PDA

View Full Version : Meet Up and Party?

brian daley
06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
This is an open invitation to all you Yo'ers ! Fred Billingsley of the Liverpool pub in James St. has kindly offewred the use of his upstairs bar for our very own get together. He is going to put on a spread for us so there is no need to bring sandwiches. Allwe need to know is how many of you good people are going o be there. It is booked for late afternoon on Wednesday the 8th of July. This has been done so that it does'nt conflict with that other great get together at the Eldonian. If you can let me know by p.m. or call me on07960360253, I'll make sure I can save you a corn beef sandwich. I am so excited at the prospect of meeting some of the names I have read postings from,so please try and come along,it should be a great day!!
Cheers,
BrianD

Kev
06-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the post Brian, I have created a thread all of its own, hopefuly it'll be easier to spot and respond too :)

Kev

captain kong
06-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Yo Brian, we will be there, no probs.
Good to see you back in the land of the bewildered.
Kong

kevin
06-23-2009, 09:16 AM
That's a relief - thought you might go with the other date of July 1st and I couldn't be there. Put me down, Brian. I can have a two-night stay and go and see my Harrison Line cronies in the Crown the next day!

clancy
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
as im brians driver ill have to be there cheers clancy:PDT_Aliboronz_24::PDT_Aliboronz_24::PDT_Ali boronz_24:

kevin
06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
So far, it is me, Clancy and Brian from the Midlands, and Kong from the nether regions of Lancashire. What about those for whom the venue is on their doorstep?

Ged
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Would truly love to as you all seem interesting people, however it's holiday season and bodies are thin on the ground in my workplace at the moment. I'm even having to miss the funeral of my wife's aunt today because I took time out to go to my next door neighbours last week. Weekends though - i'm anybodys :)

kevin
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Would truly love to as you all seem interesting people, however it's holiday season and bodies are thin on the ground in my workplace at the moment. I'm even having to miss the funeral of my wife's aunt today because I took time out to go to my next door neighbours last week. Weekends though - i'm anybodys :)

Ged,
It's late afternoon so I guess it will stray into the evening - can't you make it after work?

Ged
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Will there be any grub left?. I finish in Skem at 6 so i'll do my best. I've got Brian's number, I see it's on this thread too. :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

kevin
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Will there be any grub left?. I finish in Skem at 6 so i'll do my best. I've got Brian's number, I see it's on this thread too. :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

We'll save you a sausage roll. If there aren't any, I'll nip out to Sayers and get you one!

santos
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Brian,

I will do my very best to be there.

Chris.

kevin
07-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Brian,
Getting a bit nervous. Finish on Friday for 3 weeks and everything in order for me to be away - so being in Liverpool on Wednesday was not a problem.
But have now heard I've an informal interview tomorrow for a minor promotion - and it's fairly certain I'll get it. This brings a set of problems I wasn't expecting and being away from work this week could now be a problem. I'll leave it to the last minute to decide, after I see how things are going. I'll ring you if I can't make it.

Ged
07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm hoping no one cries off ill this week or on wednesday in particular. We're already on a summer hols skeleton staff with the workload increased on all of us remaining and I heard prelimenary sniffles from one lass on friday - saying nothing :) I already take the work's landline on divert to my moby - my mates call me buzby as i'm never off it, hope it's not true about signals/waves to the brain with having a moby glued to it all hours god sends.

kevin
07-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey Brian,
any chance you could post a link to the story which led to Fred contacting you? I remember the basics but not whether it was on here or Sailors Home.

brian daley
07-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Kevin,
I cannot remember the link, I have got Fred Mobile number,will that help? By the way you party goers,Clancy and meself+ wife are booked in for the night in a hotel that is within crawling distance of the Liverpool bar,so we wont't be going home early.
Don't forget,we are dribbling in about 4ish and won't go until Fred chucks us out. See you there,
BrianD

brian daley
07-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Just had some great news from Scotland,that celebrated Scots poet and the author of the Novena trilogy (I know there are only two, but you can bet your sweet bippy there will be another one) has now been cleared by the Border controls and has been given permission to enter Liverpool for our Wednesday meet up;do not be afraid to approach him ,he has been given all the jabs!!!
If there are any more to come ,please let me know by tomorrow afternoon. I might have to send the landlord down for another sliced loaf and a tin of corned beef,
See you soon,
BrianD

corky100
07-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Who's going then? I'm very tempted myself.......:)

brian daley
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Corky, Who's going? so far I have had 45 promises and some apologies. Angelina Jolie said she'd pop in if there were any pies left and that Brad Pitt was sniffy about corned beef sandwiches ;but it will mostly be Yo,'ers both old and new,it's a big room and could easily cope with a hundred, ,so Corky come along,you would be very welcome!
Cheers,
BrianD

Ron Ham
07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Good luck fellas , Behave yourself Alehouse & pace yourself Brian , hope you all have an enjoyable time , wish I could have been with you swinging the lamps, I gave up swinging on the lamps years ago . Ron :PDT_Piratz_26:

kevin
07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Unless something totally unforseen happens, it now looks like I can be there.
I have to say though that my primary motivation is that Scouse Smurf and Zappa will show up and have their slowy.
Camera locked and loaded!
:PDT_Aliboronz_24:

ItsaZappathing
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Unless something totally unforseen happens, it now looks like I can be there.
I have to say though that my primary motivation is that Scouse Smurf and Zappa will show up and have their slowy.
Camera locked and loaded!

