PDA

View Full Version : Famous Toxteth and Edge Hill People

Kev
11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm compiling a list of famous people from the Toxteth and Edge Hill area. Any famous people, notible residents/ ex residents from past and present, can anyone help?

Max
11-10-2006, 11:49 AM
John Conteh is from Toxteth.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Waterways
11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm compiling a list of famous people from the Toxteth and Edge Hill area. Any famous people, notible residents/ ex residents from past and present, can anyone help?

- Ringo Star
- Gerry Marsden
- Arthur Askey
- John Gregson (actor)
- The James Bond actress (whatshername?)
- Eddie Bradin (wrote the Morcambe & Wise shows)
- Billy Fury
- George Melly
- Commander James Bulloch (American Confederate Navy). Lived and died in Canning St and buried in Toxteth cemetary.
- Jeremiah Horrocks (discovered Venus)
- William Hitler (Adolf's nephew) born and brought up in Stanhope St.

ChrisGeorge
11-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Robbie Fowler, well-known Toxteth scally, reputed to be the finest "natural" goal scorer England has produced, a footballer who has played for Liverpool, Leeds United, Manchester City, and England. See biography at anfield-online.co.uk (http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/squad/fowler.html).

My grandfather's brother, Liverpool comedian Billy Matchett (1889-1974) (http://the-music-hall.haisoft.net/laterv/LVBM.htm), known as the "Mirthquake" and "The last of the red-nosed comics," was brought up at 46 Merlin Street in Toxteth, and his father George T. Matchett was a docker. He was educated at the Harrington Board School in Toxteth.

Reverend Canon Henry Postance founded Holy Trinity Church in Parliament Street in 1858. He built the Ragged School in Beaufort Street in 1868 and ran it for thirty years. According to the Liverpool Weekly Mercury in 1908 (http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/History2.html), due to his efforts, "The area's most poorest children were provided with dinner, clogs and warm clothes in winter."

Chris

ChrisGeorge
11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Kev

If you are including Edge Hill, as you say you are, don't forget the famous "Mole of Edge Hill" Joseph Williamson, the philanthropist responsible for the famous maze of tunnels started as a scheme to provide relief for the people of Liverpool in the depression following the Napoleonic Wars.

Chris

GhostSearch
11-10-2006, 05:48 PM
The James Bond actress (whatshername?)

That'll bug me, what is her name :rolleyes:

SteH
11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Ex Liverpool FC footballer Howard Gayle, whose biggest moment came in the 1980-1 European Cup semi final against Bayern Munich

scouserdave
11-10-2006, 07:57 PM
John Conteh is from Toxteth.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:
I thought he was a Kirkby lad? Did he originate from Tocky? Never knew that, thanks. Met him on a number occasions in London. Last I heard, he's living in St John's Wood (Abbey Rd and all that) A thoroughly lovely lad. Used to bump into his scumbag brother downtown in Liverpool when I was a kid. Nasty piece of work and was regulary slapped whenever he wasn't surrounded by all his big hard mates.:PDT_Xtremez_12:

shytalk
11-10-2006, 08:10 PM
He was born in Kirkby.

http://www.johnconteh.co.uk/about.htm

scouserdave
11-10-2006, 08:19 PM
He was born in Kirkby.

http://www.johnconteh.co.uk/about.htm
Nice one Shytalk:PDT_Piratz_26:
BTW, he was one amazing scouse boxer...him and also Alan Rudkin:PDT_Piratz_26:

Joaquin
11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Half of me wants to give you a blanket and a warm place to live, the other half wants to piss on your bonfire. Surely these people aren't famous if nobody outside Liverpool has heard of them?

Waterways
11-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Half of me wants to give you a blanket and a warm place to live, the other half wants to piss on your bonfire. Surely these people aren't famous if nobody outside Liverpool has heard of them?

Which people?

Joaquin
11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Which people?

*smacks self in head*

sweetpatooti
11-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Lita Roza - a singer from the 50s - she's from Lodge Lane
John Gregson - actor - Lodge Lane

sweetpatooti
11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh I forgot - Roy McFarland - used to play for Derby County in the 70s - from Solon Street in Edge Hill (back of Clint Road School)

Joaquin
11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Barry Yackman - That frozen inuit they found holding a pack of Quavers. By inuit I mean bloke. By bloke I mean Barry Yackman.

