View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

A site dedicated to photographs and History of old Liverpool

1. The Liverpool Underworld: Crime in the City

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Edwards View Post
    Crime in the City, 1750-1900

In 1850 Thomas Carter, the Anglican chaplain of the Liverpool Borough Gaol, admitted that ‘our town has been acknowledged to be one of the most unhealthy towns in the kingdom. It is certainly notorious for being (so far as the criminal statistics show it) the most immoral.’ yet in the same year the Liverpool Mercury warned, ‘There is nothing more dangerous, in our estimate of the causes of social evil, than an implicit reliance on statistical
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Constable John Arrowsmith Storey

Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post

I have said many times that one of the great things about running a local history website, is the information that comes from the people who use the site.
    A lady recently posted a photograph on my ‘Liverpool Picturebook, Facebook page of her Great Grandfather, who was a Police Officer with both Lancashire Constabulary and Liverpool City Police, I contacted her to see what
    Tags: city, police Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The 1919 Police Strike in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post
    Ninety three years ago, during the aftermath of the first world war, labour unrest and disaffection in Britain were pronounced and widespread. The end of hostilities had immediately brought to the fore all those industrial problems which had been either set aside or dealt with on only a temporary basis during the war.' Nowhere was this more apparent than in the police service. Here mounting discontent culminated in strike action in certain parts of the country both in
    Tags: 1919, police, strike Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized