PDA

View Full Version : cabbage hall, empress road, liverpool

gilesc
05-29-2011, 09:45 AM
hello, does anyone know how the area known as cabbage hall got its name?
gilesc

steveb
05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
hello, does anyone know how the area known as cabbage hall got its name?
gilesc

I would imagine because of the farm land around there, and possibly
a hall :-)

gilesc
05-30-2011, 09:27 AM
hi steveb, many thanks for this. maybe i'll check with liverpool ro to see if i can find out more. all the best gilesc

Ged
05-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Empress Road as requested in your email.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7245/empressroadgypsycaravan.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/empressroadgypsycaravan.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

lindylou
05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Ged are you sure it's Empress rd in Anfield and not Empress rd Kensington ?

It's just that I'm having trouble working out where these caravans are :confused:

I know every inch of Empress rd :)
One side, the left side looking from the lane, has no street at the back because the far end houses back onto the field (Breckside) and the houses nearest to Townsend Lane end back onto the former school yard of Queen of All Saints (where a medical centre is currently being constructed).

Hard to explain, but other right hand side of the street has no back entry to the far houses nearest to the field - they are built back to back with yard/gardens that join the yard/gardens of houses in Lampeter rd - but there are half a dozen houses nearest to Townsend Lane that have just a short alleyway (behind where the car wash place is now).

So looking at the pic of the caravans I can't make out at all where they would be.
The houses to the side of them indicate that they are looking at the backs of houses from the postition of where the Townsend Lane car wash is now. The caravans must be situated on Townsend/Lampeter corner looking towards Empress.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/rubinda/avatars/e20301.gif

I'm working this out for myself aren't I ! :lol: but SteveB - perhaps you can work this one out !? :) (Steve knows the road well like I do) :) .. it just looks a bit confusing from that angle.
It's interesting doing a bit of detective work .. that's why I'm double checking Ged if his picture is Anfield and not Kensington Empress rd :)

I happen to have some pics I took for street View -

pic one - Empress rd with car wash to the right , pic 2 - Lampeter rd (car wash is to the left) and Elm pub, pic 3 is Townsend Lane and construction site (where school yard used to back onto part of Empress). Pic 4 Empress rd again with car wash to the right (you can see Breckside playing field at the end of street). pic 5 Claude rd is the next rd to Lampeter and where the Elm pub beer garden backs onto.

steveb
05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
The photo is February 1927, and Iam fairly sure
it is Empress Road Liverpool 7 and not L4, as I don't
reconize it as L4

lindylou
05-30-2011, 06:48 PM
reconize it as L4

Phew ! thanks Steve - I thought it was just me ! .. I thought it was wrong and couldn't recognise it at first - then I was wondering if I was mistaken and was trying every which way to try and fit that view in somehow ! :)

If my nan was still here I'm sure she'd be able to remember and tell us if Gypsy caravans were by Empress rd ! :) She would be about 19 or 20 in 1927.
Come to think of it - why would caravans park up there by houses when there is a big field so close.

This view - if it were Anfield and not Kensington - would surely have to be looking at the backs of- these houses - second pic right hand side ( by the bright red metal shed) - the caravans could would have to be standing further back towards Lampeter rd in order to see them. :018: :)

.. and we are not quite convinced :unibrow: :)

lindylou
05-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Could be where this waste land is, Empress rd, Kensington ??

Ged
05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Maybe, not sure. I'm just replying to an email I got from this same person asking me to post the pic of Empress road with the gypsy caravans from my site :)

gilesc
05-31-2011, 08:14 AM
morning ged, steveb and lindy lou, which area of l'pool is empress rd cabbage hall? anfield or kensington, i don't know the city although i'm getting to know it better via ged's site and this one.
all the best gilesc. ps thanks so much ged for the photo.

Ged
05-31-2011, 09:13 AM
That's ok gilesc, but see above, it may not be the Empress Road you are after.

Thanks for the comments about the site.

kevin
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
reconize it as L4

Gosh - you still remember after all this time?
:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

lindylou
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Maybe, not sure. I'm just replying to an email I got from this same person asking me to post the pic of Empress road with the gypsy caravans from my site :)

I'm enjoying doing the detective work - trying to figure out which Empress rd it is ;)

gilesc will be sorry they asked ! :PDT_Piratz_26: :PDT_Aliboronz_11:

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

morning ged, steveb and lindy lou, which area of l'pool is empress rd cabbage hall? anfield or kensington, i don't know the city although i'm getting to know it better via ged's site and this one.
all the best gilesc. ps thanks so much ged for the photo.

Empress rd, Anfield Liverpool 6 would be known as being in the Cabbage Hall area ..
more so in the 'old days' :) - people tend to just say Anfield these days.

You can see here on the map, the field I was talking about where one side of empress rd backs onto. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=empress+road+anfield&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487b219d411c1cad:0xd93099a3be113d6d,Empres s+Rd,+Anfield,+Liverpool,+Merseyside+L6+0B