ChrisGeorge
11-10-2006, 11:42 PM

Are you seriously saying nobody outside of Liverpool has heard of

- Ringo Starr
- Gerry Marsden
- Arthur Askey
- John Gregson
- Robbie Fowler

I agree that there is a border to be crossed whereby people are only famous locally and not in a wider national or international framework. However, if your beef is that my relative, Billy Matchett, for example, was not famous, well he appeared on the stage throughout the British Isles as a comedian and in pantomime (usually as the Dame) as well as in old tyme music hall throughout Britain and the Channel Islands.

Chris

Motorhemp
11-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Billy who again...:unibrow: he he

I like the poetry Chris - when you come over for the Ripperfest (can't think of a better way to put it) you should go to some of the open 'mic poetry nights and perform some of them - poets night at the Egg cafe or Everyman as a suggestion.

SteH
11-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Ian Callaghan - played more games for Liverpool Fc than anyone else was born and raised in Toxteth

Phina Oruche -actress who played Liberty in Footballers Wives and now in I'm a celebrity (born in Nigeria but raised in Toxteth)

Mark Moraghan - Holby City/ex Brookside actor born/raised there.

theninesisters
11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Also in Edge Hill - good neighbours of Joseph Williamson have included:

James Martineau, Cornelius Henderson and Dr Raffles - all noted people from the 1800's!!

ChrisGeorge
11-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Billy who again...:unibrow: he he

I like the poetry Chris - when you come over for the Ripperfest (can't think of a better way to put it) you should go to some of the open 'mic poetry nights and perform some of them - poets night at the Egg cafe or Everyman as a suggestion.

Hi Motorhemp

Thanks for liking my poems. The plan is for me to appear at a couple of poetry readings in connection with the Living on Hope Street anthology in which I have a section of poems. Jim Bennett has told me there are plans for readings at the Everyman and Albert Dock.

Chris

scouserdave
11-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Barry Yackman - That frozen inuit they found holding a pack of Quavers. By inuit I mean bloke. By bloke I mean Barry Yackman.
LOL!
I like the cut of your jib Joaquin. You make me laugh! :PDT_Piratz_26:

Sloyne
11-11-2006, 07:27 PM
- Arthur Askey.Arthur Askey was born in Manchester and I have the forged birth certificate to prove it.;)

twiz
11-11-2006, 11:18 PM
John Lennon once shared a flat with Stuart Sutcliffe at No. 3 Gambier Terrace.

Curtis Warren, drug baron. (yeah I know, but he's still famous)

scouserdave
11-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Didn't The Real Thing come from Toxteth? I know they had an album called Liverpool 8. Chris Amoo is now a dog breeder. I think he won Crufts in 1987. Well, not him exactly, more like his Afghan Hound:unibrow:

Waterways
11-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Arthur Askey was born in Manchester and I have the forged birth certificate to prove it.;)

uh!

Sloyne
11-12-2006, 04:28 PM
uh!Losec is excellent for treating indigestion, stops burping almost immediately. Hope you feel better soon.:)

Kev
11-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the posts peeps, saved me a lot of searching around ond my own site. :PDT_Piratz_26:

Max
11-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Thought Conteh was from Toxteth, then moved to Kirkby?

shytalk
11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
His website definitely says born in Kirkby.

SteH
11-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Didn't The Real Thing come from Toxteth? I know they had an album called Liverpool 8. Chris Amoo is now a dog breeder. I think he won Crufts in 1987. Well, not him exactly, more like his Afghan Hound:unibrow:

Yes they were, started out as The Chants in the 60s.

Waterways
11-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Yes they were, started out as The Chants in the 60s.

They never. There was an age gap between them.

lindylou
11-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Chris & Eddie who are brothers were in the Chants.
The other members of the Real Thing were Kenny Davis (who unfortunately was not still in the group when they got their fame). Also there was Ray Lake and Dave Smith.

ChrisGeorge
11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
"The Real Thing" Biography on allmusic.com by Andrew Hamilton (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fpfpxq95ldhe~T1)

Northern soul had emerged in the north of England when the Real Thing formed in 1970, but the disco/funk/soul quartet couldn't get into the obscure R&B sounds, preferring instead the more progressive soul of the Temptations, Barry White, and funk jams. The Liverpool natives aspired for international success, a dream that went unfulfilled. Original members Chris Amoo, Dave Smith, Kenny Davis, and Ray Lake began by covering and remaking popular American recordings, . . .

