PDA

View Full Version : kirkdale

Ged
06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
http://www.kirkdaleonline.co.uk/full_list.htm

Libertarian
06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Kirkdale is a very poor area but the people are some of the nicest in Liverpool.

I can't see why more isn't done for this neglected area. For example round Wesy Road there's loads of empty land why aren't decent family houses being built there for a reasonable price?

robbo176
06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Kirkdale is a very poor area but the people are some of the nicest in Liverpool.

Thank you Suburban :PDT_Piratz_26:......only Joking but my neighbours are all very nice people
Mandy :)

Libertarian
06-15-2007, 08:30 PM
My Gran lived on the Easby estate for years and I saw it decline. When she moved there from Scottie Road there were loads of lovely people in the flats but as time went by bad people moved in. Eventually they just knocked the lot down. Loads of the older people still live around Lambeth Street in the new houses and there are still strong communities all over Kirkdale but the area gets absolutely NOTHING. No one speaks up for Kirkdale and whilst other areas of Lpool have got investment in recent years such as Bootle Kirkdale has got nothing.

Ged
06-15-2007, 09:27 PM
My in laws live in the flower streets, drank in the Pansy and Lighthouse for years but go into town now instead. Ma-in-laws parents lived in the flats on Rollo st, the Estate. These houses on Fountains road have seen better days and have been derelict like this for years. Wessy Road baths was where we went a few times, there's lots of run down property with flats above along there.

Libertarian
06-15-2007, 09:44 PM
I used to like the Old Bill boozer. I used to play on the Rek in the early 80's.

Surely the council must own the land around St John's church? So why don't they sell it to someone willing to build family homes?

robbo176
06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
when they do spend money on our area it is a total waste,a few weeks ago they put up a wire fence between mine & my next door neighbours house,there is no point in it at all & stops the children from playing in what used to be a small childrens playground,I have a 5 year old & my next door neighbours daughter is handicapped so now they have nowhere play
we recently had Alley gates put up as our street was a short cut between Westminister Rd & Walton Rd but no-one can see any reason why this fence has been put up

Ged
06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah but, no ,yeah but it was your neighbour who requested that Mandy :unibrow:

Wags
06-15-2007, 11:52 PM
I've lived in Kirkdale for the last 7 years, an it's the longest i've ever lived anywhere in my adult life.

Just a shame there's no regeneration.

They started along Vauxhall Road, and stopped at Lambeth Road, then it all stated again just over the border in Bootle.

We've had all kinds of meetings with councillors, about getting CPO's on the flower street houses, but they don't want to know.

Oh and has anyone seen the car in the canal by the park bit of Commercial Road? I have reported this to British Waterways 3 times and even been in touch with the Echo, but it's still there.

Ged
06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Ron Formby of the Scottie Press knows all about it and is always highlighting stuff like this and kids using trail bikes on the grass and churning it all up. The parents need to know what their kids are up to, the community bobbies do their bit to talk in schools etc but you hardly ever see any when you need them but the good people of the area, their area are the ones who have to do something about it, there's more of them.

snappel
06-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Trouble is, parents often don't care, and without parent co-operation it must be very difficult.

Ernie
06-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I dont live in Kirkdale,but i know a lot of nice people who do,I sailed with some of them and still have drink in town with some of them,good mates.
but were I live is much the same,they are regenerating a field for the kids,
sports,swings,etc,but overgrown yobo"s are the trouble,not the parents.
The police know who they are,but cant catch them redhanded,and people
are scared to say anything,its a sad era.
Ernie.

SteH
06-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I think there are plenty of parents who have to take responsibility. You see yobs racing motorbikes and quadbikes round with no respect for locals, but who buys them the bikes in the first place?

SteH
06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
My in laws live in the flower streets, drank in the Pansy and Lighthouse for years but go into town now instead. Ma-in-laws parents lived in the flats on Rollo st, the Estate. These houses on Fountains road have seen better days and have been derelict like this for years. Wessy Road baths was where we went a few times, there's lots of run down property with flats above along there.

Sometimes when I look at the flower streets I wonder if you knocked the bottom house down the rest would all topple over.

Ged
11-08-2007, 11:15 AM
For anyone living in the Kirkdale, Everton or Anfield areas in particular - this may be of interest to you.

Then and now concerns personal memories of the area by local residents. Us and them is about Scotalnd Road in the 1960s. Yellow Breck Road concentrates on the Anfield districts whilst reflections is old photos of Liverpool set to music and both dvd's are available for purchase from the Rotunda. Gardens of Stone covers living in the tenements and city centre living in the 20th century. My model will be on display too.

Saturday 10th from 12 noon at the Rotunda - Gt. Mersey Street.

I know some Scottie Press, Scouse House and Skyscraper city forumers will be in attendance and Roger Phillips (as the official launcher) will be mentioning it on his programme today.

Come and join us to launch our new book and film ‘Then and Now’, about Rotunda and its surroundings and join in our Local History Film Festival

Saturday 10th November 2007
12 noon ‘til 5pm
At Rotunda,
Gt, Mersey St - Kirkdale.

