YO! Liverpool
View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

Port of Liverpool Building

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Edwards View Post
The history of the Port of Liverpool Building dates back to 1898, when the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board (MDHB) decided to close down and infill George's Dock. The land was sold to the Liverpool Corporation in 1900, although the MDHB opted to keep the southern section, so that they could build a new central headquarters for the company, having been previously located at various sites around the city, including the Old Custom's House. It was completed in 1907 at a cost of approximately 250,000, although when the cost of furniture, fittings and professional fees was taken into account, the total cost was nearer 350,000. Staff from the MDHB headquarters officially moved into the building on 15 July 1907, with staff from departments located in other areas of the city moving in throughout the rest of the year. The building acted as the head offices of the MDHB (renamed the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company in 1972) for some 87 years.

Click here to visit Liverpool Picturebook

Submit "Port of Liverpool Building" to Digg Submit "Port of Liverpool Building" to del.icio.us Submit "Port of Liverpool Building" to Google Submit "Port of Liverpool Building" to Facebook

Tags: mdhb, port Add / Edit Tags


For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!