For unknown reasons, Davis left, and the Real Thing continued as a trio, doing some commercials, as well as live gigs. Their career began to sprout wings when David Essex started producing their initial Pye Recordings. Opening for Essex, they toured all over, even the States, the home of the music they loved. Initial collaborations with Essex, like previous recordings, were turntable hits, but sold few copies. By this time, Amoo' brother Eddie, who had sung with the Chants on Pye, joined the Real Thing. The Liverpool-bred but Ghanaian parentage brothers started writing songs that fleshed out their albums. Later, Loose Ends recorded an Amoo composition, "In the Sky," for their Virgin Records debut in 1980.

The Real Thing hooked up with Ken Gold, and boom, "You to Me Are Everything" aced the British pop chart and placed number 66 pop and number 29 soul in the States. Their first album, titled The Real Thing, contained their chart busters and previous singles. The group wanted to call their second LP Liverpool 8, the name of the racially mixed section of Liverpool where they grew up with Asians, Africans, Chinese, Irish, and anyone else who couldn't afford more opulent surroundings. Pye Records didn't like the name, so they compromised with Four From Eight, which meant nothing to anyone outside of Britain. . . .

ChrisGeorge
11-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi all

I've got another one. According to Wikipedia, Liverpool comedian Tommy Handley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Handley) was born in Toxteth.

Chris

PhilipG
11-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi all

I've got another one. According to Wikipedia, Liverpool comedian Tommy Handley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Handley) was born in Toxteth.

Chris

Tommy Handley later lived in Riversdale Road, next door to Battlecrease, the Maybrick house.
There is a little block of flats called Handley Court on the site now.
(Battlecrease is still there).

ChrisGeorge
11-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Tommy Handley later lived in Riversdale Road, next door to Battlecrease, the Maybrick house.
There is a little block of flats called Handley Court on the site now.
(Battlecrease is still there).

Thanks, Philip. I have been in Battlecrease House and used to live on Aigburth Hall Avenue up the road from Riversdale Road. I had not made the connection between Handley Court and Tommy Handley, thanks for that information!

Chris

Love
11-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Which people?

Azaktly!

Kev
11-21-2006, 10:50 AM
The list then:

Ringo Star
Gerry Marsden
Arthur Askey
John Gregson (actor)
Eddie Bradin (wrote the Morcambe & Wise shows)
Billy Fury
George Melly
Commander James Bulloch (American Confederate Navy). Lived and died in Canning St and buried in Toxteth cemetary.
Jeremiah Horrocks (discovered Venus)
William Hitler (Adolf's nephew) born and brought up in Stanhope St.
Robbie Fowler (footballer)
Joseph Williamson (The Mole of Edge Hill)
Ian Callaghan - played more games for Liverpool Fc than anyone else was born and raised in Toxteth
Phina Oruche -actress who played Liberty in Footballers Wives and now in I'm a celebrity (born in Nigeria but raised in Toxteth)
Curtis Warren, drug baron. Featured on the Times 100 Rich List.

Many thanks :celb (23):

ChrisGeorge
11-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Kev

It's Eddie Braben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Braben) not Bradin. You also need comedians Billy Matchett and Tommy Handley.

Chris

Waterways
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
The list then:

Ringo Star
Gerry Marsden
Arthur Askey
John Gregson (actor)
Billy Fury
George Melly
Commander James Bulloch (American Confederate Navy). Lived and died in Canning St and buried in Toxteth cemetary.

You have two John Gregsons. Missed Tommy Handley (was he actually Toxteth?) and the James Bond girl who came out of the water. Peter Sissons may have come from/lived in Toxteth. He went to the same primary school as John Lennon, Dovedale in Penny Lane. Penny Lane is mostly in Toxteth. He may have been on the Toxteth side.

John Lennon in Newcastle Rd was just outside Toxeth by about 100 yards, although he spent lots of time at a relatives house in Copperfield Street.
He also lived In Falkner St (Epsteins flat) and Garmoyle Road - both in Toxteth.

Waterways
11-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi Kev

It's Eddie Braben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Braben) not Bradin. You also need comedians Billy Matchett and Tommy Handley.