Am game but Smurf will probably have an excuse..Sore leg,ingrown toe nail etc etc.

I just hope you all have a wonderful time.:PDT_Piratz_26:

scouse smurf
07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Am game but Smurf will probably have an excuse..Sore leg,ingrown toe nail etc etc.

I just hope you all have a wonderful time.:PDT_Piratz_26:

No excuse needed, I'm just anti-social so not going lol

I'm sure there'll be a fair few pics posted on here afterwards

kevin
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
No excuse needed, I'm just anti-social so not going lol

I'm sure there'll be a fair few pics posted on here afterwards

Nope - we'll keep all records of fun to ourselves.

What happens in the Liverpool Arms stays in the Liverpool Arms.

Kev
07-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Nope - we'll keep all records of fun to ourselves.

What happens in the Liverpool Arms stays in the Liverpool Arms.

lol :PDT11

Kev
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, a big thanks to Mr Daley for arranging the get-together. I went after work and met Greg's Dad [Joe] and Kevin again plus Brian obviously.

Everyone is probably bladdered by now and enjoying themselves, I'm back home and having a beer pretending I'm here :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

It was a pleasure to have been there amongst Brian's family and friends.

Bloody 'ell - those Ex Merchant Seaman have many stories! A fascinating bunch and I'm glad they chose Yo! as their online home.

I look forward to the conclusion of the tale Brian told us all, hope it gets the recognition it deserves!

Kev

Ged
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Sorry I didn't make it, here till just gone 6.30 - a long day from 7am.

Glad it all seems to have gone very well, sent Brian a text yesterday.

All the best to you all.

Ged.

kevin
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Just got back to deepest, darkest midlands. I echo Kev's sentiments - it was nice to put a few more faces to names. Discovered that Clancy only lives 4 miles away from me.

Ged - you were missed. We kept half a sandwich for you but it eventually disappeared. Maybe next time...

PS
I know it is hard to believe, but tabnab is even better looking than his avatar.
:rolleyes:

gregs dad
07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/438836759_c37aa2ba3b_o.jpg
Nice to meet all you folk
All the party dispersing after a good night

ItsaZappathing
07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
So glad to hear you all had a fine time.
Sorry I couldn't be there. Maybe next time if you're unlucky enough:PDT_Piratz_26:

brian daley
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
It was a day of days, the people who turned up were so nice,conversation flowed(as did the beer) and I saw people relax in each others company.
I'm back home in the Midlands,but my heart and mind are still up in the 'Pool.
To meet Jimmy Black after a lapse of 60 years was tremendous, to see Big Kevin and our Kev deep in animated conversation was nice,Gregs Dad,Joe was quietly funny ,and his picture is almost true. Captain Kong and Tabnab were bloody marvellous for having made great journeys just to be and Fred the landlord proved to be a great host. There were so many there that it is hard to remeber them all , Clancy and his brother Cliff came up from Brum,Richie ,Billy and some old boys from the Vindi were there too and my kinfolk turned out en masse. The night was ended all too soon and we travellers repaired to our homes and hostelries to savour the moments. Fred ,Clancy,Cliff and we two went back to the Atlantic Towers ,where we had a nightcap before going to our rooms.
We resolved upon a crusade to put right a bit of Liverpools History, whilst the city embarks upon the opening of an exciting new museum in 2010. we at Yo should endeavour to see that it includes the story of a true hero. I am talking about Billy Swinchin and will expand upon this further later on.
BrianD

scouse mouse
07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
How often do you do the get-togethers?

It would be nice to meet up with you all when I'm over next in September.

brian daley
07-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Well Scouse Mouse, the answer to that question is ,not often enough!!
I would love to do it once again, but I'm biased. How about the rest of you good people ? An annual Yo! Day? I'd love it; with enough notice I reckon we could fill St Georges Hall .
BrianD

brian daley
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I am having great difficulty in posting any of the pictures of the meet up . I keep getting "download failed". What am I doing wrong? I posted a ship picture succesfully to see if my computer was O.K. Help!!

Ged
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Just try the manage attachments facility on this site instead of an external uploading site. They'll be in thumbnail form but we can click on them to enlarge them. :PDT11

Ron B Manderson
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Sorry I could not make it to that one , and bob's
Work they say.
I'm retired and am working harder than ever.
You know the saying " punched or bored" well thats me just now .

