PDA

View Full Version : The Central Docks Masterplan

Paul D
09-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Peel plan to build city dock towers

LIVERPOOL'S derelict Central Docks is to be developed with skyscrapers to mirror the Manhattan skyline proposed for Wirral.

The Daily Post can reveal that senior executives from Peel Holdings have already shown their vision for Liverpool's waterfront to council leader Cllr Warren Bradley and chief executive Colin Hilton.

The aim by Peel, owners of the docks as well as Liverpool John Lennon Airport, is to create a stunning high-rise waterfront gateway on both sides of the Mersey.

Buildings of up to 50-storeys high will be a dominant feature of the waterfront, stretching from Central Docks towards Princes Dock, which is also part of the Peel land ownership.

Peel's master plan for Central Docks is expected to be presented to city councillors within weeks. Then the public will be given a chance to the vision for the waterfront for themselves.

On Tuesday, the privately owned company announced details of its £4.5bn plan to create a mini-Manhattan based on Birkenhead Docks to be known as Wirral Waters. Few people realised that, behind the scenes, Peel's director of development, Lindsey Ashworth, had already created a wider master plan embracing both sides of the river.

Last night, Mr Ashworth said: "We are trying to do something spectacular on both sides of the river. Our aim is to develop the Wirral and Liverpool waterfronts simultaneously.

"The schemes we have in mind for Central and Princes will be on a similar level to what we propose in Wirral.

"We want to create clusters of skyscrapers on both sides of the river. That will ensure the Mersey as a waterfront is up there with the very best in the world.

"Until recently, Liverpool had a provisional policy of high-rise buildings, but things have changed. We see skyscrapers as making a bold statement about an area.

"When I first visited Central Docks, I was amazed at its dereliction and the fact that it is just not being used.

"But the site is outstanding and it beggars belief that nothing has happened on the site. It was easier for us to unveil our plans for Wirral first, but our ambitions for Liverpool are not far behind. We are talking about initiatives that can take as long as 30 years to come to fruition. Our wide masterplan takes account of a long timescale and making the most of the waterfronts."

New buildings proposed for Princes Dock are likely to be taller than originally envisaged, as part of the evolving skyscraper strategy for the waterfront.

Last night, city council leader Cllr Warren Bradley said: "I want to see a European-style scheme along the waterfront and I am impressed by what Peel is talking about. The Central and North docks areas are a huge development site and we are talking about a massive project for Liverpool.

"John Whittaker (chairman of Peel) has a reputation for delivering, and I am looking forward to seeing the master plan for this side of the river.

"Liverpool City Council will make sure the facilities are in place to ensure this scheme moved forward. I view Peel as a perfect partner in a regeneration strategy."

Waterways
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Peel plan to build city dock towers

LIVERPOOL'S derelict Central Docks is to be developed with skyscrapers to mirror the Manhattan skyline proposed for Wirral.

We await the proposal. What the city needs is a framework with cast in concrete points such no filling in of waterways (amending quays to suit is fine as at Wirral waters), and guidline points. They must also adhere to the UNESCO Worl Heritage Points to the letter and exceed the requirement.

"Liverpool City Council will make sure the facilities are in place to ensure this scheme moved forward. I view Peel as a perfect partner in a regeneration strategy."

A much welcomed move by Peel. I fear the council may sell us down the river. Beware of glitz and look under the surface when it comes.

kenotoole123@msn.com
09-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I hear it's all on the 'Proviso'....The name is changed to 'LIVERPEEL'...:unibrow:

Kev
09-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I was only thinking last night that we should have something as good this side.....hope we see the plans soon :)

Paul D
09-07-2006, 05:30 PM

Warren Bradley is so positive I think he's going to back this to the hilt,I think we're witnessing Liverpool's rise into the super league of World cities it'll probably happen long after we're gone but to watch it happen will be amazing.I'm really looking forward to seeing the masterplan and what those 50 storey towers may look like.:celb (23):

bazzacat
09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I also look forward to the plan. However, dont you think there may well be something of a glut of office space and apartments? I sincerely hope the plans come to something, but they have to make economic sense!

Paul D
09-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I also look forward to the plan. However, dont you think there may well be something of a glut of office space and apartments? I sincerely hope the plans come to something, but they have to make economic sense!

I have thought about that and I have no answers but I did notice Peel said that these buildings would be affordable and the way prices have gone these days that probably still makes them expensive to make this all viable,but the Wirral Waters scheme would be built in 4 phases and if they built the retail first with a couple of towers and they were reasonably priced who wouldn't want to live there? There wouldn't just be all of these towers built at once remember it's a 30 year vision and the more our city regenerates the more people will want to live here,people can't afford to live in towns and villages all over the country because of the extortonate prices and to them we are relitively cheap so I reckon this can work.I think iI'll try and keep a lid on my excitement until individual buildings start to go into planning but until then I'm going to enjoy the moment.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Harry
09-08-2006, 12:12 PM
It is reckoned that at any one time in a city like New York or Chicago that about one third of the office space is vacant.
This doesn't stop them building new towers all the time though.

Paul D
09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Peel steps up docks project
Published on Jul 13 2006 PEEL Holdings, owner of the Mersey Docks & Harbour Company, has started consolidating its landholdings in the Central Docks area of North Liverpool.

Peel acquired MDHC for £771m late last year and with the operations of the Port of Liverpool took on its 2,000-acre property estate, 300 acres of it available for development.

The Salford-based developer is now in the process of acquiring land outside of MDHC ownership to link up the area for comprehensive redevelopment.

At 70 acres Central Docks is seen as the linchpin in the MDHC development portfolio: it has outline planning permission for 300,000 sq ft of offices and industrial space, 2,000 homes, shops, pubs, restaurants and a marina.

It is understood Peel has approached Kitgrove, the subsidiary of Richcliff which owns Stanley Dock, the problematic 12-acre site in the heart of the area. Stanley Dock contains the 1m sq ft Tobacco Warehouse, and two smaller warehouses to the north and south.

The interior darkness and low ceilings make conversion of the Tobacco Ware-house impossible without vast public subsidy. Peel and Kitgrove declined to comment.

I hope this is fairly recent that building is fantastic. :)

Kev
09-08-2006, 04:29 PM
That building must be preserved and used, not demolished.

Waterways
09-08-2006, 05:01 PM

It is listed by the UK government and under UNESCO World Heritage Status.

kenotoole123@msn.com
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
To me,it would be fantastic if 'Peel' could incorporate into their 'Plans' the main contendors in the 'Fourth Grace Competition' (The Race that never Was !!!!) ie.The 'Cullinan'/'Rogers' & 'Foster' building plans...they were superb plans/buildings....Not!! the 'Cloud'....All three of those buildings would fit in superbly!!!:slywink:

Paul D
09-08-2006, 05:33 PM

There's no way they'll be able to knock that down that's why they got it protected under WHS I think Peel may work as a partner with Kitgrove and somehow develop it,it's better than the Albert Dock IMO.

twiz
10-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Look in the original post, it said the plans would be unveiled to the public

within weeks, how many weeks?! :rolleyes:

It's been a while now, I really can't wait to see what they come up with, and if this and wirral waters

materialise over the next 30 years it will put Liverpool in the top if not at the top of Europe.

Paul D
10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
I can't wait either they'll probably release them in the new year though.:neutral:

Waterways
10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Look in the original post, it said the

plans would be unveiled to the public within weeks, how many weeks?! :rolleyes:

They wanted the West Waterloo Dock filled in. They lost

that. So, they nmay have to amend their plans.

It's been a while now, I really can't wait to see what they come up with, and if this

and wirral waters materialise over the next 30 years it will put Liverpool in the top if not at the top of Europe.

It will be poor no

matter what. Trafalgar Dock has to eb excavated to have any impact on any developement on that site. I fear the fools in the council will give Peel their

way, as usual, and allow them to build a shed warehouse bowling alley on it.

Another opportunity lost.

twiz
10-19-2006, 08:42 PM
What? Peel have already stated there will be world class 50+ storey towers on this site, no bowling

alley shed.

Waterways
10-19-2006, 09:51 PM
What? Peel have already stated there will be world

class 50+ storey towers on this site, no bowling alley shed.

50 floors? Better they look at the World Heritage Agreement.

Waterways
10-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Peel Holdings have said they will announce on the Wirral in the New Year the plans for Central Dock

in a big splash on the Cnetral Docks and Wirral Waters

Paul D
01-05-2007, 03:48 PM
It is understood Peel has approached Kitgrove, the subsidiary of Richcliff which owns Stanley Dock, the problematic 12-acre site in the heart of the area. Stanley Dock contains the 1m sq ft Tobacco Warehouse, and two smaller warehouses to the north and south.

The interior darkness and low ceilings make conversion of the Tobacco Ware-house impossible without vast public subsidy. Peel and Kitgrove declined to comment.

Peel will deliver a visionary development plan to councillors for Central Docks within two months, mirroring its exciting £4.5bn scheme for Wirral Waters on the opposite bank of the Mersey.

And their proposals are expected to galvanise Stanley Dock owner, Epsom-based Kitgrove, which is working on revised proposals for the northern Tobacco Warehouse that already has planning permission for hundreds of new flats.

Full story here.
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/thebusinessweek/regionalnews/tm_headline=ripple-effect-of-peel-plans%26method=full%26objectid=18397916%26siteid=5 0061-name_page.html

scouserdave
02-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Had a mooch around here last week.
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image001.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image002.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image003.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image004.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image005.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image006.jpg

scouserdave
02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Here's another showing Liverpool's new skyline in the background

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/central/image007.jpg

snappel
02-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Nice photos! I love it round there, it's just quietly derelict and peaceful...

Paul D
02-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Hopefully not for long though,we need this to kickstart the regeneration of the whole dock road area.

How big is this place? it's hard to tell sometimes when you've only ever been on the other side of the wall.

scouserdave
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree. I've sat next to the Victoria Tower with my flask of coffee many a time. Spent hours there on occasions. My favourite part of Liverpool. The West Bramley Moore Dock warehouse is becoming dangerous to walk through nowadays. A piece of metal from the roof fell on to the floor when I was in there. Scared the bejeezes out of me.

Ged
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Great photies as ever Dave. How do YOU get in there, is it just barefaced cheek. I might get meself a hard hat, hi viz jacket and a clipboard and just try it lol.

ChrisGeorge
02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Excellent photographs, Dave!

Chris

snappel
02-06-2007, 05:40 PM
You'd be amazed at what you can see with that kind of kit ;) Although it's mighty embarassing when you get sussed!! :(

scouserdave
02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Great photies as ever Dave. How do YOU get in there, is it just barefaced cheek. I might get meself a hard hat, hi viz jacket and a clipboard and just try it lol.
Thanks folks:)

Ged it does help if your wear a hard hat, hi viz and a pair of steel toeys:unibrow:
http://www.londonpictorial.co.uk/emirates11/images/image003.jpg

Ged
02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Just say to your brother, look if anyone rings you, say you're health and safety spot check department. Then if sussed, give em' your brother's number and say we don't send letters in advance, it's to catch you out now shut up. :rolleyes:

Paul D
03-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Media Invitation

11:00am Tuesday 6th March 2007
Left Reception Room, Liverpool Town Hall,

Peel unveil plans for £5.5 billion development to transform the Liverpool Waterfront

Peel will be revealing full details of their plans to create a magnificent £5.5 billion waterside redevelopment scheme along the Liverpool Waterfront. The visionary scheme will see Liverpool become one side of the ocean gateway to the North West, an international waterside destination to rival cities such as Dubai, Vancouver, New York and Shanghai.

Lindsey Ashworth, Development Director of Peel will give a visual presentation which will include a spectacular fly through movie followed by the unveiling of artists impressions and an illuminated model that shows how the 150 acre, 21 million square foot (1.9 million square metre) development will look.

This, together with the Wirral Waters proposals on the opposite side of the River Mersey brings the total investment by Peel in creating these two spectacular waterfronts to £10 billion. It will be the largest investment of this type in the North West for over a century.

Read this and work your way back people,this is unbelievable.:eek: :D

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=442167&page=4

scouserdave
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Great news Paul. Hoping to be at the Town Hall presentation next week. The monorail from the airport to downtown is an exciting project. Fingers crossed eh? I can't see it all being completed in 5 years though!

Fun times ahead:)

Kev
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
“This is what the future of our city is all about. It will be colossal.” - warren bradley

the biggest project in the nw :PDT11 Liverpool Chamber of Commerce chairman David Wade-Smith has called for Peel to copy sister-city Shanghai and complete the bulk of the transformation within five years.

Louis
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
this is extremely exciting and im looking forward to seeing the plans, i hope there are no objections because this is what liverpool needs:)

scouserdave
03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
I had a whisper about it at the beginning of this month which is why I registered www.centraldocks.co.uk on 4th Feb. However, the monorail came as a surprise. Peel are really being skimpy with their invites to the presentation. So far, the only person on the Echo who has an invite is Neil Hodgson.

Paul D
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
- warren bradley

the biggest project in the nw :PDT11 Liverpool Chamber of Commerce chairman David Wade-Smith has called for Peel to copy sister-city Shanghai and complete the bulk of the transformation within five years.

The timeframe is between 30/40 years but Peel said they are keen to get on site asap and start work on the waters edge at first and then build inland.I don't care how long it takes personally as long as Liverpool puts lesser cities in their place.

Kev
03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
I'll be in my 70's then :PDT_Xtremez_42: :shock:

Paul D
03-02-2007, 03:58 PM

So will I but it will be great knowing Liverpool will have found its place as a true International city on a World stage again.:p

Kev
03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
'supose it'll be great for our kids eh?!

Paul D
03-02-2007, 04:21 PM
'supose it'll be great for our kids eh?!

We'll get the benefits from a lot of the scheme but our kids will reap the benefits of it which is alright by me.Just knowing Liverpool is on the up makes me feel good in itself so at the moment i'm like a pig in sh*t.:D

kenotoole123@msn.com
03-03-2007, 03:59 AM
I'll be 120.....but I don't mind !!!:rolleyes:

Kev
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
THE elevated monorail proposed by Peel as part of its £5.5bn development of Liverpool’s Central Docks can act as a 21st-century Overhead Railway, it was claimed last night. more (http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpooldailypost/news/regionalnews/tm_headline=monorail-project-could-be-a-21st%2Dcentury-version-of-overhead-railway%26method=full%26objectid=18708392%26siteid =50061-name_page.html)

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Kev, the monorail will never happen from what I've heard. It's just one of those headline grabbing stories. Peel and the Council haven't even discussed the route!
Be great to be proven wrong though!:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Kev
03-06-2007, 09:22 AM
According to RAdio City this morning, the amount being invested in the site is 5 million pounds not billion:034:

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 10:02 AM
According to RAdio City this morning, the amount being invested in the site is 5 million pounds not billion:034:
LOL! Probably some nobrainer chimp presenter, literally reading off a script with a typo error.

