PDA

View Full Version : Irish Cattle Boats sinks in the Mersey

graysonlad
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Did I imagine this or did it really happen?
I seem to recall that a boat, carrying cattle from Ireland to Birkenhead sank in the River Mersey.
Many of the cattle drowned but some swam ashore. The boat would have been bound for Birkenhead. Once in the docks, the cattle would then be driven along the special cattle runs, along the river wall. they would then been driven, along the public roads by herders to the slaughter house. I seem to recall cattle being driven along Rose Brae from the docks.

Can any one fill in the details, I think it was some time in the 1950's

Waterways
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
That is so. Some cattle swam ashore on Crosby beach. The cattle came ashore where 12-Quays is now. The cattle walked along the river wall and over a locks gate. There was hoardings so they did not see the water. They walked into the large slaughter house complex which was between Woodside and Birkenhead Docks. They did not go along public roads.

backsplice
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
That is so. Some cattle swam ashore on Crosby beach. The cattle came ashore where 12-Quays is now. The cattle walked along the river wall and over a locks gate. There was hoardings so they did not see the water. They walked into the large slaughter house complex which was between Woodside and Birkenhead Docks. They did not go along public roads..

That slaughterhouse complex was called the Lairage. One of the cattle boats I recall was called the Dundalk. We had her in Lairds for repairs in the early sixties. I was working ashore at the time as a stager in the yard and I remember erecting a platform for riveters to work on in the hold. It stank!
Backsplice

Ron Ham
04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I have just submitted a long reply to this thread , but it was not accepted because it claimed I was not logged in ,when in fact I was ! Why ! Ron

Ged
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
That's happened to me as though you're timed out, but you shouldn't lose your reply, so when you re-log in, it will still appear.

lindylou
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
It's happened to me a few times. :034: It drives you mad if you lose a long post after taking a long time to type.
Maybe If you're not fast at typing like me, it might be advisable to type everything in a word document first at your own pace, then copy it straight over to reply post.

gregs dad
04-30-2009, 05:07 PM

That slaughterhouse complex was called the Lairage. One of the cattle boats I recall was called the Dundalk. We had her in Lairds for repairs in the early sixties. I was working ashore at the time as a stager in the yard and I remember erecting a platform for riveters to work on in the hold. It stank!
Backsplice

The remnants of the old cattle pier are still there see
http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?p=161119&highlight=cattle+pier#post161119

Waterways
04-30-2009, 07:18 PM
It's happened to me a few times. :034: It drives you mad if you lose a long post after taking a long time to type.
Maybe If you're not fast at typing like me, it might be advisable to type everything in a word document first at your own pace, then copy it straight over to reply post.

After writing every post I do this:

1. put cursor in the text.
2. <Ctl> A - (this highights the text)
3. <Ctl> Insert - puts the highlighted text into the memory buffer. Now saved!!!

If any problems then you can retrieve the text. Put the cursor in a box (or even Word) and then <shift> insert. The text it pasted out of the buffer.

Just a few quick key stokes and all is well.

Try it.

lindylou
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks WW.

I've noted that down and will give it a try. :)

Paddy
04-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I do it like you suggested Lindylou. Sometimes after you have transferred you must re register.

scouse smurf
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm sure I read all that about copying and pasting a cpl of months ago but it says it was all posted today

Ron Ham
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Did I imagine this or did it really happen?
I seem to recall that a boat, carrying cattle from Ireland to Birkenhead sank in the River Mersey.
Many of the cattle drowned but some swam ashore. The boat would have been bound for Birkenhead. Once in the docks, the cattle would then be driven along the special cattle runs, along the river wall. they would then been driven, along the public roads by herders to the slaughter house. I seem to recall cattle being driven along Rose Brae from the docks.

Can any one fill in the details, I think it was some time in the 1950's

The vessel was the Stormont & sank on the Pluckington Bank off Albert Dk ,after colliding with the Trooper Empire Brent ,former Letitia , in 1946 , Ron