Chris

I have never heard of Billy Matchett.

ChrisGeorge
11-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I have never heard of Billy Matchett.

Hello Waterways

Billy Matchett (1889-1974) (http://the-music-hall.haisoft.net/laterv/LVBM.htm) was my grandfather's brother, a comedian known as the "Mirthquake" and "The last of the red-nosed comics," was brought up at 46 Merlin Street in Toxteth, and his father George T. Matchett was a docker. He was educated at the Harrington Board School in Toxteth. Granted he is an older comedian and not known today but he did appear at the Empire and the Royal Court and throughout the land in pantomime (usually as the Dame) and, in his later years, Old Tyme Music Hall. I remember going to see him in Southport in one of his last appearances.

We maybe should also include William Roscoe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Roscoe), who lived for a time in the Dingle, and the Rathbone family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathbone_family), who owned the Greenbank estate.

Chris

ChrisGeorge
11-21-2006, 02:17 PM
You have two John Gregsons. Missed Tommy Handley (was he actually Toxteth?) and the James Bond girl who came out of the water. Peter Sissons may have come from/lived in Toxteth. He went to the same primary school as John Lennon, Dovedale in Penny Lane. Penny Lane is mostly in Toxteth. He may have been on the Toxteth side.

John Lennon in Newcastle Rd was just outside Toxeth by about 100 yards, although he spent lots of time at a relatives house in Copperfield Street.
He also lived In Falkner St (Epsteins flat) and Garmoyle Road - both in Toxteth.

The Wikipedia site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Handley) on Tommy Handley says he was born in Toxteth. The BBC site on Handley (http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhistory/journey/stars/tommy_handley/profile.shtml) says he was born at 13 Threlfall Street.

Chris

Sloyne
11-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Garmoyle Road - in Toxteth.Isn't Garmoyle Road in Wavertree? And isnt Garmoyle Road located in the L15 district of Liverpool? And isn't Newcastle Road located in the Woolton district of Liverpool, also known as L15?

Waterways
11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
The Wikipedia site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Handley) on Tommy Handley says he was born in Toxteth. The BBC site on Handley (http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhistory/journey/stars/tommy_handley/profile.shtml) says he was born at 13 Threlfall Street.
Chris

Off Peel St. Yep L8

john
11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Levi Tafari (poet)

Waterways
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Craig Charles?

The black actor in Del Boy?

Max
11-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Isn't Garmoyle Road in Wavertree? And isnt Garmoyle Road located in the L15 district of Liverpool? And isn't Newcastle Road located in the Woolton district of Liverpool, also known as L15?

Garmoyle Road is Wavertree.

I live in one of the streets off it.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Max
11-21-2006, 11:23 PM
The list then:

Ringo Star
Gerry Marsden
Arthur Askey
John Gregson (actor)
Billy Fury
George Melly

And Light Heavyweight World champion John Conteh.:Colorz_Grey_PDT_24:

shytalk
11-22-2006, 12:20 AM
According to wikipedia he was born in Kirkby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Conteh

Waterways
11-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Garmoyle Road is Wavertree.

I live in one of the streets off it.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

It forms the border. Look at toxteth.net

taffy
01-01-2007, 01:13 AM

Josephine Butler lived in Park Rd Toxteth and was one of the most important social reformers of the 19th C. The is a memorial window to her in Liverpool Cathedral's Lady Chapel

christy
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Craig Charles?

The black actor in Del Boy?

Dont know about Paul Barber but Craig Charles is from Cantril Farm and John Conteh is defo from Kirby.

Pretty sure Woolton is L25

christy
01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Isnt Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden) from Park Rd????? Sure I remember her saying so on the thing she done for 'one foot in the past' a few years ago.....
Leonard Rossiter lived in Creten street (Wavertree or Toxteh?) and went to Granby street school.

SteH
01-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Dont know about Paul Barber but Craig Charles is from Cantril Farm and John Conteh is defo from Kirby.

Paul Barber was born in Ireland but fostered by a Liverpool family, dont know what district they were from though.

lindylou
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I heard that Paul Barber went to Granby st school.

theninesisters
01-05-2007, 09:42 PM

Craig Charles (Red Dwarf, Corry) was born and bred in Childwall, about 2 mins walk from the church. Loads of us used to knock about with him and his brother. His dad still lives in the same house.