Roger Phillips will toast the official launch at 1pm

Spend the afternoon seeing short films from North Liverpool
You can even make a donation and take a selection of the films home
(a great Christmas Present)

Films showing include:

Boys From The White Stuff A film about Tate & Lyle
Us & Them Scotland Road in the 70’s
4 Corners Local people’s memories of significant events in their lives
Yellow Breck Road Local People’s Memories of Anfield
The Lock Memories of Liverpool canal
Gardens of Stone Gerard Gardens
Then & Now Personal memories of life in the area
City In Film Liverpool through the ages
Free School Major St School in the 70’s
Reflection 1 & 2 Old photos of north Liverpool with musical accompaniment
The Big Voice A musical composition based on the scouse accent with video

gregs dad
11-08-2007, 03:06 PM

That shop on the corner used to be a radio & electrical shop. I think it was called G E R radio. I used to buy all my American imported records from there
like Hank Williams,Hank Snow,and many more. The first one I bought cost 2/11
the last one before I moved to Kirkby cost 6/1. They were the days of the
78 rpm big records.
gregs dad

Ged
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM
There it is Joe, as Northern Radio.

gregs dad
11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks Ged. You can see the Gordon Institute a bit further along Stanley Rd
in your pic,used to go in there to watch amatuer boxing championships when
I was a schoolboy. Watched about 40 bouts for sixpence
gregs dad

chippie
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Just found this old photee from 1970s taken from 19th floor of St George,s Heights looking north over John Bagot Hospital.

chippie
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Two photos of Holy Trinity Walton Breck. One of the north transept and the other of the alter marble lit up. Taken in the late 1980s I should think.

chippie
11-08-2007, 11:08 PM
And while I was there as a chorister, a wedding took place of a colleague,s family from the m.o.d. I,m the one in the dress by the way, I didn,t want to tell you but there it is.

Ged
11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
gregs dad

Here's a pic of the Gordon. Used as the Kirkdale Community centre these days. These pics are off the site I mentioned in message No.1

Nice pic Chippie of the heights along Nethy.

Scruffy
12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi :)

Does anybody have older relatives who remember the above families - Haycock and Armstrong - who lived in Kirkdale around the 1930's? My particular interest is for a couple named Joseph "Joe" Haycock who married Ann (Frances?) Armstrong. Joe lived at Bewley Str and Ann at Great Mersey Str when they married in 1927.

There's a story that Ann Armstrong caused the death of relatives and she and Joe then adopted the children, one of whom supposedly was named Kittie. They also had two children of their own, Joseph Jr. and Joyce (?).

Joe Haycock was an amputee (missed part of his arm) and the son of George Haycock and Frances Prince. Ann was the daughter of Herman Armstrong.

Any information would be much appreciated! :PDT11

Ged
04-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I got to take photies in 9 different postcodes yesterday, roll on the good weather though.

This old reclamation company is in North Dingle, which surprisingly is in fact in Kirkdale. Sandwiched between housing, I thought i'd picture it before it disappears though there's no sign of that just yet.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/9663/northdingleoldproperty2cr8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Halfway along the North side of Melrose Road (which I believe is the longest unbroken stretch of pavement), there is a way in to the railway sidings for wagons. I took a peep in and stood on the, well sort of cliff top, it'd be a good speck for a train spotter or an urban explorer for sure. Right below is where tracks once were and you can see some disused tunnels on what local kids from the nearby tenement buildings called the raller.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4681/melrosetrainszg0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

marky
04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Brunswick Place

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee262/south_liverpool/Tyers.jpg

Ged
04-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Is this the right thread for that Marky? :)

marky
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
The pic above is Brunswick Place/Regent Road. According to Google maps...Kirkdale. At the time I was checking out the Sefton/Liverpool boundary, which is a couple of streets to the North (marked by signs on Derby Road and also on Stanley Road). Both sides of the boundary are L20, not that I take any notice of postal-codes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brunswick+place,liverpool&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.059959,112.851563&ie=UTF8&ll=53.439605,-2.996392&spn=0.010685,0.029182&z=15

Ged
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
'tyers' - thread - Marky ha ha - never mind, it is only early yet :)

marky
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
While I was around Derby Road, I noticed some building work next door to Kirkdale Fire-station (in front of the Juniper Street warehouse). Incase anyone wants a 'then' snapshot of the warehouses, before the view changes.

marky
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Metal artwork, Derby Road. There are several artworks in the area which depict old dock scenes. This one appears as a picture in the book 'Seaport' (page 30 in my reprint edition)
A few months ago, a couple were lost when a new Audi car-showroom was built. One of them, of a train, was unique. Some other designs are repeated along the road. About 4 years ago I took pictures of, I think, 12 different designs.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee262/south_liverpool/Derby_Road.jpg

SteH
05-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Anyone got any idea what they are building on the corner of Boundary Street and Stanley Road near the community court

Billy D
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Tintern Street,,,,,Off Wessy Rd

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/tangshou/TinternStreethighResolution003.jpg

gregs dad
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Billy D,
did you know the late Canon Hopkins whose pic you use for your profile image ?

brian daley
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I got an electric shock when I saw that photo of Westminster Rd. and Tintern St. That is the street my Nin lived in and the third shop from the corner was where the Misses Coyne used to sell us glasses of Fantas and let us have a go in the 1d lucky dip. It was an old cheese barrel filled with sawdust and penny wonders. The back of the counter was lined with all manner of sweet jars which were full of bulls eyes,gobstoppers,spanish,pontrefact cakes and Williamsons toffees to name just a few. Jess and I used to spend some of our pocket money there after visiting Nins' on a Sunday.
Happy ,long gone, days,
BrianD

Billy D
05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Billy D,

Farther Hopkins was real fire and Brimstone,,,,,,,and when i was a kid i was scared to death of him,,,,,,But looking back ,he was a good friend to the family,,,,(ie The comnunity),,,,,

He once caught me and me mate running through the girls school,,,,and he gave us a good hidin,,,,then dragged us home,,,,,where another good hidin was waitin,,,,

Bill

gregs dad
05-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Father Hopkins had something in common with the Beatles. He used to play the bass fiddle every friday in our class in St Johns school,his signature tune
was My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean, which was one of the Beatles very first
recordings.