Deffo £5+ billion.

AK1
03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
The fly-through will be available to watch from noon today on the daily post website. I'm not sure when the official website will be up and running.

Max
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/news/echonews/tm_headline=the-%2Dpound%2D5%2D5bn-plan-which-is-set-to-transform-docks%26method=full%26objectid=18713805%26siteid=5 0061-name_page.html

I'll be dead before I see this or reincarnated as someone else.http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Kev
03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/mar2007/2/7/274E4617-982C-4826-0B064D26219ECF63.jpg

:PDT_Xtremez_42: :shock:

CLICK HERE (http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/icliverpool/CentralDocks.wmv)

Paul D
03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
The heritage lobby aren't going to like this,we must remain firmly in the past.It's absolutely amazing isn't it? I want to see planning applications going in before I get too excited though.

Kev
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
i wonder if granada tv will cover it with enthusiasm

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 03:16 PM
OMG!
I may be an old cynic, but that video is amazing. The last bit with the monorail almost brought a tear to my eye. If only.....

Paul D
03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Doug Roberts was at the presentation today and has provided a few pictures on here.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=12036357#post12036357

Max
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Would be great for Liverpool to look like that.

We'd all have a field day with the Cameras If the dock area already did look like that.

Paul D
03-06-2007, 03:36 PM
i wonder if granada tv will cover it with enthusiasm

It was the 2nd story they covered,loads of comments like most of us will never see it built etc,they were refering to its timescale.They're bitter and can't take it when Liverpool shows that they can propel themselves back on to the World stage and they're completely powerless at preventing it.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Max
03-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Wonder how long It would take to complete though.

Even reincarnated I might not be Scouser again!:eek:

stan
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Bit mad that wasn't it?
Those wind turbines in the top of those buildings were a good idea though.
Also,it was good to see not one hooded gob****e walking round or anyone with one of those hats with the ear flaps turned up.

stan
03-06-2007, 03:48 PM
It was the 2nd story they covered,loads of comments like most of us will never see it built etc,they were refering to its timescale.They're bitter and can't take it when Liverpool shows that they can propel themselves back on to the World stage and they're completely powerless at preventing it.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Tony "Anthony H" Wilson would be quiet.

Max
03-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Even worse I'll be In my 60's late 50's.

I'm already senile, you don't need a senile 60 year old Max.:( :(

I did watched body building pensioners on BBC a few days ago so I could still be In shape at least.

snappel
03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
or anyone with one of those hats with the ear flaps turned up.Yeah, what are they about? What happened to individuality? Are today's scallies born with black NorthFace jackets on?

AK1
03-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Three words: OMG. This is truly amazing. We must all get behind this and support it all the way. This will propel Liverpool into a different league. So what if it takes 30-40 years to complete, remember some buildings will be complete long before then and Peel did say they will build from the river inwards.
It's great to see the Stanley Dock warehouse and the clock tower will remain. I suppose there will be a few organisations who will moan, but you always get that with every project. I like the fact that it is well away from any buildings like the three graces etc. We will have an old town and a new town like alot of other cities. Imagine travelling up the mersey on a cruise ship going past all the amazing skyscrapers and then going past the 'older' Liverpool with the graces and the Albert Dock etc.
Liverpool needs and wants this. Life for everyone will get better and Liverpool will be way ahead of cities like Manchester and Birmingham. It's great to see that the council are backing it, but my only concern is EH. We must stand firm and not let the minority destroy it for us all .:034:

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I wish Liverpool's waterfront looked like this:PDT11

http://www.catnip.co.uk/wallpaper/bund800x600.jpg

stan
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Shanghai?

Ste Birmingham
03-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Why do tall buildings make people happy? The Skyscraper City (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=380) crowd salivate over each and every construction photograph. It doesn't matter if the sky is overcast and it's raining hard, just so long as there is a tall building in the picture -- whooaaa. A lot of people will be dead by the time this most recent proposal is completed.

Kev
03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif Liverpool has a beautiful shoreline, but it is not big enough, not tall enough and not great enough http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif- Lindsey Ashworth
The Peel Group

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Shanghai?
Yep. The Bund:PDT11

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Why do tall buildings make people happy? The Skyscraper City (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=380) crowd salivate over each and every construction photograph. It doesn't matter if the sky is overcast and it's raining hard, just so long as there is a tall building in the picture -- whooaaa. A lot of people will be dead by the time this most recent proposal is completed.
Question should be - why do the guys on Skyscrapercity take such mediocre pics of Liverpool's new developments? - quite ironic when you think about it. LOL!

Howie
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Shanghai?