PhilipG
01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
For what it's worth, I don't think Simon's from Toxteth.
His family home was Howard Drive in Grassendale when he was in Brookside.
I don't know whether he was born and bred there, though.

Kev
01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Craig Charles (Red Dwarf, Corry) was born and bred in Childwall, about 2 mins walk from the church. Loads of us used to knock about with him and his brother. His dad still lives in the same house.

Wasn't he born underneath the Pool table in the Aigburth Arms? :)

hatzran
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM

John Meakin landlord (now deceased) of Liverpool 8; Peter Kavanaghs (the Grapes); The Basnett Bar and the Baltic Fleet fame may want a mention.
He was infamously took to court for biting a girls bum in his cellar and then riding to court on a horse and carriage. Also known for wearing an admiral costume to work. Later took to wearing a bowler hat and pin striped suit around town. Once appeared on play your cards right with Bruce Forsyth in the late 70s. Was also in the Liverpool Echo during the Shankly years selling fake kaiser hats. on the back page. Finally dressed up as an NCP attendent and skanked a load of American Beatle fans for minding their cars during a convention. A real Liverpool character beyond compare. Their will only ever be one John Meakin. ::PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Kev
01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Welcome and thanks: Here's a thread that has many a character in (http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3140)

Steven
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I still meet and talk with the famous boxer 'Hogan Kid Bassy' he is a gentleman.

verdi
04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I'd heard Conteh was from Toxteth, he lived in the tennaments the corner of Mill Street and Harlow Street. Was Mathew Arnold from Toxteth? :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

taffy
04-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd heard Conteh was from Toxteth, he lived in the tennaments the corner of Mill Street and Harlow Street. Was Mathew Arnold from Toxteth? :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

No Matthew Arnold just happened to die in Toxteth. Actually on Dingle Lane, when he was visiting his sister I believe.

Hutch
04-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Was Frankie Vaughan from Toxteth, he made a film on the cazzie.

Steven
04-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Was Frankie Vaughan from Toxteth, he made a film on the cazzie.

He was in a film with Anna Neagle, I think it was called ' These Dangerous Years' or Violent Playground. I'm not sure?

Frankie was a great person and his Gran was a Russian Jew. She used to say to him, "Frankie when you grow up you will be number Vaughn (one). This is the source that he took his name from."

I always thought that they came from the Scotty Road area ?

PhilipG
04-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Frankie was indeed a great man.
And rather dishy, too!

"These Dangerous Years" (1957) starred Frankie Vaughan.
It was produced by Anna Neagle, but she didn't appear in it.
Frankie's character was one of "The Dingle Boys" gang, and it was shot on location and included scenes of the caves at Knott's Hole.
Unfortunately no longer with us.

Our own Gerard will probably be able to sell you a copy.

BTW, "The Heart of a Man" by Frankie Vaughan is still one of my all-time favourite songs, but I'm not sure if that was the title of the film it came from.

Steven
04-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Frankie was indeed a great man.
And rather dishy, too!

"These Dangerous Years" (1957) starred Frankie Vaughan.
It was produced by Anna Neagle, but she didn't appear in it.
Frankie's character was one of "The Dingle Boys" gang, and it was shot on location and included scenes of the caves at Knott's Hole.
Unfortunately no longer with us.

Our own Gerard will probably be able to sell you a copy.

BTW, "The Heart of a Man" by Frankie Vaughan is still one of my all-time favourite songs, but I'm not sure if that was the title of the film it came from.

I was living in King Gardens at the time and was 10. They rounded up a lot of kids and took us up to the Cassey, as extras. We had a brilliant day out and all got half-a-crown.

Frankie then went on to put a cage over York House, so we could play footy on the roof. Hogan kid Bassey came down and opened it for us. Another true gentleman.

lindylou
04-15-2007, 01:06 PM
As far as I know he was from the Kempston st area, off Moss st.

SteH
07-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Liverpool FC's Lee Peltier, who played four games last season in the Carling Cup and Champions League, was born in Toxteth.

shytalk
07-27-2007, 07:01 PM
He was in a film with Anna Neagle, I think it was called ' These Dangerous Years' or Violent Playground. I'm not sure?

Frankie was a great person and his Gran was a Russian Jew. She used to say to him, "Frankie when you grow up you will be number Vaughn (one). This is the source that he took his name from."

I always thought that they came from the Scotty Road area ?

It was 'These dangerous years". I've got a copy. Anna Neagle isn't in it, she produced it. Frankie was from Edge Hill.

verdi
07-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Three of the Fourmost are from Dingle, Billy Hatton, Joey Bower, and Brian O'Hara (deceased). There was a footballer from Caryl gardens played for Derby 60s-70s, can't remember his name. think it was McGoven? Was Michael Holliday from Dingle? Alan Rudkin, Shay Neary, Larry Paul. Was in the echo in the week two lads from a family of ten from Upper Mann St. died, interesting stories, I think the name was Connor? One worked on appollo 11 as a welder, was well respected in USA, Flew the flag at the Whitehouse at half mast for him. :PDT_Xtremez_12: Reggie Bousenque's family lived at Princess park, not sure if he did. Also first woman to climb the Matterhorn lived at Princess Park, sadly can't recall her name?

Max
07-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Shay Neary? Is he someone else or do you mean Shea?

julieoapw
08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
What about the actress Cathy Tyson - was she from Toxteth?
Julie

paddyryan
12-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Just found this thread, so heres a couple more names to add tom your list

Victor Anichebe, footballer.
Alex Cox, filmmaker.
Niall Griffiths, author.
Jeremiah Horrocks, astronomer.
Holly Johnson, former lead singer of Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
Mark Moraghan, an actor.
Herbert Louis Samuel, the first Viscount Samuel of Mount Carmel and of Toxteth, who became the first Jewish Home Secretary.
Allan Ivo Steel (1892-1917) English cricketer.
Willy Russell writer and playwright.
Kevin Nolan footballer

lindylou
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks Paddy :PDT11

marky
12-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Here's a link to the Liverpool Echo:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-life/liverpool-lifestyle/2007/12/17/the-street-has-changed-so-it-s-nice-that-afterall-this-time-the-fans-still-remember-hilda-100252-20260045/
It's a interview with Jean Alexander. It mentions she was born in Rhiwlas Street, Princes Park (surely they mean Toxteth?). I never knew that, though I have heard she worked in Toxteth library.

taffy
12-20-2007, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=marky;96400] It mentions she was born in Rhiwlas Street, Princes Park (surely they mean Toxteth?). QUOTE]

This area was certainly once called Princes Park. St Margaret of Antioch Church School on Upper Hampton St still claims to be in Princes Park and of course there was Princes Park Hospital on Upper Parliament St.

These days this area is all now back in Princes Park Council Ward I believe.

marky
12-20-2007, 01:14 AM
I've always regarded the 'Welsh streets' as Toxteth. Anything else sounds just a bit too la-di-da.

naked lilac
12-20-2007, 05:02 AM
How about author Lyn Andrews.. still lives in Merseyside and has written so many wonderful stories about Liverpool....:handclap:

scousette1st
12-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi Verdi, the 2 men your on about was my Uncles Frank and Fredrick OConnor they lived in caryl gardens and Frank worked on the appolo, he told us that he carved his initials into the nose so that he was the 1st man on the moon lol, wen i told my friends at school ( i was only 9) they took the mick out of me calling me a liar lol true gents Freddy lived in yorkshire but he wanted his ashes scattered on the mersey which we did, the ferry stopped for us to do this,we called it Freddy across the mersey, my Uncle Franks getting done next year, they were the cousins of Richard Shields (dickie) who won the golden gloves and ran the carylie boxing club. scousette

Ged
12-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Scousette1st, do you mean Franky and Freddy who wrote the books 'it all came tumbling down' and the 4 'pub on every corner' ones. Has Freddy died then? What do you mean 'my uncle Franks getting done next year'? Is he palnning to die too - he's a presenter on Radio Merseyside isn't he, does he know about these plans for him :)

lindylou
12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
That's what I was wondering Ged but didn't like to ask :shock:

Frankie is still on the radio isn't he.

Ged
12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
As far as I know Lindy, wait a mo.....the airwaves have gone quiet.........:ninja:

ChrisGeorge
12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Scousette1st, do you mean Franky and Freddy who wrote the books 'it all came tumbling down' and the 4 'pub on every corner' ones. Has Freddy died then? What do you mean 'my uncle Franks getting done next year'? Is he palnning to die too - he's a presenter on Radio Merseyside isn't he, does he know about these plans for him :)

Scousette1st can explain but it occurs to me that presumably Fredrick O'Connor who lived in Yorkshire is different to Freddy O'Connor the author. Just a thought.

