PDA

View Full Version : Edge Lane Demolition.

wsteve55
08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Passing through the Holt rd/Edge lane junction,I was surprised at how much demolition had taken place,since I was last there! There's only one corner untouched,which is St.Cyprian's church,which I presume, isn't going to come down,even though it's closed?? They're really cracking on with it,and it seems to involve a fair few of the adjoining streets! It reminds me of those pic's of the mass demolitions in the 60's,in Everton,etc.

wsteve55
08-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Here are a few more of the surrounding area,including the "Shipperies" pub.

wsteve55
08-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Dont know if the old police/fire station is going,but looks like the Bethel church is! Arnside st pictured,only has a couple of occupants left, but further along is an example of the new housing,which looks like an improvement,especially with all the greenery!(Anyone have any idea who Chris Ward is?as he's had a road named after him!)

amcewen
08-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Not sure if I should thank you for posting those pictures or not ;-) I haven't been down Edge Lane since they were just starting to pull stuff down, and hadn't seen the devastation before...

I wonder if Chris Ward had something to do with Edge Hill College. Those 1980s(?) houses are built on the site where Edge Hill College was before it moved out to Ormskirk (in 1933 I think).

The area round the Shipperies and the Fire Station has been down for a few months. I took some photos of it then, and compared the view now and then on my blog (http://www.mcqn.net/mcfilter/archives/liverpool/still_nobody_cares_and_nobody_learns.html) using photos from Google Street View.

burkhilly
08-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I go up and down Edge Lane all the time - and they certainly did knock down everything very quickly. Personally I am very annoyed that all the Victorian houses etc have gone - for a road! However having said that, people who lived in the houses actually on Edge Lane suffered horrendous noise and pollution.

With regards to St Cyprians - there is an order on it - so that's saved as are the houses to the side of the church.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I go up and down Edge Lane all the time - and they certainly did knock down everything very quickly. Personally I am very annoyed that all the Victorian houses etc have gone - for a road! However having said that, people who lived in the houses actually on Edge Lane suffered horrendous noise and pollution.

The Liverpool Lime St to Wigan line is to be electrified and looks like being brought into Merseyrail. It runs a parallel to the M62 and Edge Lane. The mini-motorway along the Strand and to Leeds St, a part of the old silly Shankland plan, is to link up with this ridiculous unneeded road system.

The money should have been spent on recommissioning the Wapping tunnel from Edge Hill to Central station and Kings Dock Then people use rapid-transit to get from the east of the city to the main city centre points within minutes. Then no need for ugly polluting roads and needless demolition.

I would sack people in Merseytravel for all this nonsense. The answers are there waiting.

lindylou
08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I passed along that way yesterday. I noticed a board advertising houses to be built, and to be called Willamson Place.
http://www.newhomesforsale.co.uk/merseyside/new_homes_liverpool/williamson-place.php

lindylou
08-22-2010, 11:01 AM

With regards to St Cyprians - there is an order on it - so that's saved as are the houses to the side of the church.

Yes, it's easy to forget the horrendous pollution for residents. It's bad enough where I live - main road traffic and especially on match days, but no where near as bad as they must have had it - day in and day out, a huge volume of traffic.

ericfaragh
08-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I hope that the pub and fire station are preserved, the architecture has great character. The domed building on the corner opposite the church also has a number of pleasing touches to it.

Spike
08-22-2010, 11:50 AM
St.Cyprian's church is coming down.

We had to contact them to get them to remove the Glass memorial dedicated to those that died in the Durning Road WW2 bombing. They were very good and have moved it to the Anglican Cathedral.

lindylou
08-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I hope that the pub and fire station are preserved, the architecture has great character. The domed building on the corner opposite the church also has a number of pleasing touches to it.

I agree. It will be a shame if they go.

I am curious to see how things turn out regarding St Cyprians church. It is a lovely church and I know it is being saved - but do people use it, are they going to use it ? and is it going to surrounded like an island by the new roads ? Is it going to be accessible at the end of it ?
I didn't know they were saving houses to the side of it.

It will interesting how things turn out with this.

Our Yo member Cadfael will tell us if he pops in.
I just wonder how the church will be incorporated into a busy new traffic system.

Spike
08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Lindy

We contacted the church and they said it is coming down. They removed the war memorial after we told them about it. Its a big glass sheet and we did not want to see it end up in a skip. I hope you are right and they are saving the church. The landmarks should be saved.

Spike
08-22-2010, 11:59 AM
The Liverpool Lime St to Wigan line is to be electrified and looks like being brought into Merseyrail. It runs a parallel to the M62 and Edge Lane. The mini-motorway along the Strand and to Leeds St, a part of the old silly Shankland plan, is to link up with this ridiculous unneeded road system.

The money should have been spent on recommissioning the Wapping tunnel from Edge Hill to Central station and Kings Dock Then people use rapid-transit to get from the east of the city to the main city centre points within minutes. Then no need for ugly polluting roads and needless demolition.

I would sack people in Merseytravel for all this nonsense. The answers are there waiting.

What if you dont live on a rail link? The roads into the city are needed. If they can improve them then im all for it as they are terrible to use in peak hour now.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 12:02 PM
What if you dont live on a rail link? The roads into the city are needed. If they can improve them then im all for it as they are terrible to use in peak hour now.

They are uprating the roads. There is no need to as rapid-transit rail can take the load. The lines run parallel to Edge Lane.

If the Outer Loop and City Line is electrified and in to Merseyrail,many of those in cars would take the metro. You can take the car to the nearest park & ride station.

Focus should be on having a full comprehensive metro, not large soul destroying, pollution generating roads. Carving up the city for these unneeded roads has ruined the soul of the city.

Spike
08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I can get into the city in 20-30 mins now. Why would I take a journey that involves driving, parking the care. hoping onto trains or buses. I doubt it would speed anything up for me.

Why would I want to use a train and get crammed in, probably standing up all the way.

Much nicer to drive along a nice new road and see nice new houses. And if they save the landmarks even better.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I can get into the city in 20-30 mins now.

Why are roads being uprated then? Projected use? Many com in from Wigan downwards: Prescot, Huyton, etc.

Why would I want to use a train and get crammed in, probably standing up all the way.

Or probably not standing. You get from Huyton To Liverpool centre far quicker than car. Then there is the eco aspect of getting cars off he roads.

Much nicer to drive along a nice new road and see nice new houses. And if they save the landmarks even better.

Much nice to get into Liverpool in minutes without stress without parking at the other end. That is what rapid-transit rail is..
....and then no ripping down whole districts to get cars in.

Spike
08-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I live in Old Swan, not Huyton. I have a straight road into the city. Improving the road cuts my time.

What of people who live in Croxteth, Anfield, Belle Vale etc. No train stations near them. Better to go straight into town on the main roads than dodge everywhere to get trains.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I live in Old Swan, not Huyton. I have a straight road into the city. Improving the road cuts my time.

What of people who live in Croxteth, Anfield, Belle Vale etc. No train stations near them. Better to go straight into town on the main roads than dodge everywhere to get trains.

I think you lost it. They are ripping a district apart to get a big road in. Now you might like that because you want to drive your pollution generating machine into a dense built up area full of people's lungs and couldn't care about the district being ripped up.

There is no need to rip up districts for cars when we have an easily expandable rapid-transit rail network. The Outer Loop and Bootle Branch, if recommissioned, would cover the districts you mentioned. The electrified City Line runs with Edge Lane. No need to rip up anything when the lines and tunnels are there ready to lay the tracks and no mass protests.

People can drive to the local station and park & ride rather than all the way into the centre. Or just hop on a quick hopper bus.

Get this car garbage out of your head.

How to extend Merseyrail - click (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity/Merseyrail-Extensions.html)

Spike
08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
I ride a bike everywhere.

This loop line. Have you seen it by sainsbury's on Prescot road? its about 6 foot wide with no room to make it bigger. Gonna need a small train.

Mill Lane west Derbt. Houses now back onto the old railway. No room here.

burkhilly
08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
St.Cyprian's church is coming down.

We had to contact them to get them to remove the Glass memorial dedicated to those that died in the Durning Road WW2 bombing. They were very good and have moved it to the Anglican Cathedral.

NO - I cannot believe this - I hoped there was an order on it. This is a disgrace - yet more of our heritage going.

burkhilly
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM

This loop line. Have you seen it by sainsbury's on Prescot road? its about 6 foot wide with no room to make it bigger. Gonna need a small train.

Yep - you're right Spike.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 03:02 PM

The line is mothballed. The only part any substantial building is on is the access road to the loading bay of Sainsburys at Knotty Ash. This can be reclaimed quite easily. You may find in the Planning Permission there is a clause to retake the small road if needed.

The bridges are checked periodically by law. All are in place.

Have look at what is protected:

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-170943.pdf

Spike
08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Will they take the petrol station as well? when you come from Broadgeen the track runs right into the middle of Sainsbury's. It bends but no train can do that bend. So are Sainsbury's going to be told they have to move.

Mill lane. The houses back right onto the old track just after West Derby station. Will they not object to trains flashing past their windows?

Im sure there are more problems with the loop line.

Then the cost. It wont be cheap.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Will they take the petrol station as well? when you come from Broadgeen the track runs right into the middle of Sainsbury's. It bends but no train can do that bend. So are Sainsbury's going to be told they have to move.

Mill lane. The houses back right onto the old track just after West Derby station. Will they not object to trains flashing past their windows?

Im sure there are more problems with the loop line.

Then the cost. It wont be cheap.

The trackbed only has the access road on it, it does not run through the store. Sainsburys would be delighted to amend their store to get a nearby station.

Tesco built a supermarket over this track making a cut & cover tunnel to get a supermarket near a rail line:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity/cut-and%20cover-tunnel.jpg

On the eastbound curve at Hunts Cross there is a single floor building built. A cheapish CPO would take that removed. This curve would be handy to take trains to the airport across fields, branching off just after Halewood station.

The curve is in light-blue.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity/Airport-stn-2.jpg

The houses would have known that the line is mothballed in the searches when buying. They take that chance. They would gain a metro link to the whole of Merseyside, improving their lifestyle and increasing the value of the house. Metros create economic growth. Modern trains are quiet to the old.

The Outer Loop was to be apart of the 1970s Merseyrail metro plan. The eastbound curve was not, so was not mothballed. It should be as it now it could give easy and swift access to the airport for large parts of east and north Liverpool and beyond. An attcraction for companies to setup
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity/Merseyrail-07.jpg
The greater good of the community/city is paramount.

Spike
08-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Amend their store? Sainsbury's would have to knock a third down. Have you been along to see it? No train is going through there without major construction.

You assume the public want this system? are you sure. Its cost would be huge and prices of tickets would be high me thinks.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Amend their store? Sainsbury's would have to knock a third down. Have you been along to see it? No train is going through there without major construction.

They knew that before they built. Only the road is on the trackbed. Sainsbury's would love a station there right on their store - I'm sure they would like the train running through it an the station inside. They would pay for the station. Look at the expense Tesco went to to get a store over a rail line. They would love the line to re recommissioned.

You assume the public want this system? are you sure. Its cost would be huge and prices of tickets would be high me thinks.

The public want metro systems. The city needs a comprehensive metro network. They are eco, highly convenient and create economic growth. The lines will save on building more roads. Also if the regeneration of Liverpool succeeds the population will increase.

The Outer Loop with LFC and EFC on it will more than pay for itself. The cost is not huge as the trackbed and bridges are already there. The Dept for Transport would pay and other parties contributing here and there.Maybe EFC & LFC as well.

Spike
08-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Can you post polls that say the public want this?

If not it is not right to assume without facts.

lindylou
08-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Lindy

We contacted the church and they said it is coming down. They removed the war memorial after we told them about it. Its a big glass sheet and we did not want to see it end up in a skip. I hope you are right and they are saving the church. The landmarks should be saved.

Thanks Spike. Our posts must have crossed.

I was talking with my mum about the church this morning and we thought the campaign to keep it had won. We were wondering how it would fare with the new road system. Time will tell.

Glad about the glass memorial.

ps,
I can understand people wanting to preserve a lovely church, but just wondering if it's worth the fight if no one uses it and unlikely to use it in the future. It all depends if it is going to hold up progress. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/rubinda/avatars/e20301.gif

Waterways
08-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Can you post polls that say the public want this?

If not it is not right to assume without facts.

Polls? Just because you don't want one doesn't mean the city doesn't need a metro.

EFC and LFC need a rapid-transit line - for obvious reasons.

Spike
08-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Polls? Just because you don't want one doesn't mean the city doesn't need a metro.

EFC and LFC need a rapid-transit line - for obvious reasons.

Just because you want one dont mean our city needs one.

Again the cost. Who pays?

We need money for Schools Hospitals and housing. Not railways.

Waterways
08-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Just because you want one dont mean our city needs one.

Again the cost. Who pays?

We need money for Schools Hospitals and housing. Not railways.

The Dept for Transports pays most. We need what creates economic growth - and that means metros. I doubt you have experience of a city with a full metro network. Liverpool has one. but it does not serve the east of the city, alien to you.

EFC & LFC need to be on a metro line. This is imperative. For reasons which are clearly obvious. But allude you.

Kev
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Members are politely reminded of the forum rules & etiquette (http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?321-Forum-Rules-amp-Etiquette). Further details here (http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?32353-PLEASE-READ-IMPORTANT-REMINDER). If it continues, posts will need my approval before they are posted.

Spike
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
The Dept for Transports pays most. We need what creates economic growth - and that means metros. I doubt you have experience of a city with a full metro network. Liverpool has one. but it does snot serve the east of the city, alien to you.

EFC & LFC need to be on a metro line. This is imperative. For reasons which are obvious. But allude you.

So are you saying I have never been outside of Old Swan? Never seen a train? Hmmmnnnn

Football does not need any train line. Common sense alludes you.

wsteve55
08-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Not sure if I should thank you for posting those pictures or not ;-) I haven't been down Edge Lane since they were just starting to pull stuff down, and hadn't seen the devastation before...

I wonder if Chris Ward had something to do with Edge Hill College. Those 1980s(?) houses are built on the site where Edge Hill College was before it moved out to Ormskirk (in 1933 I think).

The area round the Shipperies and the Fire Station has been down for a few months. I took some photos of it then, and compared the view now and then on my blog (http://www.mcqn.net/mcfilter/archives/liverpool/still_nobody_cares_and_nobody_learns.html) using photos from Google Street View.

Hi Amcewan,those houses pictured,I think, are only fairly recently built? That's a good link you've posted!
Steve.

wsteve55
08-23-2010, 11:12 PM

Sorry Eric, the domed building has gone! The only corner left untouched,is the one with St.Cyprian's church on it,which,after talking to a couple of siteworkers today,isn't being demolished,but..........???

Ged
08-23-2010, 11:16 PM
The Church, The Police/Fire Station and The Shipperies are staying.

Cadfael
08-25-2010, 08:24 PM
St Cyprian's isn't being demolished. You can rest assured that old Cad is working on a 'Save our....' website as we speak. English Heritage, SAVE Britain's Heritage and many people are 'watching' the building to make sure it doesn't mysteriously fall down or burn down....

burkhilly
08-25-2010, 09:10 PM
St Cyprian's isn't being demolished. You can rest assured that old Cad is working on a 'Save our....' website as we speak. English Heritage, SAVE Britain's Heritage and many people are 'watching' the building to make sure it doesn't mysteriously fall down or burn down....

Thank you...............I thought the church was going - that Spike fella said! I thought it unlikely because the houses to the side of St Cyprians are all still there, with people living in them. That whole part of Edge Lane is gone - it is so weird. Also Prescot Road by Newsham Park - those houses are now part way knocked down.

Spike
08-25-2010, 10:21 PM
The church said it was going. They even removed the memorial for us. Im glad it is staying.

ericfaragh
08-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Good news. All buildings that should stay!

shell1404
11-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Did anyone used to drink in the Shipperies Pub 70's- closing down??

gregs dad
11-09-2011, 07:28 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/4406930104_bdd562cff2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/4406930104/)
old liverpool pub (http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/4406930104/) by exacta2a (http://www.flickr.com/people/exacta2a/), on Flickr

This one, built 1881?

collegepudding
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Did anyone used to drink in the Shipperies Pub 70's- closing down??

yes shell mate, people did drink in there some of the time, but the majority of the time they just battered each other, believe me i'm not joking either

collegepudding