If there is one in sept I will put in my written request in now to the wife etc.
I know you would all have a great time .
It's always good to see an ugle face insted of a voice . LOL
So I hope all is wqell with you all and hope to be at the next one.

Ps Was it english beer they had not the good stuff. Ah ! well i suppose that would have to do. The things I do for you lot even drink english beer.( I'm going before the linch party arrives here .

Ron (batman):PDT_Aliboronz_11:

Ronijayne
07-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Maybe I can make it next year.

ChrisGeorge
07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Well Scouse Mouse, the answer to that question is ,not often enough!!
I would love to do it once again, but I'm biased. How about the rest of you good people ? An annual Yo! Day? I'd love it; with enough notice I reckon we could fill St Georges Hall .
BrianD

Hello Brian

I am going to be in Liverpool in October, specifically the weekend of October 17-18. I was last in the city in May 2007 and met with Kev and his good wife Collette and a number of Yo-ers at that time at the Alma de Santiago, Dovedale Towers, as shown below.

Chris

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/523888450_b0682412dc_o.jpg

Billy D
07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice to meet all the yoers,,,

And finaly met my couzins Brian And Jesse after all these years(40 plus),,,plus so many distant relations,,,,

Hopefully we will meet up a bit sooner next time,,lol,,

Also think its a good idea to have a yoer anual meet up,,

Then i can buy KEV THAT PINT I OWE HIM,,,,cheers Kev,,when i got back to the bar ,,you had gone mate

Nice Nite

Billy

santos
07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Sorry I missed you all, havnt been too good of late but feeling better today. Glad you all had a great day and hope that if there is another one I can make it.

Chris.

ChrisGeorge
07-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Sorry I missed you all, havnt been too good of late but feeling better today. Glad you all had a great day and hope that if there is another one I can make it.

Chris.

Hello Chris

Sorry you have been poorly. Perhaps if a meet-up can be arranged for my weekend in Liverpool in mid-October I'll have a chance to meet you then. :PDT11

Chris :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Paddy
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I hope it went well. I have been busy moving home and I am now safeley tucked up in my new flat. One day I will come to Liverpool and show you all how good at dancing I am.:celb (23)::celb (23)::celb (23):

brian daley
07-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Chris George, If I am perambulant on that date in October my wife and I will be there(plus the odd dozen or so cousins) and we can have one hell of a party. It feels a bit flat now that little 'do' of ours is over so it will give us a little something to look forward, especially Paddys' dancing. Hmmm, what does Paddy dance like? a child of the 70's, will he be Vogueing or maybe a bit of body popping..............the Grafton shuffle? I can't wait!!!
BrianD

brian daley
07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
This is a picture of Fred Billingsley and his relatives (I'm the Bearded old git),his mum is in the wheelchair and she is the daughter of Billy Swinchin.Fred is the landlord of the Liverpool Bar.

brian daley
07-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Here are a few more from Wednesday,I have included a couple of shots from our hotel, all the others are from the 'do'. In the first picture we have my Vindi mate Richie Bradshaw and Jimmy Black my old classmate of 62 years ago.The group photo has my wife showing her roots next to her is Jessamee(my sister)then there are a whole row of cousins. Picture 5 shows Ernie(Milkman) and his wife Pauline. Picture 6 shows Fred (Tabnab)who came all the way from Scotland ,I bet he picked up some more material for his next chapter of Novella!. And then we have Kevin, he really will have to change his aftershave. Finally we can see some more folk having a good time on table 5. I could'nt post all the pictures ,some of them were rubbish, but Jess took some corkers so maybe she might post someon here,
Cheers,
BrianD

santos
07-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Hello Chris

Sorry you have been poorly. Perhaps if a meet-up can be arranged for my weekend in Liverpool in mid-October I'll have a chance to meet you then. :PDT11

Chris :PDT_Aliboronz_24:

Thanks Chris, I look forward to that.

Chris.

kevin
07-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Here are a few more from Wednesday,I have included a couple of shots from our hotel, all the others are from the 'do'. In the first picture we have my Vindi mate Richie Bradshaw and Jimmy Black my old classmate of 62 years ago.The group photo has my wife showing her roots next to her is Jessamee(my sister)then there are a whole row of cousins. Picture 5 shows Ernie(Milkman) and his wife Pauline. Picture 6 shows Fred (Tabnab)who came all the way from Scotland ,I bet he picked up some more material for his next chapter of Novella!. And then we have Kevin, he really will have to change his aftershave. Finally we can see some more folk having a good time on table 5. I could'nt post all the pictures ,some of them were rubbish, but Jess took some corkers so maybe she might post someon here,
Cheers,
BrianD

It was the flatulence, not the aftershave!