Chris

Waterways
12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi Verdi, the 2 men your on about was my Uncles Frank and Fredrick OConnor they lived in caryl gardens and Frank worked on the appolo, he told us that he carved his initials into the nose so that he was the 1st man on the moon lol, wen i told my friends at school ( i was only 9) they took the mick out of me calling me a liar lol true gents Freddy lived in yorkshire but he wanted his ashes scattered on the mersey which we did, the ferry stopped for us to do this,we called it Freddy across the mersey, my Uncle Franks getting done next year, they were the cousins of Richard Shields (dickie) who won the golden gloves and ran the carylie boxing club. scousette

Did they live on the 1st floor landing in Caryl Gdns.

scousette1st
12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi, they are different men ged, my mums family lived on top landing of caryl gardens there was 12 of them, and my uncle dickie shields lived on the 1st landing waterways, they are bringing my uncle Franks ashes home next year to be scattered on the mersey. scousette

grekko
09-01-2011, 01:19 AM
What Toxteth resident wrote this:

When your mother has grown older,
When her dear, faithful eyes
No longer see life as they once did,
When her feet, grown tired,
No longer want to carry her as she walks,
Then lend her your arm in support, escort her with happy pleasure—
the hour will come when, weeping, you must accompany her on her final walk.

And if she asks you something, then give her an answer.
And if she asks again, then speak!
And if she asks yet again, respond to her, not impatiently, but with gentle calm.

And if she cannot understand you properly, explain all to her happily.
The hour will come, the bitter hour, when her mouth asks for nothing more.

julieoapw
09-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Adolf?

grekko
09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Adolf?

I couldn't believe it when I read of him having supposedly written it and had it printed in Sonntag-Morgenpost on 14 May 1933. Ghost written propoganda to portray a loving, caring man maybe?

Spider-Man
09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I couldn't believe it when I read of him having supposedly written it and had it printed in Sonntag-Morgenpost on 14 May 1933. Ghost written propoganda to portray a loving, caring man maybe?

Really? Der Fuhrer lived in Liverpool? :shock:

grekko
09-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Really? Der Fuhrer lived in Liverpool? :shock:

So his sister-in-law Bridget Hitler, married to Alois Hitler, claimed:
William Patrick Hitler was born in Liverpool, the son of Alois Hitler Jr., and his Irish-born wife Bridget Dowling. They had met in Dublin when Alois was living there in 1909 and got married in Marylebone, they then moved back north, to Liverpool where William was born in 1911. Hitler's nephew is recalled by elderly former neighbours, and in Liverpool folklore variously as "Billy" or "Paddy" Hitler. The family lived in a flat at 102 Upper Stanhope Street, which was destroyed in the last German air raid of the Liverpool Blitz on January 10, 1942. It remained a bomb site for many years, but has now been rebuilt and landscaped. Dowling wrote a manuscript called My Brother-in-Law Adolf, in which she says Adolf Hitler had moved to Liverpool with her and Alois from November 1912 to April 1913, in order to dodge conscription .

julieoapw
09-01-2011, 01:24 PM
The claim is,to say the least, distinctly dubious Spiderman. Historians have found no evidence of it. The only "evidence" is Bridget's book. This is the 2nd book she wrote on the subject: in the 1st she made no mention of Adolf's visit. Possibly money was tighter when she wrote the 2nd? Although places like the Adelphi will tell you Hitler worked in their kitchen, they never provide any proof whatsoever. It's a local legend.

Spider-Man
09-01-2011, 05:56 PM
The claim is,to say the least, distinctly dubious Spiderman. Historians have found no evidence of it. The only "evidence" is Bridget's book. This is the 2nd book she wrote on the subject: in the 1st she made no mention of Adolf's visit. Possibly money was tighter when she wrote the 2nd? Although places like the Adelphi will tell you Hitler worked in their kitchen, they never provide any proof whatsoever. It's a local legend.

Thanks Grekko and Julie. But his brother did live in Liverpool? That is amazing. I suppose they could have renamed it the Adolphi if he worked there :slywink:

julieoapw
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
The Adolphi - I like it!