In Shanghai isn't the older architecture on one side of the river and the modern on the other? To follow their example shouldn't this project be on the Birkenhead side?

Louis
03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
it looks fantastic, cant wait to see this being built!!!

scouserdave
03-06-2007, 05:49 PM
In Shanghai isn't the older architecture on one side of the river and the modern on the other?
No it isn't

Andy Bonner
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Oh for pity's sake. Here's what we actually said:

Details of a multi-billion pound plan to redevelop derelict dockland in Liverpool have been unveiled to the public. The company behind the Trafford Centre, John Lennon Airport and Salford Quays now wants to transform the Mersey waterfront into a rival for cities like New York, Vancouver and Shanghai. Andy Bonner reports...

A vision of the future.
Welcome to Liverpool Waters - a plan to turn derelict land in Liverpool into an international waterside destination.
(clip from peel)
Peel says the 21 million square foot scheme would create 17 thousand new full-time jobs and increase Liverpool's population by 50 thousand.
Developers argue a monorail, marinas and a new cruise liner terminal would compliment existing dock heritage like Jesse Hartley's clock tower.
It certainly is an ambitious scheme: A 50 year project to transform 150 acres of derelict land in to homes, offices and hotels.
But this is just a vision.
Peel warn if they don't get support, they'll take their investment elsewhere.

That's a fair and balanced report of what was said in the press conference this morning. I am certainly not bitter or anti-Liverpool. But if you can point me to where we said it would never happen, I'll gladly concede your point. :handclap:

Paul D
03-06-2007, 06:20 PM
It's the way things are said(by Gordon Burns on the BBC) like most of us wont be alive when it's built,(that's goes without saying)also going off subject the Thierry Henry rumour and Liverpool FC which ended in "canned laughter" (on Granada News) the other week like why would he want to sign for them etc,it always happens.If Manchester showcased Liverpool like it should be it would make Manchester look very average,have a look at the beautiful pictures of our coastline showing some fantastic beaches and ask yourself why these never feature on your programme? some of the best sunsets in the World can be see here and you never cover it,if they were in Manchester we'd see it every Summer without fail.This was not a second story surely you can see that but hey it was earlier.

AK1
03-06-2007, 06:31 PM

In alot of ways our waterfront does look like this. Remember, the architect who designed alot of our architecture also designed alot of the buildings in Shanghai. It is important to remember that Liverpool's waterfront was full of victorian architecture until a little thing called WW2 came along and obliterated most of it.:shock:

AK1
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif Liverpool has a beautiful shoreline, but it is not big enough, not tall enough and not great enough http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif- Lindsey Ashworth
The Peel Group

Does this mean that with their development, our shoreline will become great enough? Is that what she meant when she said this?

Paul D
03-06-2007, 06:37 PM
That's a fair and balanced report of what was said in the press conference this morning. I am certainly not bitter or anti-Liverpool. But if you can point me to where we said it would never happen, I'll gladly concede your point.

That is a fair report but it was just a case of and by the way in Liverpool type scenario on the BBC.You have to report this it's unavoidable so that's why we get a good report.If it can be overlooked it will and I'll give you an example soon when it happens again.Here's one Jerimiah Horrocks the father of British astronomy was first to witness the transit of Venus,when it happened again the other year never once did it mention he was a scouser,but they mentioned his mate from Salford who jointly witnessed it because he was sent a letter by Jerimiah telling him where to look,see what I mean? If he was a manc everyone who hear about it.

Paul D
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Does this mean that with their development, our shoreline will become great enough?

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/7465/lwfc1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Only if we have the courage to think big enough.

AK1
03-06-2007, 06:46 PM
We must be bold and ambitious. We won't get anywhere pus#y-footing around. This is a golden opportunity for Liverpool to finally shake off the negative image many people still have. People will have to take us seriously. We know that Liverpool is unique and far better than alot of other cities, but people from other places don't, we have to make them listen.:)

wallasey
03-07-2007, 11:30 PM
I might be one of the minority which has some reservations about this scheme. For one, I think it is going to look a little daft when finally completed as we are going to have 50 floor buildings towering above the low density surroundings of Vauxhall Road and Scottie. The site doesn't exactly go very far inland, nor do the buildings gradually fall back into the low rise estates. They just stand out like a sore thumb.

The same goes for Wirral Waters but that's another thread.

Liverpool Water's is a fantastic idea, however, I just have a few concerns about building density and making it look right. Think about it like this. Stand at the top of Great Mersey Street outside of Stanley Bar and look down to the central docks. Around you will be housing of normal proportions running down the hill to the canal. Now imagine the same scene but with 50 story blocks towering over you. I would hate to be in the Eldonian Village!

