View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

A site dedicated to photographs and History of old Liverpool

1. Liverpool's Prisons

Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post

Liverpool’s first Gaol was Liverpool Tower; the tower was built largely in the 15th century and by the mid-1700s was in such a bad state that prisoners frequently escaped. There is still a small alleyway, next to St Nicholas church called Prison Weint. The alleyway today runs between the rear of Tower Building and St Nicholas Church.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Shakespeare Theatre

The Shakespeare Theatre opened in Fraser Street 1888 by the proprietor Mr Ellis Brammall jun. and was built by J H Havelock-Sutton who also built the Park Palace Music Hall in 1893 and the Metropole Theatre in Bootle in 1911, both the Metropole and the Park Palace have since been demolished A description of The Shakespeare Theatre from Kelly's Directory of Liverpool 1894 reads
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Adelphi Hotel

The Adelphi Hotel is a landmark building for everyone born in the city, we have all walked past and gazed at the magnificent building, some have attended function there over the years from Weddings to Christmas parties, but what of the history of this iconic building.

The first Adelphi Hotel on the present site was opened in 1826 by owner James Radley.
    Tags: adelphi, hotel Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The James William Carling Story

The Pavement Artist (A Liverpool tale)

Addison Street 1929

James William Carling (1857–1887) was a pavement artist from Liverpool.

Carling was born at 38 Addison Street, Liverpool in the Holy Cross parish in 1857. He was the son of extremely poor Irish parents. From an early age James was known as the "little
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Churches and Religions in Liverpool

This project began when I was asked to find out the origins of several churches in Liverpool and the dates of their demolition. It was whilst researching this information I realised the vast number of different churches and indeed religions that have sprung up throughout the city from the early beginnings of, Walton on the Hill and St Mary Del Key (Quay) at the Pier Head. It is then, out of necessity that I have written such a long article, I did consider publishing it on the website in two chapters,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast