No mate but this looks like its gonna be a good thread :handclap:

MarkA
01-26-2007, 09:52 PM
No, but here ya go...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/itsmma/0ba7_1_b.jpg

shytalk
01-26-2007, 10:07 PM
MarkA,
Thanks, I have looked for a pic before and was never able to find one. It stood on the edge of the small lake . In that pic it is in way better condition than it was when I was a kid. When I remember it from the sails only had the frames left. :037:

MarkA
01-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I did a search in Google and that postcard was sold in December for £20.77 on eBay. Just searching through eBay now and there's loads of old Liverpool stuff for sale from postcards to OS maps of areas from around the 1900's. It'd be worth doing what I did, go through eBay and save any pictures you find.

MarkA
01-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Here's one for Max. The base of this still exists around the area of the Coffee House...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/itsmma/3747_1_b.jpg

theninesisters
01-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Here's one for Max. The base of this still exists around the area of the Coffee House...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/itsmma/3747_1_b.jpg

The coffee House? It's just off Woolton Road!

http://www.dhwav.btinternet.co.uk/page59.html

shytalk
01-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Beverley Road.
According to this the remains have been cleared for redevelopment long ago.

http://www.dhwav.btinternet.co.uk/page59.html
:037:

lindylou
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow ! I never knew that there had been a windmill in Newsham park.
Living in Anfield all my life I have been to that park billions of times - and I never heard of that before !

shytalk
01-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Youse young kids missed a lot. :)

It was removed in the late 50's, it had been neglected and was unsafe.
I don't know what its real purpose was but someone told me when I was kid that it was a water pump to keep the lakes full. :037:

bobbymac
01-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Yuppers, think I've mentioned to Shy, before that I remember the windmill. close to the small lake, and near to a corrugated iron leanto that served as the mens bogs. There's one for you convenience collectors. Boy! was this one ripe. Lol.

MarkA
01-27-2007, 07:46 AM
The coffee House? It's just off Woolton Road!

It's obviously not a picture of the one I was told about by my nieces. They told me there's the base of a windmill around the area of the Coffee House/Blind School. I will ask them again.

ChrisGeorge
01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
No, but here ya go...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/itsmma/0ba7_1_b.jpg

Thanks MarkA, Shy, and everyone. The Newsham Park windmill, which is new to me, looks to me to have been an ornamental mill or one that perhaps had some function for the lake rather than ever a working flour mill like the wooden post mill (http://servercc.oakton.edu/~wittman/mills/types.htm) that stood in Wavertree.

I concur that the Wavertree Mill was not near the Coffee House. When I did a survey of mills as a project for architecture class when I was attending Quarry Bank I visited the base of the mill and it was indeed off the intersection of Woolton Road and Church Road behind some houses on those respective roads. The map on the Historic Wavertree site (http://www.dhwav.btinternet.co.uk/page15.html) locates it just south of Woolton Road and north of Beverly Road.

Chris

ChrisGeorge
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi all

As noted on the Historic Wavertree site (http://www.dhwav.btinternet.co.uk/page59.html), the Wavertree Mill was a post mill, and the way such a mill worked was that the mill was physically turned round on its base to meet the prevailing winds. The below illustration is of such a recreated mill in colonial Williamburg, Virginia. On the left in the photograph, you can see the long post on a wheel that would have been moved to change the position of the mill.

Chris

http://www.ohlone.palo-alto.ca.us/Williamsburg/068%20windmill.jpg

Windmill in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. Courtesy of "Your Teacher Takes You to Colonial Virginia" (http://www.ohlone.palo-alto.ca.us/Williamsburg/index.htm)

ChrisGeorge
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi all

Photographs by Sue Adair of the tower mill in Moor Lane, Great Crosby, are at

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/72161

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/72159

Sue notes that, "Dated 1813, this windmill still produced wholemeal flour for local bakeries until the 1970's. It is now a private residence."

Chris

Kev
01-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Here's my contribution, courtesy of the Records Office at Liverpool City Library:

shytalk
01-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Fantastic pics, Ta. :037:

ChrisGeorge
01-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Here's my contribution, courtesy of the Records Office at Liverpool City Library:

Great pictures, Kev! The area of Lime Street, shown in one of the pics you show, was particularly known for its windmills.

Chris

PhilipG
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
They're wonderful pictures, Kev.
Were the locations identified?

Kev
01-27-2007, 07:50 PM
They're wonderful pictures, Kev.
Were the locations identified?

I'll have to get back to u on that.

PhilipG
01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I'll have to get back to u on that.

Thanks, Kev.

theninesisters
01-28-2007, 09:24 PM
There was once a windmill in Smithdown Lane too.....

ghughesarch
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM

The illustrations in Kev's post are (L-R, top to bottom):
Wavertree 1909;
Springfield Mill, Walton Road 1919 (built about 1800, demolished in the 1920s or 30s);
Limekiln Lane (i.e. Lime Street Station site) 1771;
Springfield Mill again;
Wavertree c1895;
Shaw’s Brow (roughly the site of the Walker Art Gallery) c1825 – there were two windmills here, plus one on the site of the fountain outside the Art Gallery and the row of windmills along where Lime Street station now is);
Junction of Marybone and Stockdale Street (now under the course of Leeds St, I think – I can’t find any record of this windmill except this one painting);
New Townsend Mill, North Shore (near the junction of Waterloo Road and Regent Street). Built 1792, burnt out 1880 and the three storey stump demolished in 1953;
New Townsend Mill again;
Shaw’s Brow again (viewed from roughly where the Tunnel entrance is now)
Wishing Gate Mill (roughly where the north end of Bath Street is);
Wishing Gate again;
Mill by St Alban’s Church, Bevington Bush. There were four windmills here until the 1860s and the tower of the most northerly one was still there in the 1960s.

There were a total of 74 windmills in Liverpool between 1250 and 1900, and remains of five still existed until after 1945 – Scott’s or Wilson’s Mill, Toxteth (demolished c1960); Leicester’s Mill, Scotland Road / Bevington Bush (demolished 1960s); New Townsend Mill (demolished 1953); Wavertree (remains of foundations cleared away in 1986); Newsham Park.

Newsham Park mill was built in 1868-69 to maintain the water levels in the lakes. The builder was James Burroughs and Son of Liverpool (quote for the work £380), machinery by Owens and Co. of London (£138). It remained in use until the 1920s at least, and was demolished in 1954.

Gareth

Ged
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Anyone ever seen this Liverpool windmill?

shytalk
04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Newsham Park mill was built in 1868-69 to maintain the water levels in the lakes. The builder was James Burroughs and Son of Liverpool (quote for the work £380), machinery by Owens and Co. of London (£138). It remained in use until the 1920s at least, and was demolished in 1954.

Gareth
Thanks Gareth, I remember Newsham Park mill when I was a kid. This is the most information I have ever seen about it.

PhilipG
04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Wavertree 1909;
Springfield Mill, Walton Road 1919 (built about 1800, demolished in the 1920s or 30s);
Springfield Mill again;
Wavertree c1895;
Shaw’s Brow (roughly the site of the Walker Art Gallery) c1825 – there were two windmills here, plus one on the site of the fountain outside the Art Gallery and the row of windmills along where Lime Street station now is);
Junction of Marybone and Stockdale Street (now under the course of Leeds St, I think – I can’t find any record of this windmill except this one painting);
New Townsend Mill, North Shore (near the junction of Waterloo Road and Regent Street). Built 1792, burnt out 1880 and the three storey stump demolished in 1953;
New Townsend Mill again;
Shaw’s Brow again (viewed from roughly where the Tunnel entrance is now)
Wishing Gate Mill (roughly where the north end of Bath Street is);
Wishing Gate again;
Mill by St Alban’s Church, Bevington Bush. There were four windmills here until the 1860s and the tower of the most northerly one was still there in the 1960s.

There were a total of 74 windmills in Liverpool between 1250 and 1900, and remains of five still existed until after 1945 – Scott’s or Wilson’s Mill, Toxteth (demolished c1960); Leicester’s Mill, Scotland Road / Bevington Bush (demolished 1960s); New Townsend Mill (demolished 1953); Wavertree (remains of foundations cleared away in 1986); Newsham Park.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth, and welcome to the forum.

I did some research on Scott's Mill in Toxteth, and thought it survived well into the 1960s, which made me wonder if it was the last mill in Liverpool.

Ged
04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
That Mill is in Colin Wilkinson's book 'Liverpool from the air'. I#ve also seen Springfield and Scotland Road disused Mills in other books I have.

marky
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
When I was young I was dragged along to see something getting demolished on the flour mill site (Wilson King/Scotts mill etc). I was viewing from Corn Street, looking towards Bran Street area. There was a crowd of people around. You don't really take notice of such things when you're young, so it could well have been a chimney for all I know.
This couldn't have been any earlier than the late 1960s.

ChrisGeorge
04-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks Gareth, and welcome to the forum.

I did some research on Scott's Mill in Toxteth, and thought it survived well into the 1960s, which made me wonder if it was the last mill in Liverpool.

Hi PhilipG

I took photographs of Scott's Mill in Toxteth for a project on local mills for architecture class at Quarry Bank High School, where I attended 1965-1967, so I know the old windmill was still there at that time. Those photos are among a pile of photos of old Liverpool that I have to get digitized.

Chris

PhilipG
04-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone, especially Chris for the dates.
I was 99% sure I'd seen it marked on a 1966 OS map.
Now I'm 100% sure.

ChrisGeorge
04-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone, especially Chris for the dates.
I was 99% sure I'd seen it marked on a 1966 OS map.
Now I'm 100% sure.

Hi Philip

Glad to help re the date in the Sixties through which Scott's Mill was still extant. I also remember the tower of Leicester’s Mill on Scotland Road / Bevington Bush which as per the list above was demolished in the Sixties also. It's sad to see these old remainders of the past city swept away which goes to show we have to cherish what is left.

Chris

marky
05-01-2007, 09:17 AM
There was another building of interest on the Scotts Mill site...the very old cottage. Some people say it was demolished in the 1960s, but I have a feeling it was still there until at least 1974.
The big brown-brick part of the mill is crowned with a date of 1883. It is almost surrounded by newer silos. I haven't counted how many floors it has, but it's pretty high for a brick structure.

PhilipG
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
There was another building of interest on the Scotts Mill site...the very old cottage. Some people say it was demolished in the 1960s, but I have a feeling it was still there until at least 1974.
The big brown-brick part of the mill is crowned with a date of 1883. It is almost surrounded by newer silos. I haven't counted how many floors it has, but it's pretty high for a brick structure.

Do you mean Grove Cottage?
http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverpool/history/buildings/grove%20cottage.htm
Or was there one within the site itself?
I knew Mrs Dean whose husband was the caretaker at Spillers (or foreman, or something) and she let me copy a pic of their house which was inside the site, but it was only late Victorian.

I wrote quite a large piece on the mill site for Paul at toxteth.net, but unfortunately he hasn't had time to do much with his site since last July.

marky
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
That's it Grove cottage...but reading the text, someone says 1966, someone says earlier, and I think 1970s. I'd like to know for sure...I'm going from memory, not from any maps or anything.
Anyway I heard a Scotts mill story somewhere that Judas Burning took off when the foreman got some workers the sack, so they burned an effigy of him...just another rumour going around.

PhilipG
05-01-2007, 10:49 AM
That's it Grove cottage...but reading the text, someone says 1966, someone says earlier, and I think 1970s. I'd like to know for sure...I'm going from memory, not from any maps or anything.
Anyway I heard a Scotts mill story somewhere that Judas Burning took off when the foreman got some workers the sack, so they burned an effigy of him...just another rumour going around.

Marky, when it was standing, Grove Cottage was just outside the site of the mill, but now that's it's gone the site's expanded and it's just inside.
I'll check, but I'm reasonably sure that the 1966 OS map shows the mill as standing, but Grove Cottage as already gone.
I'll have to go to the library, because I've only got the 1953 OS at home.
It was the centenary booklet for St Cleopas Church (1966) that mentioned Grove Cottage as being "recently demolished".

Incidently, one thing that annoys me about toxteth.net is that some of the articles have contributions from a number of people and they are mixed up together and the reader doesn't know who contributed what.
I like to make sure of my facts and don't like my name associated with mistakes.
Rant over.

marky
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I thought the building I was thinking of was visible in Grain Street, near Mill Street end. I accept you are correct...I must admit I didn't pay too much attention to old buildings or their precise locations, when I was younger. I think I'll have to invest in some maps.
I passed the area in the 1970s when there was some work going on (between Harlow Street and Grain Street). I used to have to walk in the road to get past the work that was going on. I must be confusing the two.

ChrisGeorge
05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi Philip and Marky

Philip, I have dug out the black and white slides I took of Scott's Mill and I see the year was 1967 so the old tower mill was in existence that year. The photos of the tower mill are unfortunately on the dark side. I also took a couple of photographs of old millstones that were on the premises. Is Scott's Mill still there? If so, I assume the millstones are still there as well. Another thing is that one of the photos I took was of one of the line illustrations in Griffiths' History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth which shows Scott's Mill in 1845. I assume the building shown to the right of the tower mill is Grove Cottage.

Chris

ghughesarch
05-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Philip and Marky

Philip, I have dug out the black and white slides I took of Scott's Mill and I see the year was 1967 so the old tower mill was in existence that year. The photos of the tower mill are unfortunately on the dark side. I also took a couple of photographs of old millstones that were on the premises. Is Scott's Mill still there? If so, I assume the millstones are still there as well. Another thing is that one of the photos I took was of one of the line illustrations in Griffiths' History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth which shows Scott's Mill in 1845. I assume the building shown to the right of the tower mill is Grove Cottage.

Chris

I believe the millstones went into the Large Objects Store at Liverpool Museum about 1985.

taffy
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Wavertree 1909;
Springfield Mill again;
Wavertree c1895;

There was also a Mill in Wellington Rd, Wavertree. It was on the site of Bisley St and Wimbledon Street close to the railway line

marky
05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Here's the mill from 2004...I bet it's had some major additions over the years.

PhilipG
05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I thought the building I was thinking of was visible in Grain Street, near Mill Street end. I accept you are correct...I must admit I didn't pay too much attention to old buildings or their precise locations, when I was younger. I think I'll have to invest in some maps.
I passed the area in the 1970s when there was some work going on (between Harlow Street and Grain Street). I used to have to walk in the road to get past the work that was going on. I must be confusing the two.

Marky, there's probably nothing wrong with your memory, because it sounds like perhaps that was when the Mission Hall was demolished.
It was on the corner of Mill Street and Grain Street (next to Grove Cottage), and can be seen on the B&W photo at the top of the Grove Cottage article.

Ged
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Springfield Mill, Walton Road in 1919 and the same scene in the 1980s from the book then and now and an 07 view.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9386/springfieldmill1919gg9.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=springfieldmill1919gg9.jpg)

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9116/springfield70sku7.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=springfield70sku7.jpg)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6885/springfield70spd5.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=springfield70spd5.jpg)

Ged
05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
This is the now view.

Ged
05-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Burrough's Gardens Mill 1869 and an 07 view, I know what was much nicer.

For a view of the opposite corner, see message 80 in the flats and maisonettes topic in the housing thread.

Ged
05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Scotland Road mill in 1947 and a now view. This is the stretch from Silvester street to Woodstock street and where the Honky Tonk aka Dolly Hickies stood for many years. The 1st pic is from the LRO.

ChrisGeorge
05-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Scotland Road mill in 1947 and a now view. This is the stretch from Silvester street to Woodstock street and where the Honky Tonk aka Dolly Hickies stood for many years. The 1st pic is from the LRO.

Thanks, Ged. I remember that mill from riding up Scotland Road on the L5 Ribble bus up to my auntie's in Thornton. That would have been circa 1954-1967, about which time I believe the mill was demolished.

Chris

PhilipG
05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I sent this to toxteth.net just a year ago, but it was never used, so because it's all ready to read, I'll put it here.

SOUTH END AND HIGH PARK FLOUR MILLS.

The following is taken from a brief history of the Wilson's Mill in Mill Street.
This is the mill that is still trading as ADM Milling.
(Is it a contender for the longest established business in Toxteth?).
This history was published in 1911 when the proprietors were W. O. & J. Wilson, Ltd.
I will copy the first part as it it stands, because the details haven't been checked.

Three windmills are known to have been in this neighbourhood.
1. Scott's Mill, which is the one with which this piece is concerned, although it's interesting that the author of this piece avoids mentioning any of the previous owners' names.
2. There was a windmill at the junction at Hill Street and Mill Street, which was the one that gave its name to Mill Street.
3. The Park Road Windmill which stood on the site of Pickwick Street.
There was also another windmill just outside the Toxteth boundary, on the mount on which the Anglican Cathedral was built.
And, for the record, a cluster of mills in Lime Street, with more being scattered across Liverpool.

The reference below to a mill in Rigby Street is a mystery - as far as I know there never was such a street in Toxteth - perhaps it was in Stockport.

Quote:
"SOUTH END AND HIGH PARK FLOUR MILLS.

"ADVENT OF THE NEW SYSTEM.

"In giving a brief account of the rise and progress of the South End and High Park Mills, owned and worked by the firm of Messrs. W O & J Wilson Ltd., it may be of interest to the reader to have some particulars of the historic site on which the imposing mills and grain warehouses, reproduced in our sketch, now stand.

The Royal Park of Toxteth, formerly one of the hunting parks of King John, has been for some centuries associated with the milling industry.

In the years 1590-91, during the mayoralty of John Byrde, it was notified that the Royal Park of Toxteth was to be disparked, and "That about 100 acres should be reserved for the inhabitants of Liverpool, or such of them as would endeavour themselves to take the same, or such portion as they could conveniently deal with." In the year 1604 we find that portions of the land were divided, dwelling-houses built, and a considerable area converted into arable and pasture land, some parts being tilled and sown with corn; also that two water mills for grinding corn had been erected.

In 1789, by a grant under the Duchy Seal, the park was conveyed to the Earl of Sefton for a valuable consideration, and in course of time the water mills gave place to the wind-mill which occupied the site until it ultimately came into the possession of the late Mr William Oldfield Wilson, the founder of the firm of W O & J Wilson. Coming to Liverpool from Stockport, Mr Wilson took the Rigby Street Mill, and when in 1847 he sold this to Messrs. G & E Elliot, the manufacture of flour was transferred to the wind-mill in Toxteth Park. The accompanying illustration, reproduced from an oil painting made at the time, shows the mill as it was when taken over by Mr Wilson.

The business there developed rapidly, and in 1863 a steam mill was erected adjoining the wind-mill, which, however, continued in use till 1885 when it was dismantled, new machinery being installed, and steam became the motive power also for this mill.

In 1863 the late Mr Joseph Wilson joined his brother in Partnership, and took a prominent part in the management of the business. Both brothers had received practical training at their father's mill in Stockport, where the milling industry had been successfully carried on by the Wilson family for three generations. Both were men of fine physique and energy, and fully alive to the great changes about to be wrought in milling by the introduction of improved machinery."
End of quote.

The rest of the history goes on in a similar vein - it had, after all, been written for the trade journal "Milling", and it's a publicity piece for Wilson's - so I'll just extract some relevant parts.

"In 1871 the High Park Mills were found to be inadequate for the requirements of the trade, and the firm lost no time in supplying the want by the erection of the massive stone building known as South End Mills, the stone for this being quarried out of the adjacent land."

It appears that High Park Mill and South End Mill were both part of the same site, with South End Mill being the "tower block" that is seen in the 1920s photo of Grove Cottage.

"Further additions were made to the already substantial block of buildings, and in 1874 the imposing warehouse in Grain Street was erected."

"By this time (ie 1874) great changes had taken place in the district. When the property was first occupied by the founder of the firm, the surroundings of the old wind-mill were quite rural. Between it, and what is now Caryl Street, was a tract of rocky common land known as "Mill-fields", and partly occupied with gorse bushes, a sandy shore and, later, timber yards, occupied the site of the present magnificent South End Docks. South Hill Road and the Dingle were then residential suburbs where many of the Liverpool merchants resided."

"During the partnership of Mr W O Wilson and Mr Joseph Wilson the firm erected streets of houses in the immediate neighbourhood of their mills for the convenience of the employees. An Institute for recreation was also opened, both partners taking the deepest interest in the welfare of every man in their employ, ever ready with help and advice in all times of trouble or sickness, either in the case of the employees or their families."

"In 1880 a disastrous fire occurred at the South End Mills, the chief portion of the mill and warehouse being burned. Steps were promptly taken to reinstate the plant, the old machinery being replaced with that of the most improved type, and a few years later more modern and powerful engines were installed, these superseding the original engines which had been constructed and erected under the direction of Mr W O Wilson."

"The year 1886 saw the High Park Mills lighted by electricity, and a few years later a larger plant was laid down, by which means the entire group of mills, warehouses, and offices were lighted, and the old system of gas lighting entirely abolished, the electric current being generated on the premises. With a view of further minimising the risk of fire a complete installation of fire sprinklers was introduced, the whole of the buildings being fitted with these safeguards."

"In 1892-3 extensive wheat silos were erected, capable of holding large quantities of wheat, thus enabling the firm to stock the various qualities of grain necessary for the regular production of their well known flours, to carry into effect their motto of "Highest quality, Greatest regularity," the result of which has done much to develop and retain their present high position in the milling world."

"To cope with the further growth of the trade, it was found necessary in 1894 to undertake the reconstruction of South End Mills, and a new roller plant was laid down, largely increasing the output of flour, and this necessitated in the following year a further addition in the shape of new and increased power engines. The remodelling of the mill and the erection of the engines, drive, etc., were carried out under the direction of Mr Frank C Wilson (the present Chairman of the Company) who is a practical engineer and miller."

"A few years later large warehouses in Bran Street were built for the storage of mill products, special attention being paid to secure the most favourable conditions of storage, ventilation and temperature."

The above was taken from the Company's version of their history.
However, contemporary maps paint a different picture of the early history.
The 1767 Map of Toxteth Park shows the field in which the mill would appear. It is called "Rough and Hollow", and, significantly, there are no buildings shown at all.
1816 & 1826 maps: Shows a little sketch of a windmill.
1835 Map: Mill. Mrs Scott.
1847 map: New Park Windmill.
1881 map: High Park Mills.
It was still Wilsons in the 1930s, but it was later called Spillers Wilson King.
It is currently ADM Milling Ltd.

My personal interpretation is that the windmill was erected after 1789, but before 1816.
I can't confirm that it replaced two water mills.
Don't water mills require a flow of water?
What is the significance of the word "New" used on the 1847 map?
With this history being published in 1911, could it have been on the occasion of the centenary of the windmill, but somewhere along the way the author forgot to mention that important point?

By the way, the sketches referred to are very poor - my copy of the history was a poor photocopy.

Kev
05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks Phil :PDT11

PhilipG
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Phil :PDT11

You're welcome, Kev.
I did quite a lot of research for that piece, so it's good that it's out in the public domain, rather than just sitting in my 'sent mail'.

Ged
05-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Well done.:thumbsup:

taffy
06-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Once located at the top of Charles Berrington Rd. Demolished early part of the 20th C. See

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4260337&a=31518811&f=

ChrisGeorge
06-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Once located at the top of Charles Berrington Rd. Demolished early part of the 20th C. See

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4260337&a=31518811&f=

Many thanks, Taffy. Great to see the Wavertree Mill, though now gone, still commemorated on the site where it stood on Charles Berrington Road, as well as on the Web, courtesy of the Wavertree historical society.

Chris

Ged
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, i've had the pleasure of meeting Mike Chitty and Rob Zatz of the Wavertree History Society, very knowledgeable men of that area and Mike even had a photo of Gerard Gardens for me.

MarkA
06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Once located at the top of Charles Berrington Rd. Demolished early part of the 20th C.

Ah well, I was only 500 metres out (I did say that it was in the area of the Coffee House/Blind School)...see start of thread.

chippie
06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
does anyone know if the hospital is still around or if it has been demolished?

When I was working in Mill Road Hospital, I remember that we used to have patients from the children,s home. Did the hospital get turned into the home or were they separate places?

Does anyone have a photo of the hospital please.?:)

shytalk
06-15-2007, 05:47 PM
It was demolished in the early 90's. A private housing estate was built there, my sister has lived there since they were built.
There is a picture of it on this site.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Liverpool/Liverpool.shtml

chippie
06-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Thank you Shytalk, much appreciated:)

Browniescorner
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know where the Townsend Mill was? I found a pic/painting of it on http://www.mersey-gateway.org listed as Townsend Mill/Regent Rd. Does this mean it was on Regent rd & near Townsend st?

ghughesarch
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know where the Townsend Mill was? I found a pic/painting of it on http://www.mersey-gateway.org listed as Townsend Mill/Regent Rd. Does this mean it was on Regent rd & near Townsend st?

Just east of Nelson Dock on Regent Road. Actually it was "New Townsend" Mill, the original Townsend Mill (which was demolished about the same time that the Regent Road mill was built in 1792) was where the fountain is outside the Walker Art Gallery.

The Townsend name in both cases described the location of the mills when they were built - at the end of the town.

It was burnt out in 1880 but the bottom four floors of the tower were still standing until the 1950s.

marky
04-29-2008, 10:34 PM
This is located at the Southern end of Smithdown Road. The building has recently been surrounded in scaffolding (I think it sells bathrooms etc).

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee262/south_liverpool/Windmill.jpg

skgogosfan
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
I never knew there was a windmill in Newsham either and I live by it. Pity it was demolished,another little bit of character lost.

Dave.

wsteve55
07-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi,
is this the mill you meant, in Newsham park? This one was used for pumping water in the lake/boating pond.

skgogosfan
10-18-2008, 05:19 AM
I wonder,if the park gets this lottery grant the council is after,will they build a smaller replica? lol.

Dave.

joge
02-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Came across these on:?

Which has more similar, and pics of Liverpool from the same era.

dazza
06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I rediscovered this thread today and thought it needs a 'bump!' :)

Partsky
06-18-2010, 05:39 AM
There is an old windmill down the road from me, on Liverpool Road, Lydiate, in between Lambshear Lane and Moss Lane. Its now a private residence and garden centre. Its in good nick too

Ged
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I pass that every weekend.

dazza
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Forest's mill, Lydiate - see link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lydiate_windmill.jpg

dazza
06-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Prescot Windmill, c.1905

Image courtesy of Knowsley Library Service.

ChrisGeorge
06-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Dazza.

C

wsteve55
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I went past the mill in Moor lane,and it looks like some major renovation is in progress,but don't think they'll be putting the sails back!? Here's a couple of then, and now pic's.(origin uncertain)

ChrisGeorge
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Steve. Great to see. I used to ride past this mill on board the L5 or L6 Ribble bus on the way to or from my auntie's in Water Street, Thornton. As you do, I doubt if there are any plans to restore the sails.

Chris

dazza
06-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Great series Steve. It would look amazing with the sails restored. I wonder whether this is just a dream, or whether there're some plans 'aloft'?

lindylou
06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Good pics Wsteve.

wsteve55
06-18-2010, 10:07 PM
It was up for sale at £50,000,about 10/12 years ago,but probably needed work,then!

dazza
06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I'd love the challenge of living in a windmill. I think I'd end up restoring it though? Imagine those big sails reinstated. Fantastic! :)

wsteve55
06-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I'd love the challenge of living in a windmill. I think I'd end up restoring it though? Imagine those big sails reinstated. Fantastic! :)

Especially on a windy night,that grinding noise would help you sleep!:unibrow:

dazza
06-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Especially on a windy night,that grinding noise would help you sleep!:unibrow:
Ha, nothing disturbs my sleep, nothing. For free electricity, I'd put up with the noise. :)

wsteve55
06-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Ha, nothing disturbs my sleep, nothing. For free electricity, I'd put up with the noise. :)

I suppose a modern mechanism,would be much quieter?

ChrisGeorge
11-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I went past the mill in Moor lane,and it looks like some major renovation is in progress,but don't think they'll be putting the sails back!? Here's a couple of then, and now pic's.(origin uncertain)

A recent purchase by me on ebay!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/5201684727_efafb90fc8_z.jpg

wsteve55
11-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Nice pic' Chris,must be 20's/30's?

wsteve55
11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I mistakenly deleted, many of the pic's I posted,so here are a few of the mill,over the years.

wsteve55
11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Talking of windmills,does anyone have any good pic's of the one that was in Scotland rd,and know when it was finally demolished?

pic's courtesy of L.R.O.

dazza
11-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Scotland Road Mill in the early 1840's. St Anthony's church can be seen opposite the mill.

View by Ackerman [LRO].

wsteve55
11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Scotland Road Mill in the early 1840's. St Anthony's church can be seen opposite the mill.

View by Ackerman [LRO].

Just seems odd, that even though it was on one of the main roads into the city,there aren't many pic's of it around??

dazza
11-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Just seems odd, that even though it was on one of the main roads into the city,there aren't many pic's of it around??

Not only that, it was the first thing that married couples would have seen exiting St Anthony's church. You'd think it'd be on someone's wedding photos?

Scotland Road, St Anthony's Church - 1848/64 OS map [LRO].

Ronijayne
11-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Fantastic.

ellergreen
11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=wsteve55;309814]Talking of windmills,does anyone have any good pic's of the one that was in Scotland rd,and know when it was finally demolished?

I think it was situated where (upper) Woodstock Gardens are. Between Silvester and Benledi Streets.
Demolished late 40's.
Sadly, no pics. Cameras were a luxury item in those days.

Ged
11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I think it lasted much later than the 40s, see the above pics (post 83)

ellergreen
11-24-2010, 11:52 AM

View by Ackerman [LRO].

Interesting map!
The Church along from St. Anthonys marked 'St Martins' must be the site where the Derby Cinema was later situated.
Just south of St Anthonys is another Church in Oxford Street (later renamed Silvester St) This ,was war damaged, and nicknamed the 'Black' Church it's real tltle was St Martins in the Fields.

Ged
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Spot on ellergreen. A true Scottie roader then :PDT11

Wilbraham House tennies were built on St. Martins church Scottie though. Now that site's a petrol station. The Derby cinema building which is still there was originally a Weslyan chapel.

ellergreen
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I think it lasted much later than the 40s, see the above pics (post 83)

You're right Ged,
my big Sis tell me it survived into the fifties and was situated in Woodstock street and Westmorland st/place, behind Costigans the Grocers.

ellergreen
11-24-2010, 01:09 PM
"A true Scottie roader then"

Oh yes
pic 2 yrs before my hatching

ChrisGeorge
11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Nice pic' Chris,must be 20's/30's?

Thanks, Steve. If you look at the postmark on the address side of the postcard it is 1931 although of course the photograph may have been taken some years earlier. Thank you so much for posting your photos of the Great Crosby mill!

Chris

wsteve55
11-24-2010, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=wsteve55;309814]Talking of windmills,does anyone have any good pic's of the one that was in Scotland rd,and know when it was finally demolished?

I think it was situated where (upper) Woodstock Gardens are. Between Silvester and Benledi Streets.
Demolished late 40's.
Sadly, no pics. Cameras were a luxury item in those days.

If you study the cars in pic'1,you can assume it's late 50's,early 60's,judging by the models!( an Austin Cambridge is one of them,I think)

GeorgePorgie
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/park/346/history2.html

ChrisGeorge
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Here's some information on the execution of Jacobite prisoners from the Old Pretender's rebellion of 1715 at the Gallows Mill off London Road, as described in Richard Brooke, Liverpool as it was During the Last Quarter of the Eighteenth Century (1863 edition):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/5223514537_38d705557a_b.jpg

(Note: the page begins by saying that the prisoners were in the Tower on Water Street before their execution.)

ghughesarch
12-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Liverpool in 1795. 8 Windmills shown, though there were more just off the image to the right:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5087/5227961974_3cdd4d5601.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5227961974/)

Base of North Shore / Townsend Mill before demolition, c.1952
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5227367779_a9d26143c0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5227367779/)

Leicester's Mill, Scotland Road, 1936 (courtesy of Donald Muggeridge, San Rafael, California):
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5227369069_68a5a15841.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5227369069/)

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Scott's / Wilson's Mill, Toxteth, 1962 (BTW, Chris, how did you get on with digitsing your 1960s pics of this - I've only been waiting 3 years to see them? ;o))
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5227967664_9042e3f3f2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5227967664/)

"Mediaeval" post mill on a float at the Liverpool 700th anniversary pageant, 1907:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5227373967_06b6b9f074.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5227373967/)

ChrisGeorge
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Scott's / Wilson's Mill, Toxteth, 1962 (BTW, Chris, how did you get on with digitsing your 1960s pics of this - I've only been waiting 3 years to see them? ;o))
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5227967664_9042e3f3f2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5227967664/)

Nag! Nag! Nag! Actually I was only just thinking that I need to digitize my slides, which is long overdue. I also have some great shots of the southern docks when I worked as a clerk at Wapping Dock for the Mersey Docks and Harbor Board in 1966. Just to make you even more jealous. I will get the slides transferred to digital format soon I hope. Thanks for the friendly nudge.

Chris

Ged
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Plenty of the Wilson King silo on here: http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=43514575&cr=7

ChrisGeorge
12-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Plenty of the Wilson King silo on here: http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=43514575&cr=7

Hi Ged

I looked but did not see any of the Toxteth mill. Wrong page maybe?

C

ghughesarch
12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
A picture which explains very well why windmills went out of use. In a windy week, a mill like Great Crosby would do well to fill two or three of the carts full of flour sacks in this photo of the Liverpool North Shore steam mills (and a small mill like Wavertree would do well to fill one). All the carts shown, combined, are carrying one day's output from North Shore http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5001/5229785636_2fc4440b43.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5229785636/)

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Woolton windmill, built 1810, before and after the fire which gutted it in 1898
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/5229787760_9a847e7368.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5229787760/)http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/5229789676_2356919053.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5229789676/)

Ainsdale Mill, converted to steam power (demolished about 1970):
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/5229781838_cdbdd182cc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5229781838/)

And another view of the Newsham Park windpump that started this thread:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/5229193013_27238d8742.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99939763@N00/5229193013/)

ChrisGeorge
12-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Great images! Thanks again! :handclap:

Chris

Kev
09-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Wavertree Windmill in a decent condition

ChrisGeorge
12-20-2013, 08:02 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/11469072873_ec8aea240f_o.jpg

Great Crosby Mill in a postcard datemarked 1931