Sloyne
03-08-2007, 01:55 AM
In Shanghai isn't the older architecture on one side of the river and the modern on the other?Yes, the picture above depicts the Bund side of the Huangpu River and the ultra modern architecture faces it on Pudong side of the Pu. Pudong is part of Shanghai every bit as much as the Bund is, Birkenhead is not part of Liverpool.:)

Just a bit of info; The building that resembles the Royal Liver was the Shanghai Customs House and the building that resembles the Port of Liverpool building was the headquarters of the Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank (HSBC) founded by a Scouser, John Swire who commissioned the building and founded the Swire Group which includes, as well as the HSBC, Cathay Pacific Airlines. For a Scouser, approaching Shanghai on the Pu on a misty morning can send shivers up your spine.

Ste Birmingham
03-08-2007, 04:11 AM
AK1: This is a golden opportunity for Liverpool to finally shake off the negative image many people still have.

Only if the designers achieve near-perfect harmony -- otherwise, we risk looking rather silly and people will continue to frown at us.

The power of tall buildings. If Adolf Hitler only knew.

:rolleyes:

Ged
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Well Mr Peel holdings said it all 'i've never had a planning application knocked back yet, i'll invite Liverpool to become my first' - Knowing our council, he might be right but I hope he's wrong. It's all their money, they own the land, they're going to be sympathetic to what's already there and just build on derelict acres where the past use has gone so what have we got to lose but everything to gain.

Max
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM

That clock towers more lit up than our Liver Building anyway.

Wish our Liver Building was more lit up, It's ****e for night pics otherwise.:Smiliz_Kingz_PDT_13

scouserdave
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
It was lit up enough when I took this shot:unibrow:

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverclock.jpg

Max
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
It Is at the top of the building but at the bottom of the Liver Building It's not.

I wouldn't mind going up that building on Water St you went up, where do you get In?

scouserdave
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
It Is at the top of the building but at the bottom of the Liver Building It's not.

I wouldn't mind going up that building on Water St you went up, where do you get In?
You must have visited there on a bad day. It's a bit like the Anglican Cathedral. There were a couple on nights last month when the lights weren't switched on at all.

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverclock002.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverclock003.jpg

Paul D
03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
There are no words to describe just how good the Liver Building picture is.:handclap:

Kev
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
SPECTACULAR plans to transform the Mersey waterfront with gleaming skyscrapers have been backed by city leaders. more (http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/news/echonews/tm_headline=%2Dpound%2D5bn-dream-is-a-city-winner%26method=full%26objectid=18722537%26siteid= 50061-name_page.html)

Paul D
03-10-2007, 01:31 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9122/watersmodelnd7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This is a picture of Peels model that was on display when the plans were released to the public,we can only hope this happens.

Picture courtesy od Doug Roberts.

Paul D
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/527/3d01pc5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9315/3d02kq2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/936/3d03cq4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5268/3d04ei8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here's a superimposed version.:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7038/super01mv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here's where they're taken from if you want to have a browse.:snf (41):
http://www.liverpoolwaters.co.uk/

JRC
03-13-2007, 04:06 PM
In alot of ways our waterfront does look like this. Remember, the architect who designed alot of our architecture also designed alot of the buildings in Shanghai. It is important to remember that Liverpool's waterfront was full of victorian architecture until a little thing called WW2 came along and obliterated most of it.:shock:

I was there last year, and showed my local colleagues some Pier Head pictures and they were amazed at how it looked. They have since been over here and went out of the way to take pics of the Pier Head themselves.

TBH, just by where that picture was taken from was some pretty grotty stock in either disrepair or partial demolition; but Pudong over the water is an amazing sight - would that we can produce anything remotey similar.

stan
03-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Is there still no word as to what to do with the tobacco warehouse?

AK1
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Is there still no word as to what to do with the tobacco warehouse?

There was plan a while ago to renovate it and turn it into apartments and shops etc. Does Peel own it?

stan
03-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Apparently,the ceilings are too low there to convert into apartments or shops.

kenotoole123@msn.com
03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
How about converting it into a 'Hotel' for people of limited stature.....Run by people of limited stature !!!.....Now that would be a 'First':)

stan
03-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Or people who like to crawl.....

Paul D
03-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Does Peel own it?

A company called Kitgrove own it,I think Peel will be working with them in the future though,I like it better than the Albert Dock it's an unbelievable structure.

scouserdave
03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
The inset pic shows where I took the shot for the main pic. Interesting times ahead folks!:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/centralfeb1.jpg

Max
03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
You must have visited there on a bad day. It's a bit like the Anglican Cathedral. There were a couple on nights last month when the lights weren't switched on at all.

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverclock002.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverclock003.jpg

I've went a few times and It was still too dark. Probably too late to have another go now that their building the canal.

RoddersUK
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
New images of Liverpool Waters have been released here.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=1016

Kev
04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Many thanks for the update :unibrow:

Paul D
07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Shanghai Tower.
Peel unveil plans for
the North West’s tallest building
at Liverpool Waters

Peel, the developers behind the £10 billion Liverpool Waters and Wirral Waters schemes today announced that they are planning to build the North West’s tallest building fronting the River Mersey with the development of a landmark 60 storey tower that will be built in Liverpool’s Princes Half Tide Dock.