Ged
05-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I put this up once before on the way we were thread. I think it's in one of the flower streets.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8471/canonhopkinsgy5ue6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8471/canonhopkinsgy5ue6.a2905b79de.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=177&i=canonhopkinsgy5ue6.jpg)

Billy D
05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I got an electric shock when I saw that photo of Westminster Rd. and Tintern St. That is the street my Nin lived in and the third shop from the corner was where the Misses Coyne used to sell us glasses of Fantas and let us have a go in the 1d lucky dip. It was an old cheese barrel filled with sawdust and penny wonders. The back of the counter was lined with all manner of sweet jars which were full of bulls eyes,gobstoppers,spanish,pontrefact cakes and Williamsons toffees to name just a few. Jess and I used to spend some of our pocket money there after visiting Nins' on a Sunday.
Happy ,long gone, days,
BrianD

Hey Brian

My Nin also lived in Tintern Street,,,,I have got a couple more pics,,and i will try and find them,,,,,maybe your Nins House is on one of them

Bill

Billy D
05-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I put this up once before on the way we were thread. I think it's in one of the flower streets.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8471/canonhopkinsgy5ue6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8471/canonhopkinsgy5ue6.a2905b79de.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=177&i=canonhopkinsgy5ue6.jpg)

Great Pic Ged,,

Devo
06-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Hey Brian

My Nin also lived in Tintern Street,,,,I have got a couple more pics,,and i will try and find them,,,,,maybe your Nins House is on one of them

Bill

Brian + Billy
My mum lived in Tintern Street her maiden name was Thomson, I think this was her auntie's house. She married my dad who lived in Fountains Rd and got married (as i did) in St. Johns.
I been searchin for ages for a pic of Tintern St to show my mum, but she went into hospital a week or two before ye posted that pic, and has now sadly passed on. But if ye have any more pics please post em! i'd love to see what that street was like, i've still got an auntie left who used to live there with my mum, and she would be chuffed to see more pics. At a guess i'd say my mum lived there in the 1940's and at the time she worked in "Kirks" on Gt. Homer St.

brian daley
06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Billy D,my Nins surname was Daleyand her maiden name was Maher,she and Granddad(Billy Daley) had a host of children who nearly all lived in Kirkdale.My aunt Peggy lived at the bottom of the street,next door to the snooker rooms,she had a big family too. The last family get together was held in the old police station ,which is now a pub,when we celebrated my uncle Georges 70th birthday.It was a fantastic do and the top room was chock full of relations. Sadly,the only get togethers since then have been funerals. But they ended up as lively affairs as our Irish blood will always out!!

Ged
06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Devo. More pics of Tintern Street on here.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/springy_01/?start=140

Devo
06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Superb!
Can't wait to show my Auntie them pics later today. The best has to be the list of residents in 1938 along with their job title's
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/springy_01/1938Tintern.jpg
My mum and my auntie went to live with their auntie back in 1938/9 so they must remember many of the people on that list. The name Boyle rings a bell but i'll have to quiz my aunt first.

Great to also see the pictures of Gt. Mersey St.
Now i know what preceeded the advertisment hordings at the top of Gt. Mersey St. + Lancaster St.
"The Great Mersey" What a fantastic name for a Pub!

:PDT11

Ged
06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Also colour pics of the Gt Mersey on my site below.

That was a local (or one of them) of my Kirkdale in-laws.

Devo
06-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks Ged!
Update:
Thanks to the picture of the list of people who lived in Tintern St. in 1938, i've now found out that my mum lived at No.18 for a short time with her auntie (Vogel), then after the death of their guardian moved to No.14 to live with freinds (Hanson).

Billy D
06-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Billy D,my Nins surname was Daleyand her maiden name was Maher,she and Granddad(Billy Daley) had a host of children who nearly all lived in Kirkdale.My aunt Peggy lived at the bottom of the street,next door to the snooker rooms,she had a big family too. The last family get together was held in the old police station ,which is now a pub,when we celebrated my uncle Georges 70th birthday.It was a fantastic do and the top room was chock full of relations. Sadly,the only get togethers since then have been funerals. But they ended up as lively affairs as our Irish blood will always out!!

Brian

I am gobsmacked mate,,,,,,They are also my Ninny and Granddad,,,and Peggy is me mum,,,,,,I was talkin to our Maureen yesterday,,,,and she said your Dad was me uncle Billy,,, they must have called me after him and me grand dad,,lol

I remember me mum going up and down the Hospital to visit him,,,,must be be goin on a few years now,,,,,,

Brian have you go the pic of Ninny and Granddads Golden Wedding Anniversary,,,If not i will send you it,,

Any way Brian,,as me granddad used to say...Take a powder,,,god i wish i could hear him say that again,,,as he was sittin by the coal fire,,heeling and soleing his shoes on the last,,,

Talk to you soon Brian

Billy

chippie
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
congratulations Brian and Billy on finding each other:hug:

John(Zappa)
06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Great stuff Brian & Billy.:handclap::handclap:
Brain,Small world eh. Does Richie B.Know Billy?

scousejoan
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I've lived in Kirkdale for the last 7 years, an it's the longest i've ever lived anywhere in my adult life.

Just a shame there's no regeneration.

They started along Vauxhall Road, and stopped at Lambeth Road, then it all stated again just over the border in Bootle.

We've had all kinds of meetings with councillors, about getting CPO's on the flower street houses, but they don't want to know.

Oh and has anyone seen the car in the canal by the park bit of Commercial Road? I have reported this to British Waterways 3 times and even been in touch with the Echo, but it's still there.Hiya Wags;63614, I grew up in Kirkdale, lived in Melrose Road, there was nothing there then, only Nixons in Grist St, doing ox tongue and baked beans, any one remember Mintons the Paint place on Brewster St .

Straine
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Does anybody have older relatives who remember the above families - Haycock and Armstrong - who lived in Kirkdale around the 1930's? My particular interest is for a couple named Joseph "Joe" Haycock who married Ann (Frances?) Armstrong. Joe lived at Bewley Str and Ann at Great Mersey Str when they married in 1927.

There's a story that Ann Armstrong caused the death of relatives and she and Joe then adopted the children, one of whom supposedly was named Kittie. They also had two children of their own, Joseph Jr. and Joyce (?).

Joe Haycock was an amputee (missed part of his arm) and the son of George Haycock and Frances Prince. Ann was the daughter of Herman Armstrong.

I am related to the family and would be interested in what you know about the death of Ellen and Edward The Children's names were Jack, Elizabeth and Kitty

Straine
11-09-2008, 09:51 AM

I am a relative who would be interestd in what you have heard about the death of Edward and Ellen (my grandparents)

tony parker
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
:PDT11 any one work there

ian h
11-10-2008, 05:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello scruffy my name is ian haycock i am the grandson of joseph haycock [amputee] my father is also joseph aged 82 still with us and still mentally very alert we beleive somebody from holland tried to phone him ,could that be you ? I am sure if you contacted him by phone he could fill in some blanks for you .he is especially interested in some comment you made regarding the REASON for the death of kittys,bettys and jack o,neils parents.i was interested to see linda on the forum she is my first cousin but we have lost touch.if you would like to contact me privately that would be fine my e mail is laughtonandwallace@hotmail.com maybe you could post your tel no .looking forwardto your reply

18stanley
11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I used to like the Old Bill boozer. I used to play on the Rek in the early 80's.

Surely the council must own the land around St John's church? So why don't they sell it to someone willing to build family homes?

Can anybody point me to any photos, info please?
Stan H

Ged
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
The rec now.

aboutmyplace : UK maps and in-depth, local information for your area (http://www.aboutmyplace.co.uk/showmap?id=3470740&type=street&searchId=757034544047742311)

brian daley
11-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I've just had a bewildering time looking at the street map of Kirkdale,I got lost!
I was born when my parents lived in Medlock street,at that time,and up until sometime in the 60's,you could walk from Westminster road end right through to Orwell Road,not , it seems ,now.My cousins lived in Humber Street,not far from the Kirkdale Home,it's gone! A whole load of other streets are no longer there,I hope the change was for the better,it has to be ,when I was a kid those houses were pretty ill found,clean and well painted they may have been they were prone to infestations of cockroaches and bugs.Nearly every corner shop sold DDT. And whilst I am on the subject of the "good old days",is anyone old enough to remember the newsagents that was just by the police and fire station on Westminster Rd.? In the fifties he featured in the papers he sold by openly displaying explicit pornographic photographs in his window. They were all local men and women who featured in them and it caused great scandal at the time.There was some legal loophole which prevented the police from stopping the display and they ended up arresting anyone who dared to look at them. we used to saunter past for a slow shufti. My cousin pointed out one or two couples that he knew. It was pretty hot stuff for a 14 year old to see, I used to go limping up to Grandmas after walking past there. Ring a bell with anyone out there?

Lelly
11-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have any old photos of Ruskin Street at all- when the old factory could be seen at the bottom and think there used to be a dairy shop there?

18stanley
12-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I've just had a bewildering time looking at the street map of Kirkdale,I got lost!
I was born when my parents lived in Medlock street,at that time,and up until sometime in the 60's,you could walk from Westminster road end right through to Orwell Road,not , it seems ,now.My cousins lived in Humber Street,not far from the Kirkdale Home,it's gone! A whole load of other streets are no longer there,I hope the change was for the better,it has to be ,when I was a kid those houses were pretty ill found,clean and well painted they may have been they were prone to infestations of cockroaches and bugs.Nearly every corner shop sold DDT. And whilst I am on the subject of the "good old days",is anyone old enough to remember the newsagents that was just by the police and fire station on Westminster Rd.? In the fifties he featured in the papers he sold by openly displaying explicit pornographic photographs in his window. They were all local men and women who featured in them and it caused great scandal at the time.There was some legal loophole which prevented the police from stopping the display and they ended up arresting anyone who dared to look at them. we used to saunter past for a slow shufti. My cousin pointed out one or two couples that he knew. It was pretty hot stuff for a 14 year old to see, I used to go limping up to Grandmas after walking past there. Ring a bell with anyone out there?
Hello Brian - I can understand you getting lost!. The whole of the
'Rivers' street area has been re-formatted as we internauts say. Nith, Dart,
and Stour have completely gone; Doon,Tyne,Avon,Tawd, Humber, Tees have
become Closes and Places;Medlock and Leven are now squiggles.On the
modern map the area now resembles a can of worms! Your recollection of
the area is of a more recent period than mine I think - I am still trying to
get to grips with what was probably war damage but from your memories
a part of the change must probably be put down to general deterioration.As
for the Kirkdale Homes - where I worked for a short while before the war -
it presumably survived for a few more years afterwards, which helps me
put another piece together. (I am still engaged on trying to find out what
actually happened to the end of Langtry Road and - even more important -
to the whole of Hogarth Road which has been completely reduced to a Walk,
presumably a euphemism for a public footpath!!)
I was chuffed to read your post. If you can provide any other info of
the area when you lived there I'd be very pleased to see it.
Regards Stan H.

