doors, skirtings, and window-linings, is of wainscot oak.


1878 – The Exchange Art Galleries, Liverpool



Commercial art galleries for Messrs. Agnew & Sons, published in The Building News, September 20th 1878. Agnew & Sons were prominent art dealers, with premises in Manchester and London with an International reputation. A prominent site at the junction of Dale and Castle Streets, the building has a chamfered corner. Built in red brick with terracotta ornament, the building stands today intact as designed
Read More …..

Submit "Remaining Architecture" to Digg Submit "Remaining Architecture" to del.icio.us Submit "Remaining Architecture" to Google Submit "Remaining Architecture" to Facebook

Comments

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @LiverpoolInPictures / Join the Facebook Group: Liverpool In Pictures (YO! Liverpool)

YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain. If you like the website, please donate via PayPal!