The Liverpool and Wirral waterfront developments are one of the biggest regeneration schemes in the U.K. and Peel’s vision will see both these waterfronts developed to rival cities such as Dubai, Vancouver, New York and Shanghai.

This iconic tower will be designed by one of four world class architects who will be selected following a competition to ensure the structure acts as a catalyst for the regeneration of Liverpool Waters, North Shore and beyond as well as creating a unique opportunity for the people of Liverpool.

Surrounded by water, the location of the tower presents exciting challenges for the architects who have massive scope for innovative design, something befitting for such a wonderful world recognised location is required. The designs will be unveiled to the public later this year, before a final concept is chosen.
The selected architects are – AFL, Broadway Malyan, Chapman Taylor and Benoy.

The tower will be named “Shanghai Tower” following an inspirational visit to this great Chinese City by Peel’s Development Director Lindsey Ashworth, and Chairman John Whittaker.

Liverpool has many links with China including boasting the oldest Chinese community in Europe. Twinned with Shanghai, and inspired by the bustling waterfront that combines modern skyscrapers with historic buildings, it is envisaged that Shanghai Tower will further strengthen Liverpool’s link with China as well as bringing a huge boost to the Liverpool economy.

The Liverpool Shanghai Partnership said, “This iconic building will place the Liverpool-Shanghai bilateral relations on a level commensurate with the greatness of the two cities. The Liverpool Shanghai Partnership (LSP) is delighted with this outcome from the visit. It is a great success. The Shanghai government have told us they are impressed with these plans and it will result in massive interest from big Chinese companies in using Liverpool as a gateway to the UK and Europe.”

The North West’s tallest tower and the tallest outside of London, will bring Liverpool its first 5 star hotel as part of a massive 93,000 square metres of mixed use floor space, that’s 1 million square feet of development. Along with the hotel, that will be operated by one of the World’s biggest and prestigious names in luxury accommodation, the tower will have high quality office space and beautiful apartments that will offer some of the best views in the Country. Bars, restaurants and many other leisure facilities will also be included to provide something for everybody. Featuring the very latest in architectural design, Shanghai Tower will also boast a heli-pad on the roof of the building and underwater basement car parking.

Mark Basnett, Operations Director at economic development and inward investment agency The Mersey Partnership (TMP), took part in the recent trade mission to Shanghai. He said, “Plans for the Shanghai Tower reinforce Liverpool’s reputation as a truly world-class city, whose waterfront is being transformed by major new investments and developments.

“China has one of the world’s fastest growing economies, and the naming of this iconic building will reinforce the continued business and cultural links between Shanghai and our own fast growing city.”

The tower which will be on the Liverpool Waterfront will be an investment in excess of £300 million and will transform the future of the skyline of the City. Well designed and planned tall buildings can make positive contributions to city life and Shanghai Tower will be a magnificent iconic structure that will make a statement about the city’s ambitions and it’s regeneration plans.

Councillor Warren Bradley, City Council Leader, said: “The scale of this scheme shows how Liverpool is now regarded by developers as a city whose ambition knows no bounds. It demonstrates a confidence in the city and is the type of development Liverpool needs to establish its place as an international city.
“It is potentially one of the most exciting schemes in Europe and could further enhance our waterfront. The decision to set the bar high on quality design is important and I welcome the decision by Peel to launch this design competition.
"We are a city which has always looked outwards and sought inspiration from other cities. This proposal reflects the 21st century skyline of Shanghai in a way that will mirror its new and dramatic architecture among the buildings of the Bund which themselves pay homage to our own Three Graces.

“However, this scheme is still at its early stages and I must point out that it will still be subject to the normal planning procedures.”

Peel are in discussions with Liverpool City Council about the impact Shanghai Tower will have on the City and are receiving guidance prior to a planning application being submitted.

Statement by Lindsey Ashworth, Development Director of Peel:

Shanghai Tower - a tall building but not a tall “storey”

The Development Director of Peel Lindsey Ashworth said –

“Myself and the Chairman John Whittaker went to Shanghai a few weeks ago as representatives of the business part of a delegation arranged by Liverpool City Council who are “twinned” with Shanghai and the Liverpool Shanghai Partnership (LSP) which was formed a year ago to develop the bilateral relationship. Peel already has business with Shanghai and China generally with its port operations and supply of goods and materials for its property developments, but we want to expand with and share their growing economy.

Our proposed development schemes Liverpool and Wirral Waters, an investment in excess of £10 Billion, are founded on the concept and vision of clusters of tall buildings in a waterfront environment and setting so it is important that we make the effort to learn from other great cities whose city fathers many years ago chose to pursue a similar strategy.

The Shanghai waterfront was absolutely breathtaking. Never have I seen such an array of beautiful modern buildings that blended in so perfectly with existing historical buildings.
The potential synergy of the location on each side of the Huangpu River in the districts of Huangpu and Lujiazui with Liverpool, Wirral and the River Mersey was amazing.

In Liverpool we have the “Three Graces” facing the Mersey, in Shanghai there must have been at least “Thirty Graces” on the waterfront; beautiful historic buildings set against a backdrop of modern skyscrapers creating a thriving, bustling and vibrant city for commerce, living and tourism.

Having witnessed such a spectacle, I believe the potential for Liverpool’s waterfront is even more enormous than I first thought, not just to enhance the beauty of the Three Graces but to support and add to the existing City centre in terms of all its attractions.

During the course of the week in Shanghai, we were so impressed by the visual appearance of their waterfront and expanding economy and level of business investment taking place there that we decided it was appropriate to make a pledge to the Chinese dignitaries in honor of our visit.
We pledged to construct the tallest building in the North West in our Liverpool Waters scheme and we have named it “Shanghai Tower”.

The association with Shanghai will embrace the existing Liverpool and Shanghai Partnership and give a huge boost to the Liverpool local economy by providing jobs and a whole host of other facilities.

Business will not come to Liverpool on its own initiative, we have to reach out to the international markets and show that we have the capacity, ability and wherewithal to move forward.
Peel is impressed by the new Liverpool regime with its renewed enthusiasm to move forward to ensure prosperity to this great City. It has a “can do” feel about it that shows it is prepared to take some tough decisions to make the vital changes necessary to meet the needs of this century and be a world recognised city from all aspects.

The private sector of course has to play its part and Peel does not fear challenges so we intend to make a visual statement on the waterfront that will show to Shanghai and the rest of the world that we mean business.

Of course Peel’s investment in the North West is not restricted to the redevelopment of these two waterfronts. They form a part of Peel’s wider £50 billion regeneration package that stretches along the entire River Mersey/Ship Canal corridor from our Liverpool and Wirral Waters schemes which we now call the “Ocean Gateway to the North West” to Manchester.
The North West is Peel’s neighbourhood and myself and John Whittaker are local lads trying to invest in it and do something special for the people to be proud of.

Our Shanghai Tower on the front porch of Liverpool will be a visual statement to the rest of the world and say - we are serious players competing for world trade and we are open for new business”.

pasha
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
i have sent an email to peel holdings asking them about (salisbury dock and victoria tower) if they where going to do it up, plus the pier masters house as my ggg granfather and family lived there but iv still not got nothing back off them.
debbie

Waterways
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
i have sent an email to peel holdings asking them about (salisbury dock and victoria tower) if they where going to do it up, plus the pier masters house as my ggg granfather and family lived there but iv still not got nothing back off them.
debbie

I believe they are to be renovated and will be central to the developments.

Kev
04-07-2008, 01:53 PM
PEEL managers have threatened to move the massive £5.5bn Liverpool Waters scheme to Wirral.

The company wants to build a series of skyscrapers by the side of the Mersey, which would give the city a skyline to rival Shanghai.

But development director Lindsey Ashworth said he was so concerned at delays in dealing with Liverpool council, the scheme could cross the river.

Peel, which also owns Liverpool Docks and John Lennon Airport, is already planning a £4.5bn Wirral Waters development.

And Mr Ashworth revealed the scheme was now nine months ahead of the project for the Liverpool side of the Mersey.

The city council said it was in talks with Peel and the plan was still on schedule.

Mr Ashworth said: "Liverpool Waters is not going as fast as we would like it to go.

"It is such a big scheme and has such a big impact on everything in the area.

"We started Liverpool and Wirral at the same time. To be fair to Wirral council they were all onside and that sends a great message out to the rest of the world.

"We have accelerated progress on Wirral but we are not quite there with Liverpool yet.

"We are probably nine months behind and slipping.

"Regeneration has started in Liverpool after 50 years and we have to keep it going. But if the council don’t want it to happen we can take it all to Wirral.

"I don’t want to spend half my life doing something and it achieves nothing at all."

"But we have a phrase at Peel: DPP, which stands for determination, perseverance and patience and we will carry on pushing and pushing."

John Kelly, Liverpool council’s executive director for regeneration, said he and Liverpool Vision chairman Mike Parker met Mr Ashworth.

He said: "We are working very closely with Peel on an agreed schedule. It might be nine months behind Wirral Waters, but is on schedule for what we set out to deliver.

"What is being done on north shore Peel said would take 30 years and two years for them to get their planning arrangements and paper work prepared.

"And we are working with them to ensure that this is a strong partnership to deliver what will be one of the most challenging and exciting programmes of work that the region, if not the UK, has seen."

marky
07-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Bramley Moore Dock: There are notices posted to demolish the Dock Transit Sheds.
Also, last week, the first concrete base was poured for the large wind-turbines along the Docks
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/business-news/2008/04/22/work-under-way-on-new-turbines-100252-20799513/

skgogosfan
10-18-2008, 03:56 AM
That one was retrospective-they're already history. Next victim is going to be the control building and pipeline adjacent to the Tate sugar silo [if approved] for some processing facility,although it's nothing to do with Peel.

Dave.