brian daley
12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Stan ,My family were living at the Westminster Rd end of Medlock St. when I came into the world in 1942. We moved to Fountains Rd when Dad was called up in 1944, my Nin, Dads mum ,lived in Tintern St and we had relatives who lived in Humber St.,Melrose Rd ,Medlock St. some were down by the Garrick and we had others down Orwell Rd. There is a cousin of mine on this site ,Billy D,his family dwelt in Kirkdale longer than mine so he might be of more use in filling the gaps,we left for Toxteth in 1946. I guess we were scouse nomads, Walton, Kirkdale, Toxteth, Garston ,Kirkby and Westvale have all been my places of abode during the 20 odd years of my life there. I may have left Liverpool ,Liverpool has never left me.

Ged
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Stan. Some L4 shots on here including Fonthill, Alfonso, Rumney, Owen roads.

This is the LiverpoolStreets website who are endevouring to capture every street with an L postcode.

Liverpool Street Gallery - Liverpool 4 (http://www.liverpoolstreetgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=4)

gregs dad
12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3079989892_f6f1f2443c_o.jpg
This is part of Kirkdale as it is now.the green field covers some lost streets ,Aspinall,Rockingham,Flinders,and Latham Streets, The large building on the left is the old British American factory now residential called Tobacco
Wharf. On the Horizon is the Grosnvenor cinema now an undertakers and the old library now a furniture store. The lane on the left is Sandhills once cobbled and used by Tate and Lyle horse drawn wagons to transport the sugar to their refinery. Every winter there would be lots of horses falling on the cobbles with the ice and snow,and lots of little boys with plenty of sugar for their toffee apples,

Ged
12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Great pic and memories Joe.

That Pleroma/McBurney distribution premises in the hollow of the BAT is some site isn't it, I expect you'll remember it as railway sidings etc.

18stanley
12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
gregs dad
I never got round to walking down that part of Stanley Road but I do
have fond memories of the Gordon Institute which was a haven to young
people in the 30's. It had fairly strong connections with the local Scouting
packs and I remember going there several times to pass the exams for all
my proficiency badges when I was in the Cubs ( does Housekeeping,
Collecting, Flag Signalling, Knots ring a bell)? My pack was based at Saint
Aths and I was quite keen for a few years. The highlights used to be the
parades round the vicinity behind the Band and especially the big Bass Drum!
I had to transfer to the Scouts after the age of 12 but never had the same
enthusiasm and soon gave them up. Is the Scout movement still active
and is there still a Troop at Saint Aths? Or is there even a Saint Aths?
Thanks for all the various bits of info, pics etc. Kev They're
much appreciated? Stan H

18stanley
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3079989892_f6f1f2443c_o.jpg
This is part of Kirkdale as it is now.the green field covers some lost streets ,Aspinall,Rockingham,Flinders,and Latham Streets, The large building on the left is the old British American factory now residential called Tobacco
Wharf. On the Horizon is the Grosnvenor cinema now an undertakers and the old library now a furniture store. The lane on the left is Sandhills once cobbled and used by Tate and Lyle horse drawn wagons to transport the sugar to their refinery. Every winter there would be lots of horses falling on the cobbles with the ice and snow,and lots of little boys with plenty of sugar for their toffee apples,
Yes, but remember this was before it was refined. It was dark brown in
colour, dense and heavy, mixed up with all sorts of dubious bits of vegetable
matter, and above all extremely sticky. It took ages to get rid of and if you were unlucky enough to get any on your clothes a rough reception when you
got home was certain. I actually preferred to get behind the Scammell steam
lorries carrying thick black molasses for refining into treacle and dipping my
fingers in the big outlet pipe at the back. But you usually ended up in a bit
of a mess whatever you chose.
Stan H

S18
01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
What are the flower streets like now? I'm looking at a place on Pansy St. with reasonable rent and it looks like a lovely place from the photos. Would it be a good place to choose?

Ged
01-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Very mixed feelings depending on which aspect you're coming from.

My in-laws live here and have very little trouble, in fact they won't move, they quite like it, easy for town with buses running regularly from there.

Youths do tend to hang around Stanley Road which is the main road that all the flower streets run off and although not all are trouble makers, the Pansy pub owner was robbed on a couple of occassions when banking the takings last year and the post office was 'regularly done'. The off licences and takeaway food outlets seem to be favourite hanging about places.

The Easby estate facing is run down and in the middle of being boarded up to be demolished so it can be isolated, a number of pubs are closed down in the area.

Generally, as in most places, a vast majority of the local residents are fine people who take pride in their properties, the two or three shop owners I know from that stretch are great and the fact they're still there and have been for many years says a lot.

Beth
05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I lived in Medlock Street, Kirkdale from the early to mid-50's and moved out about 1971 to Skelmersdale when they were clearing the area. I've passed through Kirkdale a few times and very little has been done to it since then.

We used to play in Fountains Road, I think it was an old church that was no longer used. It was opposite St John's Church. We used to call it a synagogue but I don't think that can be right. We were only about 5. Can anyone else remember this church/synagogue and what was it called?

Beth

Ged
05-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Could it be the original St Athenasius church, a newish one is there now on the corner of Fonthill Road.

Beth
05-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi Ged

That's probably it. Can't remember much about it except it was closed but it would have been in the week.

thanks

Beth.

Devo
05-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Beth, My mother and my wife both lived in Medlock Street (at different times) while i myself was brought up in Aintree only to return to get married in St. Johns Church in Fountains road and live locally on the Lancaster estate. there are some great pics that may interest you at http://www.kirkdaleonline.co.uk/full_list.htm
Names from my family include Burke, Hesketh, Thompson.
Always nice to see Medlock st mentioned.

wsteve55
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I lived in Medlock Street, Kirkdale from the early to mid-50's and moved out about 1971 to Skelmersdale when they were clearing the area. I've passed through Kirkdale a few times and very little has been done to it since then.

We used to play in Fountains Road, I think it was an old church that was no longer used. It was opposite St John's Church. We used to call it a synagogue but I don't think that can be right. We were only about 5. Can anyone else remember this church/synagogue and what was it called?

Beth

Hi Beth,
I used to live round the corner,in Rumney rd, opposite the Kirkdale homes,which was our playground! My school,St.Johns, was just off Fountains rd,and I vaguely remember the synagogue,(I think?) but didn't know what it was! I've attached pic' of same,and hope it's the one your looking for?
Steve.

pic' courtesy of L.R.O.

Ged
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Well done Steve so it was a synagogue then.

wsteve55
05-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Ta Ged,
that's what it says on the tin, but as I said,only vague memories of it! Anyone have info' on the jewish community,I assume,lived in the area?

Famous Scouser
05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Then of course there was Kirkdale Prison in Fountains Road. Scene of many executions by the likes of Calcraft. Ive only ever seen drawings of the place. Any photos Ged?

Ged
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Hiya, yes there's one on here supplied by Taffy.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13025&highlight=kirkdale+jail

Famous Scouser
05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Whata guy!

gregs dad
12-30-2009, 07:24 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4228285937_30bde37777_o.jpg
The old Gordon Institute on Stanley Road,Kirkdale, still looking in good shape in its roll as a community centre.

pablo42
12-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice one Joe. Know it well.

Debra
12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Billy D,

When my Dad asked Canon Hopkins for freedom of the Parish so he could mary my mother , Canon Hopkins called him the Al Capone of Kirkdale !!!

Billy D
06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Took a little trip back home,,,,,Dont know why but i always say that about Kirkdale

First job i had was a paper lad,,,walshes on wessy rd,,,i was about 6/7 years of age,,imagine that now,,

Took a few pics,,,

Bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This Shop used to be Walshes
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv138/Ronin2009/Mypic-0005.jpg
Wessy Rd towards Scottie RD
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv138/Ronin2009/Mypic-0004.jpg
Wessy Rd towards County RD
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv138/Ronin2009/Mypic-0003.jpg
St Johns
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv138/Ronin2009/Mypic-0001.jpg

brian daley
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Hello again Billy,
Nice pictures there cuz, last time I was in that church was to bury my dad, that was in the early part of this century; the first I entered that church was in May 1942,when my Nin ,at the head of a raiding party,took me to get baptised as a taig before the protestant side of the family could get me christened as a proddy. They did anyway , got done in St Lukes a week later. Happy days eh!!
BrianD

gregs dad
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Anybody remeber Chalmers Hall on Westminster Rd.Originally a church built in 1862, but schools used it as a dinner centre in the 1940`s
We used to have 2 lines of kids ,them that recieved free dinners (this includes me) and them that could afford the 5d. The dinner was good with water to drink on each table but I never liked the puddings (sweets as they call them now) as they were nearly always served semolina.

Billy D
06-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi BRIAN,,,,how are you
Hope the party went ok

That chuch brings back so many memories to me,,,,father Hopkins,,,Baptism,,First Holy COMUNION,,Confirmation,,,confession every friday with the school,,,,,,had to go every sunday no iffs or butts,,,,suppose it was were i began....

Your story is a good old fashioned kidnapping(lol) and you get the bragging right with that one,,,imagine that happening today..
talk about dual passport,,,,,you got dual religion....

Bill D

Ged
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Just in case none of you had seen it before. Canon Hopkins in Kirkdale.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3995/canonhopkins.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/i/canonhopkins.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Ged
06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Canon Hopkins residence at the far end of this block on Gt Mersey St.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6267/gtmerseye2w.jpg (http://img192.imageshack.us/i/gtmerseye2w.jpg/)

transalpino
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Feel free to jion this facebok site dedicated to Kirkdale and the surrounding area.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=57360603652&ref=ts

Billy D
08-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Driving through kirkdale yesterday....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ksoQnEBH4

lindylou
09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Nicely done Billy D. :PDT11 I like the way the images open up in squares and some are sort of pixelated as they open.
Wish you'd added the whole of the street sign there - I can just see L4 :)

Thanks for posting Billy :)

wsteve55
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Used to live in Rumney rd.opposite the Kirkdale homes,it's hardly recognisable now,bar for the "Medlock" pub'!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Canon Hopkins residence at the far end of this block on Gt Mersey St.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6267/gtmerseye2w.jpg (http://img192.imageshack.us/i/gtmerseye2w.jpg/)

Ged,is there any way of confirming that canon Hopkins,lived in that house? He was my confessor,many times,when I went to St.John's!:noid: (My better half,insists it wasn't)

(dont know what's happened,but these posts have "doubled up" ??)

gregs dad
09-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Geds had a relapse, Canon Hopkins was parish priest for many years at St Johns and lived in Fountains Rd. That building was the priest`s house for St Ollies.
Father Winder, parish priest of St Ollies (Alphonsus) lived there, and there is a close in Kirkdale named after him..

wsteve55
09-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Geds had a relapse, Canon Hopkins was parish priest for many years at St Johns and lived in Fountains Rd. That building was the priest`s house for St Ollies.
Father Winder, parish priest of St Ollies (Alphonsus) lived there, and there is a close in Kirkdale named after him..

Thanks for that Joe,'cause that's what I remember! The school was only round the corner,so you'ld often see him passing,and stop dead in your tracks,till he passed! His female compatriot was the dreaded sister Mary.......no messing with her!!!

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Thanks for that Joe,'cause that's what I remember! The school was only round the corner,so you'ld often see him passing,and stop dead in your tracks,till he passed! His female compatriot was the dreaded sister Mary.......no messing with her!!!

p.s. Sorry to hear of Ged's relapse!:unibrow:

gregs dad
09-03-2010, 07:37 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/4954307476_522de90b87.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/4954307476/)
View from Sandhills station,Kirkdale. Football pitches replacing the old streets of Aspinall,Rockingham,Flinders,Latham,Evelyn,and one side of Lambeth Rd.
To see this many trees years ago you would have to go to the parks or the country.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4953716441_f6d6d4dff5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/4953716441/)
Lambeth Road from the station
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/4954308380_3b5f9f922f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/4954308380/)
View from the station over the Huskisson Dock with it`s tug masts and sheds towards St Peter and Paul`s church New Brighton

lindylou
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
They're good pictures GD :PDT11

chris q
09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi, Im posting here for the first time.
I wondered if anyone who knows the Westminster Rd area remembers the Claremont Hotel Pub. My Great Aunt and Uncle ran it in the fifties. Their names were Marty and Norah Walsh. I also wondered what happened to it subsequently, when was it demolished for instance? I'll be grateful for any info. Great site . Chris Q

wsteve55
09-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi Chris,welcome to Yo! A good place to look for pic's,etc,would be Ged's site www.inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7 which has got thousands of photo's,(and does take a while to load,sometimes!)

chris q
09-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks, I'll do that!

hmordue
12-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Chris q

Very interested to read your post as my great grandparent ran The Claremont - certainly in 1946 - not sure until when. They were Patrick and Margaret Walsh - could your great uncle also be mine? My grandmother Alice Walsh had a brother Martin.

Helen

chris q
12-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi Helen,
it seems likely doesn't it ? Even though I didn't know your family personally I believe there were three siblings Patrick, Peggy and Marty Walsh. I hadn't heard of Alice until now. My great aunt left the pub in 1963 after Marty died and apparently it closed down. I wonder if you have any more info to clear up some of the facts . Has your Mum ever talked about my great aunt Norah before ? After all this time since originally posting it is fascinating to hear from you as there seems little info about this pub online .

hmordue
12-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi Chris,

Very good to be in contact with you! Alice was the oldest of the family and there was also Tommy (not sure if he was older or younger than Martin) and Hannah who died in the 30's. My mother has lots of memories of the pub and of Martin and Norah. She knew Norah before she married Martin and remembers that as a small child Norah would give them christmas presents. She has Peggy's wedding photo in which Norah is a bridesmaid. After Martin died Norah went to live in West Kirby.
If you want to e-mail me I'm sure we could give you more information. How are you related?

Helen

Having looked through some photos Norah features in quite a few!

kamrikkon
12-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Akira I can understand as there are few Japanese or even anime fans in this area, but Ezra... we live in what people might call the bible belt of the US... chances are any given person you talk to has at least 1 or more bibles at home.

lindylou
12-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Akira I can understand as there are few Japanese or even anime fans in this area, but Ezra... we live in what people might call the bible belt of the US... chances are any given person you talk to has at least 1 or more bibles at home.

yes, you are quite right :nod:

chris q
12-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi Helen ,
I am Norah's younger sister's, Muriel, grandson. It is only recently that I was thinking of Norah and her years at the pub and wondering if people remembered much about them. I knew her well as a child until she died in 1994. Do you know much about Martin and what he was like, as my Dad only vaguely remembers him. Have you seen pictures of the pub, and would you know what exactly happened to it after Norah left? It's great and unexpected to talk to one of the Walsh family.
Chris

Ged
12-22-2010, 08:09 PM
The Claremont.

Listed at 93 Westminster Road at its junction with a narrow alley named Grove Place. This photo from the early 60s was when it was managed by Margaret Ellen Towers. The adjoining Chemist was ran by Rae Hartley. This site later became part of a school playground.

Photo LRO. Infromation: Freddy O'Connor.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3039/claremont93westminsterr.jpg (http://img573.imageshack.us/i/claremont93westminsterr.jpg/)

hmordue
12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
thanks for the photo - lovely to see the pub!
Helen

hmordue
12-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Helen ,
I am Norah's younger sister's, Muriel, grandson. It is only recently that I was thinking of Norah and her years at the pub and wondering if people remembered much about them. I knew her well as a child until she died in 1994. Do you know much about Martin and what he was like, as my Dad only vaguely remembers him. Have you seen pictures of the pub, and would you know what exactly happened to it after Norah left? It's great and unexpected to talk to one of the Walsh family.
Chris

Hi Chris,

I'll send you a message in the next couple of days after I've quizzed my mother some more! Would love to see pics and to know more although I do have a photo of Martin behind the bar and of family members outside. My mother used to write to Norah but lost contact I think when Norah moved back to Liverpool.

Helen

chris q
12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks Ged and Helen,
the photograph is fantastic!
Chris

wsteve55
12-23-2010, 01:01 AM
yes, you are quite right :nod:

Ha,ha,.......bonkers!!!

Ged
12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Ha,ha,.......bonkers!!!

No, Bonkers was a fun pub on the Dock Road back in the 1980s. ;)

gregs dad
12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Ged have you got a pic of the Bath House pub a few doors away from the Claremont ?

lindylou
12-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Ha,ha,.......bonkers!!!

Nitwits ! :rolleyes: ... probably kids messing around. :rolleyes:

Ged
12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Ged have you got a pic of the Bath House pub a few doors away from the Claremont ?

It doesn't ring a bell Joe, is that the real name or nickname. I'll take a look.

gregs dad
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
It could be the nickname Ged, as it was across the road from Westminster Rd baths . Used to get taken there by my elder brother when I was courting my wife in the early `50`s.
The thing is we had to pass plenty of pubs to get there as he lived in Turton St which is or was next to Boundary St.

Ged
12-28-2010, 12:07 AM

The Queens Arms photographed in 1912. Located at 63-65 Westminster Road which was originally called Bootle Lane as an old highway leading to Bootle. Known locally as the bath house due to its location close to the swimming baths.

Photo and information with thanks to Freddy O'Connor.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7113/queensarmsbathhouse.jpg (http://img638.imageshack.us/i/queensarmsbathhouse.jpg/)

Billy D
12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
No, Bonkers was a fun pub on the Dock Road back in the 1980s. ;)

And it was fn BONKERS,,,,,,,remember it well

Ged
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Yep, pink and light blue with barmaid dancers inside, one of the first 'fun pubs' of the era. Porkies was a little further along :)

Red Tom
12-29-2010, 01:56 PM
While I have access to this laptop, I thought I would mention something that has me puzzled (again).
While researching some family history,I discovered that a great uncle, who lived in the Tarbock/Cronton area,wed a local lass, yet they were married (in 1893) at St. Mary's, Kirkdale, and my grandfather married his second wife (my grandmother), again a Cronton resident, at this same church in 1916.
It has me wondering why?, then,most things these days make me wonder a lot.

ChrisGeorge
12-29-2010, 03:38 PM
While I have access to this laptop, I thought I would mention something that has me puzzled (again).
While researching some family history,I discovered that a great uncle, who lived in the Tarbock/Cronton area,wed a local lass, yet they were married (in 1893) at St. Mary's, Kirkdale, and my grandfather married his second wife (my grandmother), again a Cronton resident, at this same church in 1916.
It has me wondering why?, then,most things these days make me wonder a lot.

Hi Tom

Isn't it probable that St. Mary's, Kirkdale, was your great uncle's parish church and that after the weddings the couples lived in Kirkdale? Do you have an address or addresses where the couples lived?

Chris

gregs dad
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
The Queens Arms photographed in 1912. Located at 63-65 Westminster Road which was originally called Bootle Lane as an old highway leading to Bootle. Known locally as the bath house due to its location close to the swimming baths.
Thanks for that Ged,what I remember about the Bath house was 2 records always playing Hank Locklin singing Geisha girl,and Send me the pillow that you dream on.
Regarding Westminster Road the last pub before it went into Hawthorn Rd, was the Stanley Arms which must have been an old coach pub because it was set back off the road.With a fine bowling green and paid artists on stage on thursdays and fridays it was the first pub I ever frequented. I think Ronnie Whelan of Liverpool was manager near the end of it`s life

Ged
12-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Is that the one that became the Sportsman and is now a row of houses?

gregs dad
12-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Most probably Ged, I think it was an Ind Coope`s house, it`s were my wife and I spent some of our courtship

Red Tom
12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi Tom

Isn't it probable that St. Mary's, Kirkdale, was your great uncle's parish church and that after the weddings the couples lived in Kirkdale? Do you have an address or addresses where the couples lived?

Chris

Howdy doody Brother Chris, while I have no definite addresses for my g.uncle yet,his daughter was born the same year they married, in Huyton, a stones throw from Tarbock, and as far as I know, she grew up and married in this area.
As for my grandfather, he was a miner, and lived for the first three years of marriage in Cronton/Sutton and St. Helens.
His four children were all born and bred in Cronton!, so the Kirkdale connection still eludes me.
I still have lots more research for this branch so perhaps something will come to light.
Arrivederci, mio fratello.

Billy D
02-19-2011, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Ged;314145]The Claremont.

Listed at 93 Westminster Road at its junction with a narrow alley named Grove Place. This photo from the early 60s was when it was managed by Margaret Ellen Towers. The adjoining Chemist was ran by Rae Hartley. This site later became part of a school playground.

Photo LRO. Infromation: Freddy O'Connor.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3039/claremont93westminsterr.jpg (http://img573.imageshack.us/i/claremont93westminsterr.jpg/)

Great pic,,,the memories are flooding back,,Paddy Walshes...we knew it as kids,,the middle door led to a little snug
there was always two old women sitting there,,me mum worked on the Empress of Canada,,and she would bring a bag of forin coins home we would go to Paddy walshes and buy loads of bags of salt and shake,,thats all they had back then,,lots of lemmo..
thet always took the coins with no problems,,,God great memories,,,
also the chemist next door was known to us as Mr Rays,,,he patched me head up once when me brother through i chinese stealie at me head,,lol had to wear a hair net for a few weeks and was skitted,,(,Ena Sharples),,we lived across the Rd(westminster rd) in Tintern Street,,,

Thanks for the Memories,

Bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,