View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. R.I.P Geoffrey Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post
    Geoffrey Hughes
    2 February 1944 – 27 July 2012

Geoffrey attended Ranworth Square Primary School, Liverpool, until the age of 11. He then moved on to attending Abbotsford Secondary Modern School in Norris Green, Liverpool 11. He started his career in repertory at the Victoria Theatre in Stoke-on-Trent. This was followed by his first West End production, the Lionel Bart and Alun Owen musical,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sir John Moores Littlewoods

Today we take mail order shopping for granted but in 1930s Liverpool unemployment was rife and obtaining credit was no easy matter for many cash-strapped families. John Moores' solution was to offer his customers a 'turn club' system of credit. The idea was that people would get together and form clubs and each member would pay one shilling a week into the kitty. Moores
  3. Gambier Terrace and St James Mount

Gambier Terrace in Liverpool is a row of houses situated on a terrace overlooking St. James Mount and Gardens and Liverpool Cathedral it was named after James Gambier. From number 1 to 10 are Grade II* Listed Buildings. They were designed by John Foster. Together with Hope Street and Rodney Street it forms the Rodney Street conservation area.

The terrace was
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. What a Morning !

Today I had a Hospital appointment for an Colonoscopy, I was hoping to upload some photos for you all to see, but in my haste to get out of the hospital for some much needed grub, I forgot to ask for my best side. After fasting since noon yesterday and taking Picolax to cleanse my soul, I was ready to eat a scabby dog. Anyway, I was up at 0600hrs rearing to go for my appointment for 0800. I arrived a 0750 and took a seat in the waiting room where I met a lovely young lady, she asked me if I was ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Merseyside's Industries (Part Two)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Edwards View Post

The 19th century was a period of massive industrialisation and urbanisation across Britain and this was reflected in the Merseyside region. Although Liverpool was by far the largest urban centre within Merseyside, the development of a canal system and rail links throughout this period ensured better communications which allowed existing industries to expand and new ones to develop.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12