Yes, it is a matter of historic record that his half-brother Alois, lived in Upper Stanhope St. They shared the same father. Alois was by his 2nd wife and Adolf by his 3rd wife.
You might care to read more here:
http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/mrlhp/local/hitlerinliverpool/hitlerinliverpool.htm

ChrisGeorge
09-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Evidently, the only bit of Adolph that ever visited Liverpool were the bombs the Luftwaffe dropped. :PDT_Xtremez_42:

julieoapw
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
and those Luftwaffe bombs bombed Alois' former house to smithereens! Yet left the synagogue at the end of the road untouched!

Spider-Man
09-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Ha ha! So the Jews had the last laugh:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

goldenface
09-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Another famous resident worth adding is Margaret Simey who lived in Blackburn Terrace for years and was famous for her run ins with Mrs Thatcher and for being outspoken against the establishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Simey

More here (http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_headline=friends-and-family-say-a-last-farewell-to-people-s-champion%26method=full%26objectid=14647700%26page= 1%26siteid=50061-name_page.html)

John Doh
09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
John Brodie, city engineer in the early 1900s has a Blue Plaque erected to him in Ullet Road.

Aside from having invented the goal net in football, he made major contributions to improving roads in the area, including the provision of ring roads and the East Lancs road and the design of Liverpool's electric tram scheme.

BTW, I notice that the borders of Toxteth have been allowed to stray even wider than usual in this Thread, as well as a certain vagueness in how we define where someone is 'from'. Aside from qualification by birth, how long does someone have to have lived there to be counted?

ItsaZappathing
09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks Grekko and Julie. But his brother did live in Liverpool? That is amazing. I suppose they could have renamed it the Adolphi if he worked there :slywink:

Very good Spidey. Good posts all.:handclap:

Spider-Man
09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Very good Spidey. Good posts all.:handclap:

Thanks Zap:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

essexscouse
09-02-2011, 11:24 PM
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:handclap:

John Doh
09-03-2011, 01:44 PM
You've omitted an 'e'. - Such modesty!

grekko
09-03-2011, 05:39 PM
They've pulled my old house down , so no Blue Plaque:cry:

Terry Kavanagh
10-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Heavyweight boxer Billy Aird was from Edge Hill and later went to live in Toxteth. He fought for the European and British heavyweight championships. Terry Kavanagh

Tom"O"
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Helen Forrest ? living in Canada, Lived in Roseberry St (Princes Park side of Toxteth) author of many Liverpool related books 'Penny Across the Mersey'

Rhoobarb
10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Akinwale Arobieke

AngelCake
10-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Akinwale Arobieke

I think he belongs in an "infamous" thread:exclaim:

Doris Mousdale
10-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Helen Forrester , also Linda Grant author she lived round Princes Park.I know they all moved elsewhere but Adrian Henri lived in Mount St, Roger McGough lived in Huskisson St as did Quentin Hughes ( author of Seaport) Sam Walsh painter lived in Huskisson St
Helen Forrest ? living in Canada, Lived in Roseberry St (Princes Park side of Toxteth) author of many Liverpool related books 'Penny Across the Mersey'

ChrisGeorge
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Not so famous maybe but I just came across this genealogical site (http://www.agelastos.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I993&tree=agelasto)--

Nicholas George Paspati (1815-1895), Liverpool Merchant, born Chios, Greece, died on 23 September 1895 at Hellas House, 3 Devonshire Road, Princes Park, Liverpool, England, buried in Smithdown Lane (Toxteth Park?) Cemetery.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Helen Forrester , also Linda Grant author she lived round Princes Park.I know they all moved elsewhere but Adrian Henri lived in Mount St, Roger McGough lived in Huskisson St as did Quentin Hughes ( author of Seaport) Sam Walsh painter lived in Huskisson St

As noted on another thread, Helen Forrester (http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?62520-Helen-Forrester) passed away on November 29.

jobern20
02-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Hilda Ogden (Jean Alexander) from Corrie. My cousin lived in the house that Jean Alexander was born in.

Oudeis
02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Cousin Murial, Jo? ;)

jobern20
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM

---------------------------

Helen Forrester was the pen name of June Bhatia (née Huband) (6 June 1919 – 24 November 2011) died in Canada